PDA

View Full Version : My quest to get back in shape.

djones520
08-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Post deployment, I was doing pretty good. Posted my 2nd highest score of my career on my PT test.

After that, the abundance of food I missed took over... I put 10 lbs on, and 3 inches on my waist. That led to me failing my next PT test by nearly 15 points. Thankfully that was just a mid way practice test before the next real one, so no career impacts.

So over the last couple weeks, until my next official test in mid September, I've been tasked with 4 work outs a week.

Each session a week is with a differant trainer. Last week I started out with circuit training. We ran 5 laps on an indoor track, which was just over a quarter mile, then would do two minutes of calisthenics, like push-ups, flutter kicks, and the like. We did 8 full circuits of that, and you were feeling pretty dead by the end.

The next session I did another PT test, were we ran through every segment of the test, just trying to push myself a little further on each one. Afterwards I was sent to do another 30 minute workout on my own, in which I did a 10 minute fast paced walk to cool down after the test, then spent the last 20 minutes doing a softer type of circuit training like I listed above.

Next was some cross training. 35 minutes on a stair climber. We spent the first 20 minutes increasing difficulty, and I went up to 13 out of 20. He then had me back it down to 11 for the last 10 minutes, then the cool down. Afterwards we went and did some push up training, since that's a particular weak point of mine on the test.

My final session of the week was probably the easiest. Started out doing calisthenics. Did some push-ups, flutter kicks, and lunges. We then ran a mile and a half, pushing ourself to run at our fastest pace.

Throughout the week I was noticing my muscles have been strengthening themselves, with my "recovery time" between each session becoming better and better.

Today was my first session of this week. We did interval running. Started out doing a half mile jog to warm up, then I stretched out a bit. From there we ran a good paced quarter mile, which I did in 1:37. We'd take a two minute break, and then run another, which I did in 1:35. After another break, we did our last run, which I did in 1:32. Took a few minutes to recover, and we did a three quarter mile cool down. After we were done running we went into the gym and did some more push up training.

Tomorrow I have another circuit training session like last weeks. He'll probably push us a bit harder then last week.

So far, I've noticed some good returns. My runs have been getting faster, and I've been noticing some strengthening of my muscles, allowing my to do a few more push-ups now then I was able to do before.

I've got about 5 weeks until my next test, so if I keep improving like this, it's very likely I'll be hitting my best score ever.

noworries
08-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Good luck with that I know the military makes you do PT Tests but how often for each branch?

djones520
08-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Right now the Air Force has us taking a test twice a year. It's standards are just as tough as the Army's, and arguably stricter in some categories.

Molon Labe
08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Right now the Air Force has us taking a test twice a year. It's standards are just as tough as the Army's, and arguably stricter in some categories.

Only an Air force guy would say that. :rolleyes:

although the Army's new PRT is going to be a joke.

djones520
08-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Only an Air force guy would say that. :rolleyes:

although the Army's new PRT is going to be a joke.

Compair the tests and tell me how I'm wrong. I've done it. The Army gets two minutes to do push-ups and sit-ups, we get one minute. Someone my age in the Army gets a full minute to do 6 more push ups then I have to do. While the Army has to run two miles to our mile and a half, the same basic time is required.

Now that's just compairing minimum scores. All you gotta do in the Army is meet those minimums. In the Air Force, if I meet the minimums, I still fail my test.

Your scores are broken down in 4 year increments. Ours is in 10 years or more increments. So for us, a 29 year old has to meet the same standards as a 17 year old.

If you fail in the Army you have 3 months to retest. We have half that time.

If we fail 3 tests in a row, it's an automatic removal from the Air Force. The Army just makes you ineligible for things like reenlistment and promotions while your failing. Even if we don't get removed from the Air Force, a failure is something that gets us an automatic referral EPR, which halts reenlistments, promotions, etc. And that EPR screws our chances of promotion for the next 5 years by taking massive amounts of points off of our tests.

