PDA

View Full Version : Obama, on Verge of 50, Returns to Fund-Raising

Carol
08-04-2011, 01:01 AM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4946510)

alp227 (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-03-11 11:32 PM
Original message
Obama, on Verge of 50, Returns to Fund-Raising

Source: The New York Times

CHICAGO — For many men, turning 50 can be a day of reckoning, marked by graying hair, a slowing step and the wistful recognition that you are probably never going to make it to the corner office. What could be better, at such a melancholy moment, than to celebrate at home, among old friends?

But if you are already in the corner office, and it’s oval, you get to celebrate your 50th at a fund-raiser in a Chicago ballroom, with Jennifer Hudson singing “Happy Birthday,” Herbie Hancock jamming and 100 “friends” paying $35,800 a plate to commiserate over dinner, while bankrolling your bid to keep your job.

“It is true that I turn 50 tomorrow,” Mr. Obama told the raucous hometown crowd, “which means that by the time I wake up, I’ll have an e-mail from A.A.R.P., asking me to call President Obama and tell him to protect Medicare.”

For the president, just about any place would be better than where he spent the last month of his 40s — pinned down in the wet-blanket heat of Washington, fighting over health care benefits and tax breaks for corporate jets with an insurgent band of House Republicans eager to paint him as a liberal fossil.

“I hope we can avoid another self-inflicted wound like the one we just saw over the last couple of weeks,” he said, “because we don’t have time to play these partisan games. We’ve got too much work to do.”
Read more: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4946510
1. Yes it was self inflicted by OBAMA and the DEMOCRATS. There was no reason to wait til that point, but........the Democrats refused to take it up last year because they wanted to pin it on the Republicans. And it was THEIR out of control spending that necessitated the increased amount. In just 2.5 years Obama has raised the deficit 80% of what President Bush did in 8 years.

2. If having to do his job is so terrible, he's welcome to quit and he can 'fund raise" and "campaign" 24/7/365 for the rest of his life.

SarasotaRepub
08-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Maybe his Hollywood buds can do a new TV show for him.

Campaigning With The Stars!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D