PDA

View Full Version : Putin says U.S. is "parasite" on global economy

Rockntractor
08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
(Reuters) - Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin accused the United States Monday of living beyond its means "like a parasite" on the global economy and said dollar dominance was a threat to the financial markets.

"They are living beyond their means and shifting a part of the weight of their problems to the world economy," Putin told the pro-Kremlin youth group Nashi while touring its lakeside summer camp some five hours drive north of Moscow.

"They are living like parasites off the global economy and their monopoly of the dollar," Putin said at the open-air meeting with admiring young Russians in what looked like early campaigning before parliamentary and presidential polls.

US President Barack Obama earlier announced a last-ditch deal to cut about $2.4 trillion from the U.S. deficit over a decade, avoid a crushing debt default and stave off the risk that the nation's AAA credit rating would be downgraded.

The deal initially soothed anxieties and led Russian stocks to jump to three-month highs, but jitters remained over the possibility of a credit downgrade.

"Thank god," Putin said, "that they had enough common sense and responsibility to make a balanced decision."

But Putin, who has often criticized the United States' foreign exchange policy, noted that Russia holds a large amount of U.S. bonds and treasuries.

"If over there (in America) there is a systemic malfunction,

this will affect everyone," Putin told the young Russians.

"Countries like Russia and China hold a significant part of their reserves in American securities ... There should be other reserve currencies."

U.S.-Russian ties soured during Putin's 2000-2008 presidency but have warmed significantly since his protégé and successor President Dmitry Medvedev responded to Obama's stated desire for a "reset" in bilateral relations.
Read More>http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/01/us-russia-putin-usa-idUSTRE77052R20110801

CueSi
08-01-2011, 11:45 PM
http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/thumbs/13-are-you-serious-face.jpg

Putin, seriously?

~QC

Rockntractor
08-01-2011, 11:52 PM

Putin, seriously?

~QC

Who da thought!:D

Apache
08-01-2011, 11:58 PM

Putin, seriously?

~QC

The surprise underwhelms me....:rolleyes:

Putin is old school commie, I never doubted that he'd pull this....:vomit:

Articulate_Ape
08-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Russia's version of the dad on ALF has spoken--in Russian. You go Vlad!

lacarnut
08-02-2011, 03:18 AM
Russia's version of the dad on ALF has spoken--in Russian. You go Vlad!

That is better than the Vice President (half a brain Biden) calling the Tea Party Terrorists. We are kinda screwing up the rest of the world with our excessive spending and devaluation of the dollar. If king dollar was not the worlds reserve currency, the Russkies would not give a shit. Putin has a good point.

AmPat
08-02-2011, 08:22 AM
It sure gives me a load of confidence knowing that not only does Russia agree and approve the liberal decisions we make, they use the same language as the Dear Leader:

"Thank god," Putin said, "that they had enough common sense and responsibility to make a balanced decision."

fettpett
08-02-2011, 09:03 AM
anyone that thought Russia was a friend is completely misguided, they are still a threat, just not as big of one.

Arroyo_Doble
08-02-2011, 09:06 AM
anyone that thought Russia was a friend is completely misguided, they are still a threat, just not as big of one.

They are not the only ones complaining about the Dollar. China grumbles as well and I think continues to push for an alternate (I notice they don't offer up the Yuan).

AmPat
08-02-2011, 07:36 PM
They are not the only ones complaining about the Dollar. China grumbles as well and I think continues to push for an alternate (I notice they don't offer up the Yuan).

It isn't simply a matter of "grumbling," they called us parasites. That tends to dehumanize us. It is also highly inaccurate since they are the ones that leech off of the US making them the parasites. Screw Putin. We should tell China to eat cake as well.