The Air Force did a total 180 on physical fitness over the last 5 years. We now have to be able to keep up with the Army, and our punishment for failure is a lot stricter.

noworries
08-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I did not know that so many standards were placed on you Air Force personel. I have always thought it was the sweetest service as far as demands ect.

Molon Labe
08-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Compair the tests and tell me how I'm wrong. I've done it. The Army gets two minutes to do push-ups and sit-ups, we get one minute. Someone my age in the Army gets a full minute to do 6 more push ups then I have to do. While the Army has to run two miles to our mile and a half, the same basic time is required.

Now that's just compairing minimum scores. All you gotta do in the Army is meet those minimums. In the Air Force, if I meet the minimums, I still fail my test.

Your scores are broken down in 4 year increments. Ours is in 10 years or more increments. So for us, a 29 year old has to meet the same standards as a 17 year old.

If you fail in the Army you have 3 months to retest. We have half that time.

If we fail 3 tests in a row, it's an automatic removal from the Air Force. The Army just makes you ineligible for things like reenlistment and promotions while your failing. Even if we don't get removed from the Air Force, a failure is something that gets us an automatic referral EPR, which halts reenlistments, promotions, etc. And that EPR screws our chances of promotion for the next 5 years by taking massive amounts of points off of our tests.

The Air Force did a total 180 on physical fitness over the last 5 years. We now have to be able to keep up with the Army, and our punishment for failure is a lot stricter.

relax.. Just teasin.

The Army realizes that two minutes is too much time now. That's why under the new standards it is going to be a minute now. But once you stop, you're done.

The Air Force requirement to make someone do the same standards in 10 year increments is beggin for reform. No way I can do now what I did when I was 30. It's ridiculous to base it that way.

Anyhow...good luck with staying in shape.

SaintLouieWoman
08-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Will all that working out take off the 10 pounds or have they also given you nutrition counselling? Ten pounds I would think would easily come off with all that running.

malloc
08-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Good luck with that I know the military makes you do PT Tests but how often for each branch?

The Marines is once a year, but I know units do it more often.

The absolute minimum requirements just to pass are, IIRC are:

Pull-ups: 3
Crunches: 50 in 2 minutes
Run: 3 miles in 28:00

Of course, if you make these kinds of scores you'll never get promoted. It's a score based system, so the fast your run, under 28:00 the more points. The more crunches over 50, the more points. The more pullups the more points.

This is all calculated into your cutting score for promotion. If you fail any of the minimums, you fail the whole PFT. My best PFT ever was 14/20 pull ups, 100 crunches in 2 minutes, and a 19:00 3-mile run.

djones520
08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Will all that working out take off the 10 pounds or have they also given you nutrition counselling? Ten pounds I would think would easily come off with all that running.

We'll see. My weight is holding, but i'm not concerned about that. 6'2" and 190lbs. Nothing wrong with that. It's the inches on the waist I need to burn off. That cost me 12 points on my test. Last time I got taped, I was down an inch. I'd like to burn 3 more off so I can get full points in that category. If I can do that, the test will be a shoe in.

Zafod
08-08-2011, 07:09 PM
We'll see. My weight is holding, but i'm not concerned about that. 6'2" and 190lbs. Nothing wrong with that. It's the inches on the waist I need to burn off. That cost me 12 points on my test. Last time I got taped, I was down an inch. I'd like to burn 3 more off so I can get full points in that category. If I can do that, the test will be a shoe in.

need to follow the anibolic diest and the mid section will shrink fast.....

The Night Owl
08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't think there is a magic diet which causes people to lose weight and keep it off. I am convinced that the key is portion control.

