PDA

View Full Version : Cop under fire for beating, arresting man -- for videotaping police!

megimoo
07-30-2011, 02:43 PM
A Las Vegas police officer under investigation for the videotaped beating of a man in March violated several Metropolitan Police Department policies, an internal investigation found.

Mitchell Crooks' complaint about officer Derek Colling's excessive force was sustained, Deputy Chief Gary Schofield said Friday.....The specific policy violations will not be released until the case is finalized.....Crooks, 36, received a letter from the Internal Affairs Bureau notifying him of the findings earlier this week.

He said he was pleasantly surprised....."It seems like they're saying he was guilty, which is what I've been saying," Crooks said. "I really hope he gets fired.".....Colling has been on paid suspension since April 1.
snip
If Colling's supervisors recommend his firing, he will go before a pre-termination board for a final appeal. The harshest punishment short of firing is a 40-hour unpaid suspension.

Crooks' lawyer, David Otto, intends to sue Colling and the Police Department.....Otto wrote a letter in April to Sheriff Douglas Gillespie demanding $500,000 to cover Crooks' medical care, pain and suffering. The Police Department has not paid anything, he said.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/police-inquiry-reveals-violations-in-arrest-beating-of-videographer-126438953.html

NJCardFan
07-30-2011, 09:25 PM
You know, just once I'd like to see a positive law enforcement thread on these boards.

AmPat
07-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Most people have a bad cop story. I've got a couple. Still, for every bad cop story, I have a dozen good cop stories.

I'll take this opportunity to tell law enforcement personnel; Thank you for your service.

Better?:D

newshutr
07-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Being a news videographer....I'm gonna keep my mouth shut...

djones520
07-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Well I got a good cop story. :D

I once got pulled over for going 30 above the speed limit, without current registration, and no insurance. Cop took a glance at my Military ID and told me to get out of there. Saved me a SHITLOAD of trouble, cause I most likely would have ended up going AWOL had he done what he was supposed to since I was several states away from my duty station.

That man was several shades of awesome.

AmPat
07-31-2011, 10:25 AM
At the risk of opening old wounds, what is it with these cops? They forget they have video rolling?
I heard yesterday of the Canton Ohio Trooper that threatened a registered CC citizen that he stopped.
???:confused:

djones520
07-31-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm willing to bet that a large portion of stuff like that is just cumalitive years of dealing with assholes who think their above the law, coming to a head.

I spent the day with a Michigan DNR Officer a couple weeks ago, and she told me that the biggest thing I've gotta be prepared for in that job is dealing with beligerant people. You always run into them. I'd imagine that after so many years on the job, "snapping" just wouldn't be out of the question.

fettpett
07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm willing to bet that a large portion of stuff like that is just cumalitive years of dealing with assholes who think their above the law, coming to a head.

I spent the day with a Michigan DNR Officer a couple weeks ago, and she told me that the biggest thing I've gotta be prepared for in that job is dealing with beligerant people. You always run into them. I'd imagine that after so many years on the job, "snapping" just wouldn't be out of the question.

where in MI are you looking to go?

and i thought you reupped:confused:

djones520
07-31-2011, 10:53 AM
where in MI are you looking to go?

and i thought you reupped:confused:

NW, Traverse City region. And my reenlistment won't be until Feb. But I am going to reup. I'm just looking at post AF career paths right now since i'm halfway through my career.

fettpett
07-31-2011, 10:54 AM
NW, Traverse City region. And my reenlistment won't be until Feb. But I am going to reup. I'm just looking at post AF career paths right now since i'm halfway through my career.

ah, gotcha, I'll probably be in the UP by the time you get out

Rockntractor
07-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Most people have a bad cop story. I've got a couple. Still, for every bad cop story, I have a dozen good cop stories.

I'll take this opportunity to tell law enforcement personnel; Thank you for your service.

Better?:D

I had some very good friends in the Tulsa Police Department, many years ago I helped several of them form a church in Tulsa. They told me the department was just like the society it served, there was good and bad and hard working and lazy. There are no supermen or gods among them, it's a way to make a living.

