PDA

View Full Version : Household tips and advice needed

SaintLouieWoman
08-09-2011, 10:55 AM
When we were in St Louis we visited "the Foundry Art Center" in St Charles, Mo. An artist there had reasonably priced decorative kitchen stuff. I bought a cool bottle decorated with glass and metal squiggles to be used for olive oil. We put it next to the range on the granite.

Last night I noticed that the darned oil had leaked and had made a greyish ring on the granite countertop. I've been using all kinds of granite cleaner and the spot wouldn't budge. Then I remembered Dawn, which supposedly is used for removing oil and grease from birds in an oil spill.

I've rubbed in the Dawn into the granite counter. It looks like it's slowly looking a bit better.

Does anyone else have some ideas of what else to do? We realize now that it needs to be resealed, but don't want any sealer until we remove that spot.

Hawkgirl
08-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Hmmm...never had that type of problem. The only issue I had with my granite was dulling from the dish rack. I don't use it much anymore and it has it's original shine back. I just use clorox wipes and sometimes Lysol spray to keep it clean. Granite has to breathe, otherwise it will lose it's luster.
Only think I can think of are Clorox wipes and don't put anything on top of it.

Milly
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
You might try rubbing it with a little butter dipped in ashes (cigarette ashes work fine). I know it sounds strange, but I've removed all kinds of stains with this mixture. Sure wish I knew why it works, though.

malloc
08-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Granite is a tough one with oil because of it's porous surface. Are you familiar with silica beads? They usually come in little packets which say "do not eat" on them. Well, you can get big jars of the stuff which is made to be put into a safe or other storage locker type item to remove moisture from the air. (I use them in my gun safe to prevent rust). Anyway, you can try getting a big jar of silica beads and pouring some over the ring, packing them down, and letting them sit for a while.

This is a theory, I've never actually had this problem, but it seems like it might work like kitty litter on concrete.

Then, if there's still residual oil, you can soak with dawn and water, dry really well, then try the silica again to soak up any oil that's stuck in the dawn.

Hawkgirl
08-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Granite is a tough one with oil because of it's porous surface. Are you familiar with silica beads? They usually come in little packets which say "do not eat" on them. Well, you can get big jars of the stuff which is made to be put into a safe or other storage locker type item to remove moisture from the air. (I use them in my gun safe to prevent rust). Anyway, you can try getting a big jar of silica beads and pouring some over the ring, packing them down, and letting them sit for a while.

This is a theory, I've never actually had this problem, but it seems like it might work like kitty litter on concrete.

Then, if there's still residual oil, you can soak with dawn and water, dry really well, then try the silica again to soak up any oil that's stuck in the dawn.

What does kitty litter do for concrete?