Zafod
08-09-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't think there is a magic diet which causes people to lose weight and keep it off. I am convinced that the key is portion control.

nobody gives a shit what you think

djones520
08-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Two and a half mile run today. Did a fast jog half way out, and did intervals on the way back in, running about 300m and walking 100m. Afterwards did a few sets of crunches and flutter kicks to work the abs a bit.

fettpett
08-09-2011, 11:06 PM

different things work for differnet people. portion control helps but isn't the end all of it

Rockntractor
08-09-2011, 11:15 PM
different things work for differnet people. portion control helps but isn't the end all of it

Which one worked to give you your slim trim physique?:confused:

Molon Labe
08-10-2011, 07:48 AM

that's part of it.

It's 3 pronged in my opinion. Diet..which covers portion control...plus what you eat is equally important. You can't go around eating a reasonable portion of popcorn and White Castle sliders everyday.

So Diet. Resistance exercise. And some sort of aerobic exercise.

Two and a half mile run today. Did a fast jog half way out, and did intervals on the way back in, running about 300m and walking 100m. Afterwards did a few sets of crunches and flutter kicks to work the abs a bit.

Interval running is a great way to burn fat and stay lean without destroying muscle. I've been getting into core workouts more and more because I need to strengthen my back

Zafod
08-10-2011, 08:30 AM
What are you doing in resistance training to strengthen your back?
I have a few different exercises you should do if you are not already doing them.....

Molon Labe
08-10-2011, 10:13 AM
What are you doing in resistance training to strengthen your back?
I have a few different exercises you should do if you are not already doing them.....

I use two dumbells occassionally and do the "bow" at the waist, or use light plate and do back extensions..... Somedays that's rough even with lighter weight. I hurt my back in May doing combative training.

I can't really do much heavy lifting for the lower back, so I've tended to do more core exercises like bridging and some Yoga.....which actually improved my situps more than ever before or any weight training I have ever done.

Isn't that crazy? I can't do certain back exercises....but I don't really feel it that badly doing situps?

fettpett
08-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Which one worked to give you your slim trim physique?:confused:

hey, I'm losing my weight :p it takes time, porky

fettpett
08-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Isn't that crazy? I can't do certain back exercises....but I don't really feel it that badly doing situps?

not really, when you do situps properly, it's your abdominal and lats muscles that do the majority of the work, back muscles do very little

Zafod
08-10-2011, 12:51 PM
I use two dumbells occassionally and do the "bow" at the waist, or use light plate and do back extensions..... Somedays that's rough even with lighter weight. I hurt my back in May doing combative training.

I can't really do much heavy lifting for the lower back, so I've tended to do more core exercises like bridging and some Yoga.....which actually improved my situps more than ever before or any weight training I have ever done.

you should try good mornings with a barbell and light plates. Google good mornings and rounded back good mornings. I would also suggest rows but thats just to work the whole back.

Also look info dead lifts. Do em light but proper form works the whole back and really does wonders for the lower back.

Zafod
08-10-2011, 12:58 PM
not really, when you do situps properly, it's your abdominal and lats muscles that do the majority of the work, back muscles do very little

lats dont engage doing situps unless you are pulling with your arms....lol

Molon Labe
08-10-2011, 01:03 PM
you should try good mornings with a barbell and light plates. Google good mornings and rounded back good mornings. I would also suggest rows but thats just to work the whole back.

Also look info dead lifts. Do em light but proper form works the whole back and really does wonders for the lower back.

After I looked up "good mornings" realized that's what I meant by "bows". I'll keep giving them a try.....my form can use some work.

Been doing something like this, to get back in the swing.
http://www.ehow.com/video_5808210_core-exercises-lower-back-pain.html

Molon Labe
08-10-2011, 01:04 PM

maybe he meant hip flexors?

fettpett
08-10-2011, 01:10 PM

um...ok... :D

Zafod
08-10-2011, 02:35 PM
maybe he meant hip flexors?

maybe....

Zafod
08-10-2011, 02:37 PM
After I looked up "good mornings" realized that's what I meant by "bows". I'll keep giving them a try.....my form can use some work.

