PDA

View Full Version : Warren Jeffs, Polygamist Leader, Convicted In Child Sexual Assault Case

Hawkgirl
08-04-2011, 06:05 PM
SAN ANGELO, Texas (AP) — A Texas jury has convicted polygamist leader Warren Jeffs on child sexual assault charges in a case stemming from two young followers he took as brides in what his church calls "spiritual marriages."

<snip>

A forensic analyst testified that Jeffs was an almost certain DNA match to the child of a 15-year-old mother. Jeffs also was accused of assaulting a 12-year-old girl..

Jeffs acted as his own attorney and claimed he was a victim of religious persecution.

Religious persecution? He is certainly crazy since he is not even using an attorney. Those poor young girls that live in this lifestyle.
I've watched the first season of Sister Wives, and they claim underage sex isn't part of their culture, but they also describe themselves as Mormon fundamentalists. They seem to have a normal family, just structured completely differently than a normal family unit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/04/warren-jeffs-polygamist-leader-convicted_n_918915.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing10%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C83605

SaintLouieWoman
08-04-2011, 08:20 PM
I heard on one of the news shows this am that they played an audio tape for the jury. It was the sounds of the 12 year old the first time with him. He was rambling about his religion, then could hear the huffing and puffing and the sounds of the poor girls. Then apparently there were other voices, of women, who obviously were witnessing this.

It was said that some of the jurors just put their hands over their faces.

If he walks from this, there probably will be a bigger uproar than here in Florida with Casey Anthony's acquittal.

CueSi
08-04-2011, 08:22 PM
He didn't. Texas has some sanity left. :D

~QC

NJCardFan
08-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Of course to the left, ALL religious people are like him.

SaintLouieWoman
08-04-2011, 08:31 PM
He didn't. Texas has some sanity left. :D

~QC

Thanks, didn't read the opening piece carefully enough. Glad that he's convicted. Texas never did cozy up to criminals. I lived there 7 years and remember all those chase scenes on the evening news, where the perps cars looked like swiss cheese after the Texas Rangers and local cops went after them.

Hawkgirl
08-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks, didn't read the opening piece carefully enough. Glad that he's convicted. Texas never did cozy up to criminals. I lived there 7 years and remember all those chase scenes on the evening news, where the perps cars looked like swiss cheese after the Texas Rangers and local cops went after them.

LOL...gotta love those Texans...and they also execute criminals, speedy trial..and speedy execution.

Hawkgirl
08-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I heard on one of the news shows this am that they played an audio tape for the jury. It was the sounds of the 12 year old the first time with him. He was rambling about his religion, then could hear the huffing and puffing and the sounds of the poor girls. Then apparently there were other voices, of women, who obviously were witnessing this.

It was said that some of the jurors just put their hands over their faces.

If he walks from this, there probably will be a bigger uproar than here in Florida with Casey Anthony's acquittal.

A pedophile with a following...reminds me of something else..

noonwitch
08-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I hope if the court can't impose a life sentence for one count, that Jeffs gets the maximum sentence he can for each count, to be served consecutively.