Novaheart
07-31-2011, 10:58 AM
You know, just once I'd like to see a positive law enforcement thread on these boards.

http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?p=438258#post438258

Novaheart
07-31-2011, 11:07 AM
At the risk of opening old wounds, what is it with these cops? They forget they have video rolling?
I heard yesterday of the Canton Ohio Trooper that threatened a registered CC citizen that he stopped.
???:confused:

I think people forget the size and shape of this country when they see the news and world condensed into the screen of a computer or TV. Figures vary depending upon what you consider a law enforcement officer, but it's pretty safe to say that there are about 600,000 sworn (armed) law enforcement officers in the US.

Yes it would be nice if they were all well versed and thoroughly respectful of the US Constitution and all applicable laws. But they aren't. So if there is one bad-cop story per day on the news or internet buzz, that's a six one hundredths of one percent "bad cop" rate. Now if you double that to include abusive cops who don't take action so they don't get in the news, and double it again to include the simply rude, then double it again to include the rude and obnoxious but within the law and professional standards you're still only up to a less than one percent bad-cop ratio.

newshutr
07-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Thing is...

It's not so much a bad cop story as it is an prevention of rights story..

Rockntractor
07-31-2011, 11:25 AM

Here is a list of positive law enforcement threads you have started.
If I have missed any please feel free to add.

megimoo
07-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Well I got a good cop story. :D

I once got pulled over for going 30 above the speed limit, without current registration, and no insurance. Cop took a glance at my Military ID and told me to get out of there. Saved me a SHITLOAD of trouble, cause I most likely would have ended up going AWOL had he done what he was supposed to since I was several states away from my duty station.

That man was several shades of awesome.
And you were several shades of stupid for being in a situation like that...

Novaheart
07-31-2011, 04:32 PM
There is also a function of collective memory on stuff like this. I have a good friend, well a long term friend anyway, who sometimes tells me a story that he appears to honestly believe happened to him, but it actually comes from my repertoire. I'm a really good story teller, and sometimes people seem to feel like they were there. And I have done a lot of stupid and funny things that make for good stories. But I also know people who repeat urban legends as if they actually happened to them, and they believe that they did. I don't understand the process, but I am witness to it.

djones520
07-31-2011, 04:45 PM
And you were several shades of stupid for being in a situation like that...

I was 19. It comes with the territory.

megimoo
07-31-2011, 05:49 PM
I was 19. It comes with the territory.For some slow learners....

Rockntractor
07-31-2011, 06:01 PM
:popcorn:

Bubba Dawg
07-31-2011, 09:04 PM
I really don't have any "bad cop" stories. I have several "good cop" stories, for that matter.

When I see a story like this one (I also just saw it on the news about two hours ago) I look at it first from the point of view of police officers who do dangerous and oftentimes distastful work. I appreciate what they do.

Having said that, I also look at it from the perspective of citizens who have rights. This officer apparently has an issue with people who have concealed carry permits. He can believe as he wishes but the law is the law. Apparently Ohio has a requirement that conceal carry permit holders must inform an officer in a traffic stop that they are armed. The best way to do this is to hand the license and the permit to the officer at the same time if that is possible.

If this driver did something stupid in how he handled this requirement then that could understandably cause the officer to percieve a threat and take action. But the police officer apparently couldn't shut down that startle response and went on on on and he did it on camera.

I believe that this officer was way out of line in the nature and tone of his comments toward this driver. I also saw in the news report tonight that this same officer was involved in another incident of a similar naure about a year ago where he threatened to shoot someone he had pulled over at a traffic stop while they were seated in the back of his car.

Vidoe with audio in both cases. He is currently on paid administrative leave according to the news story tonight. He doesn't need to be on the street with a badge and a gun if he can't control his temper.

Crap. I posted this in the wrong thread. I was trying to post in the one about the police officer in Ohio who was videotaped on his car's dash cam or whatever it's called. I haven't seen anything on this story.

Sorry. :o

NJCardFan
07-31-2011, 10:11 PM
Here is a list of positive law enforcement threads you have started.
If I have missed any please feel free to add.

Um, this is a political forum. Also, I don't scour the interwebs in search of, well, anything. And lastly, you seem to have entirely missed the point. But then again, that's your M.O.

djones520
07-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Um, this is a political forum. Also, I don't scour the interwebs in search of, well, anything. And lastly, you seem to have entirely missed the point. But then again, that's your M.O.

Rockntractor
07-31-2011, 10:20 PM

Um, this is a political forum. Also, I don't scour the interwebs in search of, well, anything.

Rockntractor
07-31-2011, 10:21 PM

He seems to have answered his own post!:D