PDA

View Full Version : Researchers Extract One of Nature’s Strongest Materials From…Girl Scout Cookies?

fettpett
08-09-2011, 10:36 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/researchers-extract-one-of-natures-strongest-materials-from-girl-scout-cookies/

Researchers Extract One of Nature’s Strongest Materials From…Girl Scout Cookies?

Posted on August 8, 2011 at 1:17pm by Liz Klimas Liz Klimas
Graphene, the strongest material known to man, is readily abundant. And as Rice University researchers show, it can be extracted from almost any carbon source. In fact, a box of Girl Scout cookies produced about $15 billion worth of graphene.As reported by Popular Science (H/T Gizomodo), chemist James Tour claimed at a meeting he and his Rice University grad students could make graphene—a one atom thick layer of carbon atoms becoming known for its strength and conductivity—out of any carbon source. With this challenge, the Rice students grew high-quality graphine from grass, chocolate, a cockroach leg, dog excrement, and a box of Girl Scout shortbread cookies:

Two of the grad students in Tour’s lab did some math given the current commercial price for quality graphene—about $250 per two-inch square—and figured that a box of shortbread cookies could generate a roughly $15 billion profit if converted to graphene.

Of course, that has everything to do with scale, supply, and demand. Right now, graphene is difficult and expensive to produce in large quantities. A box of shortbread could yield a sheet of graphene that would cover three football fields if the means of production were there. And of course if supply were that inexpensive the price would drop substantially.

This two-dimensional structure with 200 times the strength of steel was discovered in 2004 and was the subject of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2010. While extracting graphene from carbon sources is currently a lengthy and expensive process, you can see graphine yourself whenever you use a graphite pencil: the thin layer that’s deposited on a sheet of paper from the pencil is graphene.

:eek::eek::eek: damn....

djones520
08-09-2011, 10:42 PM
That's pretty interesting.

I'm seeing applications for space ship armor. Let Manifest Destiny take hold! To the stars my brothers!!!! :D

fettpett
08-09-2011, 10:43 PM
That's pretty interesting.

I'm seeing applications for space ship armor. Let Manifest Destiny take hold! To the stars my brothers!!!! :D

:an::an: amen to that. Just think, we'd probably never have another Challenger or Columbia disaster again

djones520
08-09-2011, 10:44 PM
:an::an: amen to that. Just think, we'd probably never have another Challenger or Columbia disaster again

I was thinking more of conquering other planets... but sure we could go the peaceful route for now.

fettpett
08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
I was thinking more of conquering other planets... but sure we could go the peaceful route for now.

who said we couldn't do both.... :tank::vader::vader::fet::fet::popcorn::popcorn: :mg::mg: