PDA

View Full Version : Plastic surgery--to do or not to do

SaintLouieWoman
07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
The other day I was amazed by a couple of my neighbors. They were attractive women in their 60's. They started chatting about all the plastic surgeries they have had and the new ones contemplated.

I've had enough "real" surgeries in my life and would never think of letting myself in for all that extraneous pain. The one talked about a laser procedure where they didn't give her anesthesia and she felt like her face was on fire. She said after the pain, it looked good. The other one talked about all the botox and restalin etc that she's had over the years.

They blithely talked about "only" $500 or up for the shots and the specials being offered---buy whatever and get other stuff free, as if they were talking about grocery store coupons.

Then they started on expensive face creams. One said that the Elizabeth Arden creams were a buy at about $125 or so each (uses 3 products). I guess they thought I wasn't with the program when I said I get the two pack of face cream (Oil of Olay Renerist) at Costco's on sale for $30, with the occasional coupon from them.

Ladies (or guys) would you get plastic surgery if the inevitable aging starts? I'm sure the one woman's husband had it, because I started looking at his face more closely and noticed how smooth the skin is.

Is it necessary to compete in business in the youth oriented culture?

linda22003
07-26-2011, 07:57 PM
I would do an under-eye tuck, and probably will in a few years. Nothing to do with the business world, just for me.

Hawkgirl
07-26-2011, 07:58 PM
I've thought about it...but I'm 42 and still no wrinkles...thanks to my olive oil skin.

Ask me in 10 years.

Rockntractor
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I would do an under-eye tuck, and probably will in a few years. Nothing to do with the business world, just for me.

They will look like two new buttons on a leather boot.

Madisonian
07-26-2011, 08:49 PM
The only plastic surgery I am in favor of for my wife is cutting up the credit cards.
Does that count?:confused:

CueSi
07-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Gonna lift the girls when I get old. I'm lucky enough that they're not aftermarket. :)

~QC

SaintLouieWoman
07-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Gonna lift the girls when I get old. I'm lucky enough that they're not aftermarket. :)

~QC
Probably not a bad idea but I think I'd just go buy a better bra. :D

As I said, I'm adverse to pain. Speaking of major league pain, just scheduled my knee replacement surgery for October 4th. Ouch. Have to admit that I'm basically terrified.

CueSi
07-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Probably not a bad idea but I think I'd just go buy a better bra. :D

As I said, I'm adverse to pain. Speaking of major league pain, just scheduled my knee replacement surgery for October 4th. Ouch. Have to admit that I'm basically terrified.

I actually sleep in a soft bra, and that's helped 'em along quite a bit. :D

~QC

SaintLouieWoman
07-26-2011, 10:12 PM
I actually sleep in a soft bra, and that's helped 'em along quite a bit. :D

~QC
Probably haven't helped mine. I had a large mole removed over a week ago on my side. It hurt to wear a bra, so I was an old hippie for a week. :eek:

Starbuck
07-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Plastic surgery. Nah. I had my first 'real' surgery last month. Hopefully, I will never have general anesthesia again.

I'm 66. In good shape. It'll have to do.

If Mrs Trucker wants to, I wouldn't say no, but general anesthesia is a very serious matter. Basically, you're dead except for the machines.

Articulate_Ape
07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Short answer? Just say no.

http://www.topsocialite.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/jocelyn-wildenstein-horror.jpg

Nuff said.

Apache
07-26-2011, 11:35 PM
DON'T!!!!!!!

If they don't love you for you, then they don't love the new 'vette, they turned into a pick-up truck....

Just sayin'....

I was not here :o

Articulate_Ape
07-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Like I once heard someone say (wish I could remember who), "If they don't love you for you, then they don't love the new 'vette, they turned into a pick-up truck...."

RobJohnson
07-27-2011, 01:06 AM
The only plastic surgery I am in favor of for my wife is cutting up the credit cards.
Does that count?:confused:

:D

I know a couple friends that went in for all kinds of surgery after having kids so they could look like they were 20 years old again.

I've also seen, like most of us have, botox gone bad...it makes your face look like a pumpkin with a smile.

I am not really a big fan of surgery to correct the natural aging process. If you really love & care about someone I doubt you would notice a wrinkle or two.

SaintLouieWoman
07-27-2011, 08:48 AM

http://www.topsocialite.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/jocelyn-wildenstein-horror.jpg

Nuff said.

Scary. Who is this? Think of how much pain and bucks it took to get to look like that. :eek:

SaintLouieWoman
07-27-2011, 08:51 AM
:D

I know a couple friends that went in for all kinds of surgery after having kids so they could look like they were 20 years old again.

I've also seen, like most of us have, botox gone bad...it makes your face look like a pumpkin with a smile.

I am not really a big fan of surgery to correct the natural aging process. If you really love & care about someone I doubt you would notice a wrinkle or two.

That's my theory. Hope it's SR's. :D

Articulate_Ape
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Scary. Who is this? Think of how much pain and bucks it took to get to look like that. :eek:

Jocelyn Wildenstein (http://theberry.com/2010/07/30/jocelyn-wildenstein-shouldve-stopped-while-she-was-ahead-14-photos/)

linda22003
07-27-2011, 05:57 PM

The papers called her "Bride of Wildenstein" and it was actually a condition of her alimony that she couldn't spend any of it on plastic surgery.

Hawkgirl
07-27-2011, 06:10 PM
A woman in Miami died last year from an infection after butt inplants.

Hawkgirl
07-27-2011, 06:11 PM

Nuff said.

Do you have a before pic? Plastic surgery doesn't make people look younger, it makes them look different.

SaintLouieWoman
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Do you have a before pic? Plastic surgery doesn't make people look younger, it makes them look different.

Good point. My friend who's had a lot of surgery does look different. I never saw her before, but there was always something a bit odd about her face. It's a shame she has to depend on it, because she's a very attractive woman with a killer sense of humor and a great joy of life. When she smiles, her face lights up. Her husband of 44 years adores her. He indulges her, but I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy if she would just settle down and realize how attractive she is.

linda22003
07-27-2011, 08:39 PM

Here are pictures of her at several points along the way.
She makes Michael Jackson look normal.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bQ0SqifjNcg/TE8vF8xRaNI/AAAAAAAAZak/E7Z2SyKj--g/s400/jocelyn-wildenstein-before-after-2.jpg

noworries
07-27-2011, 11:39 PM
I had one surgery and that was for a overbite when I was a teenager that was enough pain to never want to ever go back under the knife.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
07-28-2011, 03:14 PM
No. I think wrinkles and signs of aging give a man's face character. Why erase what's naturally there? I wouldn't dye my hair either, really. I think a touch of gray at the temples looks dignified. And men don't go fully gray in my family until their late 60s so it's all good.

noonwitch
07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
My insurance covers skin removal after weight loss once in your lifetime. When I get to my goal, I'm getting it done. I'm hoping they can lift the boobs, too, but now that I am in regular bra sizes, I've been able to get better support than the crap they sell at The Avenue.

I don't want to have any surgery on my face, except if there is excess skin there, too-so far, this hasn't happened during the weight loss. I have pretty youthful skin, with only a few lines. I don't want to look fake.

I thought I'd get the eye baggage that my mom had at my age, but so far, so good. I think the Aveda products are helping in that regard. My mom wears glasses, now, so she doesn't complain about her eye bagage anymore.