Been doing something like this, to get back in the swing.
http://www.ehow.com/video_5808210_core-exercises-lower-back-pain.html

its better to do good mornings with a barbell. Dumbells will most of the time will result in a rounded back. A traditional good morning the back should be arched and solid like concrete.

Now rounded back good mornings I would avoid doing heavy.... if you do them keep it light and slow.

Zafod
08-10-2011, 02:41 PM
um...ok... :D

when doing a proper sit up the only muscles being used are abs, obliques and hip flexors.... thats it.

Lats are worked when you do pull ups, rows and chins.....

also when you do complex movements like snatches and cleans ....

Zafod
08-10-2011, 02:45 PM
also you should do dead lifts. Keep the weight heavy for you but there is no other complex movement that I know that targets the errectors and the back as a whole like a good dead lift.

djones520
08-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Another work out session tonight. Did a round of calisthenics. Planks, crunches, push-ups, flutter kicks, and jumping jacks. Then went out to run.

Did a mile and a half, since that's our PT test requirement. Wanted to see how well I pushed myself. I started about 30 seconds after the first runner. Finished 1 minute before the next guy in. Was feeling so good after that I ran out a quarter mile to the next runner, and sprinted in with her.

Only been a couple of weeks, but it's already like a whole new me.

I have been noticing some real issues with my shin splints though. They've progressively been growing more painful. I'm hoping they don't get to the point I've gotta get to the doctor...

txradioguy
08-12-2011, 04:55 AM
I have been noticing some real issues with my shin splints though. They've progressively been growing more painful. I'm hoping they don't get to the point I've gotta get to the doctor...

Shoe selection and stretching can help.

I have the same problems with my shins and getting the cushioned shoes helps a LOT. Asics Gel are my preferred weapon of choice.

And if your current running shoes are over 6 months old...ditch them.

djones520
08-12-2011, 12:16 PM

I have the same problems with my shins and getting the cushioned shoes helps a LOT. Asics Gel are my preferred weapon of choice.

I have collapsed arches. My current shoes are getting old, but because of the inserts I have to wear, getting new ones are a tricky process. I've been looking for a pair just like my current ones, so we'll see. Otherwise I'll have to go through a 6 week process to get some new inserts.

Novaheart
08-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Rule #1 - Eat nothing which comes through the window of your car.

Rule #2 - Do not eat in your car.

Rule #3 - Do not eat anything handed to you by a woman.

Novaheart
08-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Another work out session tonight. Did a round of calisthenics. Planks, crunches, push-ups, flutter kicks, and jumping jacks. Then went out to run.

Did a mile and a half, since that's our PT test requirement. Wanted to see how well I pushed myself. I started about 30 seconds after the first runner. Finished 1 minute before the next guy in. Was feeling so good after that I ran out a quarter mile to the next runner, and sprinted in with her.

Only been a couple of weeks, but it's already like a whole new me.

I'm really surprised at all the running. I realize that one doesn't normally go chasing the enemy through the jungle on a bicycle, but in terms of exercise benefit versus harm done to the body, a bicycle ride is vastly preferable to walking or running.

Zafod
08-12-2011, 12:45 PM
if you did strength training on your legs you wouldnt get shin splints.

I used to get them all the time. I now squat heavy and do standing calf raises with 500 lbs on my back.

Have not had a shin splint in over a year.....

fettpett
08-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I have collapsed arches. My current shoes are getting old, but because of the inserts I have to wear, getting new ones are a tricky process. I've been looking for a pair just like my current ones, so we'll see. Otherwise I'll have to go through a 6 week process to get some new inserts.

find someone to do some Isometric and Isotonic stretching with your feet, it helps a lot with shin splints

djones520
08-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Well, this just took a major step back. Despite getting new shoes, shin splints have continually worsened. It got to the point tonight where I know I've truly hurt myself now.

I'll be making an appointment with the Doctor in the morning...

Rockntractor
08-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Asynchayer syndrome.

