PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joe's dumpsters are full of fresh, nutritious food

SarasotaRepub
07-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Wow (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1614580), these super geniuses, these intellectuals, can't figure out
why stores have to throw out food...

Liberal_in_LA (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-30-11 04:15 PM
Original message Trader Joe's dumpsters are full of fresh, nutritious foodhttp://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/transparent.gif
A new documentary about food waste could dampen grocery chain Trader Joe’s crunchy image.

"Dive" illustrates the waste of wholesome food by following a group of “Dumpster divers,” people who mine trash bins for usable products. In the film, the divers are not homeless or even particularly poor; they just don't like to see good food go to waste, and they like to get stuff for free.

“In the United States, even our trash cans are filled with food; you just have to go get it,” director Jeremy Seifert says during the film’s opening sequence.

The “freegan” divers – Seifert, his wife, Jennifer, and a bunch of their friends – discover large quantities of fresh meat, vegetables and fruit in bins behind a couple of Trader Joe’s stores in the Los Angeles area. Seifert is appalled that so much food that is not spoiled and not past its freshness date is being discarded.

But Seifert says the target of his film is wastefulness, not Trader Joe’s.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/07/29/freegans-dumpster-d... (http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/07/29/freegans-dumpster-diving/)

These super duper (in their own minds) brain surgeons can be dum as bricks when they want to be...:vomit::D

Odysseus
07-30-2011, 11:36 PM
The Mike Judge series, The Goode Family, gave Freeganomics the treatment that it deserved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisBzIG14q8

bijou
07-31-2011, 04:18 AM
The Mike Judge series, The Goode Family, gave Freeganomics the treatment that it deserved.

That was very good. I eventually found part 2!

SarasotaRepub
07-31-2011, 09:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisBzIG14q8

Oh dear God!!!!! :rotfl:

I loved the part where the nazi "seasoned" his food with his own tears...

That was hilarious!!!

Odysseus
07-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Oh dear God!!!!! :rotfl:

I loved the part where the nazi "seasoned" his food with his own tears...

That was hilarious!!!

I loved that show, but it was doomed from the start. ABC clearly had no idea what they had when they ran the first couple of episodes, and then did everything that they could to scuttle it. Eventually, Comedy Central picked up the remaining episodes. Too bad Fox didn't run it. It would have been perfect after the Simpsons.

SarasotaRepub
07-31-2011, 11:18 AM
I loved that show, but it was doomed from the start. ABC clearly had no idea what they had when they ran the first couple of episodes, and then did everything that they could to scuttle it. Eventually, Comedy Central picked up the remaining episodes. Too bad Fox didn't run it. It would have been perfect after the Simpsons.

LOL!!! I watched the second half. Too funny. I can't believe ABC put that out!!! :eek::D

Odysseus
07-31-2011, 12:53 PM
LOL!!! I watched the second half. Too funny. I can't believe ABC put that out!!! :eek::D

They ran about half the episodes before they figured out that it wasn't another Beavis and Butthead. By then, they had figured out that they could play musical timeslots with it, and then cite the poor ratings that resulted as an excuse to cancel it. They sold it to Comedy Central, which ran the remainder of the season and then buried the show. If it had been in a decent time slot, consistently, then it would have picked up an audience. It was extremely well-written, funny as hell, and had a huge natural audience that would have loved it if it could have gotten to see it.

Irish Mom
07-31-2011, 03:27 PM
I work in a school kitchen, and we throw out good food everyday. It's not for lack of wanting to give it to food shelters, it's because of all the Health Dept. regulations that make it impossible for business to do it. So the very agency that so over regulates "food" also keeps business from sharing it with those who need it.

Novaheart
07-31-2011, 04:37 PM
I work in a school kitchen, and we throw out good food everyday. It's not for lack of wanting to give it to food shelters, it's because of all the Health Dept. regulations that make it impossible for business to do it. So the very agency that so over regulates "food" also keeps business from sharing it with those who need it.

I read that Second Harvest type missionaries often run afoul of the health department.
Publix says they give their day old bread to missions, but it's packaged food that is not out of date. In San Francisco's Castro and Haight neighborhoods, restaurant diners often leave doggie bags on designated half-walls for the homeless (or anyone else) to finish off. It's not the most sanitary system, but eating out of dumpsters would be several rungs down the sanitation ladder from that.

