PDA

View Full Version : A rising hunger among children

bijou
07-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Doctors at a major Boston hospital report they are seeing more hungry and dangerously thin young children in the emergency room than at any time in more than a decade of surveying families.

Many families are unable to afford enough healthy food to feed their children, say the Boston Medical Center doctors. The resulting chronic hunger threatens to leave scores of infants and toddlers with lasting learning and developmental problems.

Before the economy soured in 2007, 12 percent of youngsters age 3 and under whose families were randomly surveyed in the hospital’s emergency department were significantly underweight. In 2010, that percentage jumped to 18 percent, and the tide does not appear to be abating, said Dr. Megan Sandel, an associate professor of pediatrics and public health at BMC. ...http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-28/lifestyle/29826064_1_food-pantries-family-physicians-emergency-room

NJCardFan
07-29-2011, 06:50 AM
If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

linda22003
07-29-2011, 08:06 AM
We've been hearing kids are obese, kids are too fat, now this. Which is it?

Starbuck
07-29-2011, 10:23 AM
If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

From the article:

The 27-year-old single Lowell mother, a former telemarketer who is now unemployed, relies on food pantries and other public assistance to feed her three young sons.
Uh huh.........3 kids, single, apparently no real marketable skills.

fettpett
07-29-2011, 10:38 AM
and hunger is defined by mission ONE meal in a 24 our period in this country :rolleyes:

marv
07-29-2011, 10:47 AM

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I first saw it on Drudge..........

Odysseus
07-29-2011, 10:51 AM
From the article:

Uh huh.........3 kids, single, apparently no real marketable skills.

What's her DU name? :D

jnkbortka
07-29-2011, 10:55 AM
What's her DU name? :D

if she was on DU she would've aborted them. :(

Starbuck
07-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Apparently, the solution would be to move these kids to Mississippi. Somehow, we managed to be both the poorest and fattest people in the U.S.:confused:

noonwitch
07-29-2011, 12:00 PM
The researchers need to find other things that connect the hungry kids, such as parental issues. It's not about poverty. There are lots of poor, fat children, at least in this country.

Wei Wu Wei
07-29-2011, 05:42 PM
kids need to find their damn bootstraps and get a job, if I can do it they have no excuse

Wei Wu Wei
07-29-2011, 05:43 PM

you might find that they are often not the same kids being talked about

then there's this:

“Babies born with low birth weight may become metabolically programmed during gestation to become very efficient at conserving calories, thus becoming obese later in life,’’ Pérez-Escamilla said.

Odysseus
07-29-2011, 06:48 PM

then there's this:

Either way, they'll still end up in your special ed class.

Rockntractor
07-29-2011, 07:06 PM
kids need to find their damn bootstraps and get a job, if I can do it they have no excuse

What is your job?

MrsSmith
07-29-2011, 08:30 PM
I would seriously wonder about this story. If US kids are actually hungry, it's more likely because Mom does things like turning aside the stuff that takes some work to cook, like bagged rice and beans, than because the food isn't available.

Having lived most of my adult life in neighborhoods alongside the welfare-poor, I have seen firsthand how they function. One neighbor used to bring us all the food that she didn't want to spend time cooking from the government commodities hand out and from food pantries. Then she'd complain that they "never have enough to make it through the end of the month." :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
07-29-2011, 10:03 PM

For the slow to learn:
http://rlv.zcache.com/if_you_cant_feed_em_dont_breed_em_bumper_sticker-p128504023165210078trl0_400.jpg

Odysseus
07-29-2011, 10:10 PM
What is your job?

He claims to be a teacher, but will not tell what subject he is qualified to teach (I suspect that he's an education major, which is the bottom of the academic barrel).

MrsSmith
07-29-2011, 10:42 PM
He claims to be a teacher, but will not tell what subject he is qualified to teach (I suspect that he's an education major, which is the bottom of the academic barrel).

Judging by the thought given most of his answers, he teaches remedial kindergarten.

Rockntractor
07-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Judging by the thought given most of his answers, he teaches remedial kindergarten.

Do you really think small children could be fooled by him?
Maybe he teaches liberals how to lie or something like that.:confused:

jnkbortka
07-29-2011, 11:02 PM

then there's this:

if only people in africa were born with that gene... :p

Zathras
07-29-2011, 11:03 PM

He probably teaches Phys Ed,

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach, teach phys ed.

lacarnut
07-30-2011, 12:38 AM

Plus 1

:thumbsup: :applause:

Odysseus
07-30-2011, 01:25 AM

He probably teaches Phys Ed,

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach, teach phys ed.

I think that he teaches remedial Phys Ed to special needs kids.

http://davidcgarcia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/retards-partying.jpg

MrsSmith
07-30-2011, 09:07 AM
I think that he teaches remedial Phys Ed to special needs kids.

http://davidcgarcia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/retards-partying.jpg

Nah, that's a job that actually takes work, thought and compassion.

However, remedial kindergarten (if it even exists) just involves counting to 20, saying the alphabet, and coloring...a lot. And since the real kindergarten teachers actually do their work, the classes are extremely small...in the range of 0 kids. Exactly the right kind of job for WWW. His only real genius was in lucking into a job in some left-wing school district where he managed to get tenure before they realized his classes were always empty. :D