PDA

View Full Version : Sarcasm, the lowest form of wit... but the best motivator in the workplace

bijou
08-03-2011, 12:11 PM
It might be the lowest form of wit, but it turns out that sarcasm is a great motivator.

Employees who have to put up with a sarcastic colleague or boss are more creative than those who don’t, a study has found.

An earful of snarky barbs every day makes you work harder and smarter than if your office was a more caring environment.

The researchers said that being exposed to sarcasm required more ‘cognitive complexity’, or the ability to see things from more than one angle.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2021601/Sarcasm-lowest-form-wit--best-motivator-workplace.html#ixzz1Tz00EOjg

Yeah, yeah I'm sure this theory is rock solid. :rolleyes:

Novaheart
08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
It might be the lowest form of wit, but it turns out that sarcasm is a great motivator.

Employees who have to put up with a sarcastic colleague or boss are more creative than those who don’t, a study has found.

An earful of snarky barbs every day makes you work harder and smarter than if your office was a more caring environment.

The researchers said that being exposed to sarcasm required more ‘cognitive complexity’, or the ability to see things from more than one angle.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2021601/Sarcasm-lowest-form-wit--best-motivator-workplace.html#ixzz1Tz00EOjg

Not me. I have been too old to put up with that kind of juvenile behavior for a long time. Sarcasm from bosses or coworkers earns a "End of discussion." from me regardless of position. I am too old to put up with BS out of other people, be they clients or bosses. My favorite line is (I actually won applause for this) , "Well, you have used up all your good will for today. So you keep talking and let me know when you are finished."

Starbuck
08-03-2011, 01:50 PM
.............Yeah, yeah I'm sure this theory is rock solid. :rolleyes:

I'm with you. What kind of nitwit put this research together? It's the kind of thing where the result alone should tell you that your methodology was flawed.

Lessee....2 apples plus 4 more apples = 4,286 apples. Yep! Checks out.

fettpett
08-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm with you. What kind of nitwit put this research together? It's the kind of thing where the result alone should tell you that your methodology was flawed.

that sounds like the kind of math they used at my old shop:rolleyes::rolleyes:

medic92
08-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Like your opinion matters. :p

SarasotaRepub
08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Like your opinion matters. :p

Hey medic!!! Long time no see! :D

Hawkgirl
08-03-2011, 09:28 PM
I'd say sarcasm only pisses people off...especially if it's coming from a boss. It's a dissatisfier..

SaintLouieWoman
08-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I'd say sarcasm only pisses people off...especially if it's coming from a boss. It's a dissatisfier..

Agreed. That's why my old company had a revolving door with both admin and sales. Then the sarcastic, nasty one was shown the door. That reminds me, need to follow up with my old buddies and see how they're doing now.

That nastiness only made me more rebellious. My only response when I heard he was let go was "why didn't they do that while I was still there?" He ruined a lot of careers.

I think more people work better with encouragement.

Rockntractor
08-03-2011, 10:30 PM

I'm not real solid, in the middle anyway.:o

medic92
08-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Hey medic!!! Long time no see! :D

Hey, how's it going? I was wondering if I'd still know anyone here, it's good to see you!

hai
08-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Agreed. That's why my old company had a revolving door with both admin and sales. Then the sarcastic, nasty one was shown the door. That reminds me, need to follow up with my old buddies and see how they're doing now.

That nastiness only made me more rebellious. My only response when I heard he was let go was "why didn't they do that while I was still there?" He ruined a lot of careers.

I think more people work better with encouragement.

This.

I never got Sarcasm myself,and i'm always ticked off by people who use it.

Odysseus
08-04-2011, 04:45 PM

I suspect that they were being sarcastic. :D

SaintLouieWoman
08-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Hey, how's it going? I was wondering if I'd still know anyone here, it's good to see you!

Good to see ya, long time, no see. Welcome back. :)