Speedy
08-17-2011, 03:14 AM
Well, this just took a major step back. Despite getting new shoes, shin splints have continually worsened. It got to the point tonight where I know I've truly hurt myself now.

I was going to recommend a program I did in prison that burned off an amazing amount of fat in three weeks. But it involved a lot of sprints which are probably now a no go.

djones520
08-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Well... no running, period, for two months. Extended walking is a no-no as well.

I am allowed to do cross training, things like the stair climber, elliptical, and bike, as long as I'm not feeling any pain.

So yeah, HUGE road block there.

SaintLouieWoman
08-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Well... no running, period, for two months. Extended walking is a no-no as well.

I am allowed to do cross training, things like the stair climber, elliptical, and bike, as long as I'm not feeling any pain.

So yeah, HUGE road block there.
Can you do the strength training? Maybe combine that with a visit to the nutritionist and you'll be OK. Is there any way that you can put off that physical?

djones520
08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
No the test will still take place. I just won't be tested on components I cannot do.

So I will still have to do push-ups, sit-ups, and a waist measurement.

So the goal for the next few weeks is to concentrate on building those muscles up, and occasionally doing some good hard cross-training to help keep my endurance up.

djones520
08-19-2011, 01:06 PM
35 minutes on the Elliptical machine. Increased the resistance all the way up to 27 minutes, and from 12 minutes through 25 we would do 2 minutes at pace, and then 1 at 3mph faster. Ended up burning about 450 calories on that and did 4.2 miles.

Following that we did sets up push ups where I eventually did 65 all together. Push ups are still my weak spot, and I gotta start working harder on them.

Good news was I was feeling no pain at all while doing that. So while the Elliptical won't help me improve much, i'll be able to maintain my cardio level until I can start running again.

Molon Labe
08-19-2011, 02:47 PM
35 minutes on the Elliptical machine. Increased the resistance all the way up to 27 minutes, and from 12 minutes through 25 we would do 2 minutes at pace, and then 1 at 3mph faster. Ended up burning about 450 calories on that and did 4.2 miles.

Following that we did sets up push ups where I eventually did 65 all together. Push ups are still my weak spot, and I gotta start working harder on them.

Good news was I was feeling no pain at all while doing that. So while the Elliptical won't help me improve much, i'll be able to maintain my cardio level until I can start running again.

You sound like you're doing great.

For pushup improvment I always did timed pyramids. Do as many pushups for one minute as hard as you can . rest 2 minutes..... Do 30 seconds. then 15...etc.

Don't cheat yourself on form. Make sure they are form perfect....that way you get the full workout and don't get burned by the grader on the test.
Good luck.

djones520
08-22-2011, 01:04 PM
45 minute stair climber work out today. 192 floors, or 7.5 miles. Burned nearly 600 calories on that.

First time in a long time I had to break through the "wall". I thought I was going to keel over and die at the 25 minute mark. Somehow kept on pushing though.

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 04:18 PM

A good morning is when she wakes me up early so we have time before work. :p

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 04:24 PM

Shoes do make a huge difference. I have very flat feet and have to be careful when I buy shoes or the plantar fasciitis flares up...even with good shoes this happens every few years. I've tried orthotics from a Podiatrist which ended up causing other issues with my feet.

For the past couple weeks I have been dealing with one of these flare up periods. The first few steps in the middle of the night, or after working and getting out of the car...hurt like heck...

I've lost a lot of weight in the past year, and have kept it off and lost some more....but it's hard to exercise after work or on your days off when it hurts to walk...hopefully this will quickly pass.

