PDA

View Full Version : Afghan President: 31 Americans Killed in Helicopter Crash

megimoo
08-06-2011, 07:42 AM
KABUL A helicopter crash in Afghanistan's eastern Wardak province has killed 31 U.S. special operation troops and seven Afghan soldiers, the country's president said on Saturday. It was the highest number of casualties recorded in a single incident in the decade-long war.

President Hamid Karzai sent his condolences to President Barack Obama, according to a statement issued by his office.

"A NATO helicopter crashed last night in Wardak province," Karzai said in the statement, adding that 31 American special operations troops were killed. "President Karzai expressed his deep condolences because of this incident and expressed his sympathy to Barack Obama."

NATO confirmed the overnight crash and said the alliance was conducting a recovery operation at the site and investigating the cause of the crash, but did not release details or a casualty figure. The coalition said there "was enemy activity in the area."

"We are aware of an incident involving a helicopter in eastern Afghanistan," said U.S. Air Force Capt. Justin Brockhoff, a NATO spokesman. "We are in the process of accessing the facts."

A spokesman for Wardak province, Shahidullah Shahid, said the helicopter crashed in the Sayd Abad district of Wardak province. The volatile region borders the province of Kabul where the Afghan capital is located and is known for its strong Taliban presence.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08/06/afghan-president-31-americans-killed-in-helicopter-crash/?test=latestnews

A Nato Chinook helicopter has been shot down by Taliban insurgents, killing 31 American special forces soldiers in one of the worst single incidents in Afghanistan.

The aircraft was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade and crashed in the Tangi valley of Wardak province, west of the Afghan capital, Kabul.

A condolence statement from Hamid Karzai said 31 Americans had been killed and seven Afghans, making it the bloodiest incident for the United States and the coalition in the decade-long campaign.

Coalition head quarters in Kabul confirmed a helicopter had crashed in eastern Afghanistan, but a spokesman would not comment on casualty figures.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/8685756/Taliban-helicopter-attack-kills-31-US-special-forces-troops.html

AmPat
08-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Crap.

SarasotaRepub
08-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Jesus Christ that is bad.

txradioguy
08-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Dupe:

http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=42873

SarasotaRepub
08-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Oops! Sorry I screwed this one up. Tx had the story 1st.

I shouldn't try to merge things before coffee...:o

ABC in Georgia
08-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Post self-deleted for unintended lack of sensitivity in this serious thread.

Sorry guys!

txradioguy
08-06-2011, 12:35 PM
This story was bad...and now it just got worse:

WASHINGTON -- The Associated Press has learned that more than 20 Navy SEALs from the unit that killed Osama bin Laden were among those lost in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan.

The operators from SEAL Team Six were flown by a crew of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. That's according to one current and one former U.S. official. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because families are still being notified of the loss of their loved ones.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08/06/afghan-president-31-americans-killed-in-helicopter-crash/

Just damn...

ABC in Georgia
08-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Oh Mercy!

How awful. They were such brave souls on a dreadfully dangerous mission.

My heart goes out to their families, and will include them in my prayers tonight.

Note - I just deleted my nonsense in post #6 above. Apologies once again.

noworries
08-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Prayers for all of their families and for everyone who puts on the uniform every day to serve our country

Bubba Dawg
08-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Damn. Thoughts and prayers to the families. :(

megimoo
08-06-2011, 03:43 PM
None of the 22 SEAL personnel killed in the crash were part of the team that killed bin Laden in a May raid in Pakistan, but they belonged to the same unit.

txradioguy
08-07-2011, 08:06 AM
None of the 22 SEAL personnel killed in the crash were part of the team that killed bin Laden in a May raid in Pakistan, but they belonged to the same unit.

Allegedly they weren't involved in the raid.

Nothing confirms yet that they weren't.

And with this administration probably nothing ever will.