We have freegans around here in Hippieville, quasit homeless types mostly, who take canned and packaged foods out of the dumpster behind the out-of-date and scratch and dent store.

Odysseus
07-31-2011, 06:13 PM
When NYC banned transfats, guess what happened to foods with transfats that were donated to shelters and pantries: Yep, dumped in the trash, because the homeless can't possibly eat anything with transfats. We all know how health-conscious the average homeless person is. They only imbibe free-range crack or crystal meth, for example. :rolleyes:

SarasotaRepub
07-31-2011, 06:30 PM
When NYC banned transfats, guess what happened to foods with transfats that were donated to shelters and pantries: Yep, dumped in the trash, because the homeless can't possibly eat anything with transfats. We all know how health-conscious the average homeless person is. They only imbibe free-range crack or crystal meth, for example. :rolleyes:

They were just "helping". :applause:

SaintLouieWoman
07-31-2011, 07:59 PM
It also extends to the doggies. A long time ago I had a bunch of dog toys that I had washed and wanted to give to the Humane Society, where I used to volunteer. They were shocked---said they couldn't possibly give them to those poor dogs waiting to be put down. Ditto with unopened boxes of dog treats. They'd rather have the dogs go stark raving bonkers in those cages than offer them some comfort.

I lasted there less than 6 months when I realized that I couldn't make a difference and just drove myself crazy. I was a volunteer at the St Louis Zoo for 20 years. They had us bring spices and different pastas (uncooked) and all sorts of treats for some of the animals. I made little roll-ups with tortillas and peanut butter for the apes. The big cats loved perfume, so would bring some of my perfumes for scent marking. Also brought stuff for the elephants.

jediab
08-01-2011, 01:09 PM
It also extends to the doggies. A long time ago I had a bunch of dog toys that I had washed and wanted to give to the Humane Society, where I used to volunteer. They were shocked---said they couldn't possibly give them to those poor dogs waiting to be put down. Ditto with unopened boxes of dog treats. They'd rather have the dogs go stark raving bonkers in those cages than offer them some comfort.

I lasted there less than 6 months when I realized that I couldn't make a difference and just drove myself crazy. I was a volunteer at the St Louis Zoo for 20 years. They had us bring spices and different pastas (uncooked) and all sorts of treats for some of the animals. I made little roll-ups with tortillas and peanut butter for the apes. The big cats loved perfume, so would bring some of my perfumes for scent marking. Also brought stuff for the elephants.

What did the elephants enjoy that you brought them?

That sounds like a ton of fun (pun intended).

**sorry for the thread jack.** :o

NJCardFan
08-01-2011, 06:00 PM
You want to see waste, go to a prison. The amount of food that gets thrown out would make you cry. Inmates would literally go to the pantry window, grab their tray, walk over to the tray guy(who takes care of the dirty trays) dumps their fresh tray into the trash, and moves on.

Odysseus
08-01-2011, 09:15 PM
What did the elephants enjoy that you brought them?

That sounds like a ton of fun (pun intended).

**sorry for the thread jack.** :o

Peanuts. :D

obx
08-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Try the green beef.

jnkbortka
08-01-2011, 09:58 PM
i'd take the dented canned food...

not for hippy reasons, but to save money

sometimes I feel like a jew :D

:lol:

Odysseus
08-01-2011, 10:18 PM
i'd take the dented canned food...

not for hippy reasons, but to save money

sometimes I feel like a jew :D

:lol:

Ahem... :mad:

CueSi
08-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Ahem... :mad:

But. . it's TROOOO...Ever tried to tell a Jewban you cannot haggle over the price of a Michael Kors watch? It's not possible. :p

~QC

Odysseus
08-02-2011, 03:27 PM
But. . it's TROOOO...Ever tried to tell a Jewban you cannot haggle over the price of a Michael Kors watch? It's not possible. :p

~QC

I wear a Casio. Now don't make me mobilize the ADL. :crowds:

CueSi
08-02-2011, 11:04 PM
I wear a Casio. Now don't make me mobilize the ADL. :crowds:

Jewbans and Jewmaicans are a totally different creature to your common New York Jew (Askehanzium Semiticum). . . :p

~QC

Odysseus
08-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Jewbans and Jewmaicans are a totally different creature to your common New York Jew (Askehanzium Semiticum). . . :p

~QC

Okay, pass the dreadlox and bagels, mon. The Jewmaican's in the house. :D