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Sorry to hear this. I know what the pain is like. It simply sucks. :mad:

djones520
08-23-2011, 05:33 PM
A bit of a differant work out, but a good one today. I arrived about 15 minutes before the group, so did some push ups and sit ups before hand. Did 20 of each, then 15 then 10. When the group arrived we started with a 5 minute warm up, where of the group ran, and I hit the elliptical. Afterwards we did 18 sets of strength building exercises. Various push-ups, sit ups, flutter kicks, dive bombers, leg raises, etc... 30 seconds of the exercise, 30 seconds of rest. It went fast, but it was definitely tiring. Afterwards it was another 10 minute run(elliptical) to cool down.

I imagine i'll have some sore muscles tomorrow, but all these push ups I've been doing, I have been noticing muscles building up. It's kinda satisfying.

SaintLouieWoman
08-24-2011, 09:06 PM
A bit of a differant work out, but a good one today. I arrived about 15 minutes before the group, so did some push ups and sit ups before hand. Did 20 of each, then 15 then 10. When the group arrived we started with a 5 minute warm up, where of the group ran, and I hit the elliptical. Afterwards we did 18 sets of strength building exercises. Various push-ups, sit ups, flutter kicks, dive bombers, leg raises, etc... 30 seconds of the exercise, 30 seconds of rest. It went fast, but it was definitely tiring. Afterwards it was another 10 minute run(elliptical) to cool down.

I imagine i'll have some sore muscles tomorrow, but all these push ups I've been doing, I have been noticing muscles building up. It's kinda satisfying.
So how are you feeling today? Lots of sore muscles?

I know how frustsrating it is to be unable to walk very far. I've had the plantar fascitis off and on and don't even bother with the orthotic anymore. The weird thing is that I haven't had the flareups since I've been home more now and wear slide-in, open toe slippers with a good, firm sole like a shoe. Maybe it makes my feet work harder, but haven't had the problems since I started wearing these things. They're Acorn brand (not affiliated with Obama's ACORN).

How are the new running shoes doing with those special insoles? I bought a wear and need to test drive them around the house. If they don't work, will take them back.

djones520
08-24-2011, 09:18 PM
My arms were a little tight this morning, but all in all I was feeling ok. Not sure if that means I need to be pushing myself harder or not.

The new shoes are alright, but I still begin to feel a healthy bit of pain if I spend a lot of time on my feet. We were at the mall yesterday while my wife was shopping for a dress for my sisters wedding. We were there for maybe an hour and a half and the legs were killing me.

SaintLouieWoman
08-24-2011, 09:33 PM
My arms were a little tight this morning, but all in all I was feeling ok. Not sure if that means I need to be pushing myself harder or not.

The new shoes are alright, but I still begin to feel a healthy bit of pain if I spend a lot of time on my feet. We were at the mall yesterday while my wife was shopping for a dress for my sisters wedding. We were there for maybe an hour and a half and the legs were killing me.

That's a big mall. I literally feel your pain. I've been saving lots of money, because it's been bothering me too much to go to the malls. That's a good thing because SR whines, A LOT, if he goes into a mall. If I need something I go in and out very quickly (well as fast as my poor knee can go). :D

Rockntractor
08-24-2011, 09:39 PM

Nothing will work for you, get a bag of chips, some sour cream and bacon dip and go watch TV!

djones520
08-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Nothing will work for you, get a bag of chips, some sour cream and bacon dip and go watch TV!

I still got 10 years to go to get to my pension, so that's not gonna work.

Rockntractor
08-24-2011, 09:43 PM
I still got 10 years to go to get to my pension, so that's not gonna work.

Can you bribe the doctor?:confused:

djones520
08-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Can you bribe the doctor?:confused:

I could develop a taste for some pork rinds.

But seriously, if I spend 1 year on a medical profile, I get medical boarded. And that's not a fun time.

djones520
08-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Tough workout today. 30 minutes on a cross training machine. It was like a cross between an elliptical and stair climber. It worked my legs pretty hard.

The real part of the workout was after that though. Since push ups are my real weak point for my test, we did an extremely exhaustive regimen of exercises to work the chest and arms. About 20 minutes of that. Typing this out is not the easiest thing to do right now.