PDA

View Full Version : NATO Airstrike Kills Taliban Insurgents Behind Afghan Chopper Crash

txradioguy
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM
The Taliban insurgents responsible for shooting down a U.S. helicopter in Afghanistan -- killing 30 Americans -- have been killed in an airstrike, U.S. Gen. John Allen said Wednesday.

"The strike killed Taliban leader Mullah Mohibullah and the insurgent who fired the shot associated with the Aug. 6 downing of the CH-47 helicopter, which resulted in the deaths of 38 Afghan and coalition service members," NATO-ISAF said in a statement.

"Mullah Mohibullah was a key facilitator in an insurgent attack cell led by Din Mohammad, a Taliban leader killed in a previous Special Operations mission," the statement read. "As a leader in Mohammad's network in Tangi valley, Mohibullah had as many as 12 Taliban fighters under his command, including potential suicide bombers."

"After an exhaustive manhunt, Special Operations forces located Mullah Mohibullah and the shooter after receiving multiple intelligence leads and tips from local citizens. The two men were attempting to flee the country in order to avoid capture."

NATO then called for an airstrike after ensuring no civilians were in the area, which resulted in the deaths of Mohibullah, the shooter, and several Taliban associates, according to the statement.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08/10/taliban-insurgents-behind-afghan-chopper-crash-killed-in-airstrike/

Apache
08-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Hope the facts are good....

lacarnut
08-10-2011, 11:00 AM
It is time to get out of those 2 shit hole countries. We are fighting a war we can not win. Eradicate their poppy cash crop and bring our boys home.

ABC in Georgia
08-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Am thrilled with this news.

And yes, I think the facts are correct. Fox News is seldom wrong.

Going with that, will post this ...

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k592/ABC160/karma.jpg

~ ABC

Odysseus
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
It is time to get out of those 2 shit hole countries. We are fighting a war we can not win. Eradicate their poppy cash crop and bring our boys home.

At which point, they will replant the poppies and have a crop next year. Two years after that, they will have reconstituted the Taliban and Afghanistan will once again host terrorists who will target Americans.

We can win the war, we just can't win it the way that we are fighting it.

Bailey
08-10-2011, 03:13 PM
At which point, they will replant the poppies and have a crop next year. Two years after that, they will have reconstituted the Taliban and Afghanistan will once again host terrorists who will target Americans.

Only way we can win it is to slaughter everyone there but I dont see any American President doing that. You'd think we'd learn from the British and the Russians that Afghanistan is a no win scenario.

lacarnut
08-10-2011, 03:24 PM

If a herbicide mixture of agent orange and DDT does not do the trick, a couple of nukes would.

I do not see how we can win the war when the Taliban and terrorists mingle with the general population. They do not wear uniforms and they go back and forth into Afghanistan. The guy you say hello today may set a roadside bomb tomorrow. Also, I am not convinced that the terrorists did not have inside information with the downing of the helicopter that killed 31 Seals.

Starbuck
08-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Only way we can win it is to slaughter everyone there but I dont see any American President doing that. You'd think we'd learn from the British and the Russians that Afghanistan is a no win scenario.
Meh, I dunno.

The Brits lost. The Russians lost.
Doesn't mean we have to. And besides, our motive is far different from theirs.

Odysseus
08-10-2011, 04:49 PM

If a herbicide mixture of agent orange and DDT does not do the trick, a couple of nukes would.

I do not see how we can win the war when the Taliban and terrorists mingle with the general population. They do not wear uniforms and they go back and forth into Afghanistan. The guy you say hello today may set a roadside bomb tomorrow. Also, I am not convinced that the terrorists did not have inside information with the downing of the helicopter that killed 31 Seals.

Meh, I dunno.

The Brits lost. The Russians lost.
Doesn't mean we have to. And besides, our motive is far different from theirs.

The Brits lost the First Afghan War, won the Second Afghan War, and fought to a draw in the Third Afghan War, but it must be remembered that they and the Soviets had much different goals than we do. Britain was primarily concerned with keeping the Russians from threatening India through Afghanistan, and attempted to occupy the country, which led to the first war. They were eventually driven out, but continued to conduct punitive raids and the like in order to prevent the Afghans from attacking India. Russian never made much headway there during the Great Game. The Second Afghan War was basically a very large punitive raid that resulted in Afghanistan agreeing to subordinate its foreign policy to Britain in return for internal autonomy. The Russians were driven out. The Third Afghan War was the result of an invasion of India by the Afghans in 1919, based on the assumption that the depleted British forces in India would not be able to repulse the invasion. The Afghans were wrong, and eventually, the British and Indian forces drove them back, but with heavy losses, which is why I call it a draw. The Soviets wanted to incorporate Afghanistan into the USSR, and were driven out.

The lesson of Afghanistan are that nothing good comes from staying there, but many bad things can fester if left alone. Our policy should be that we will punish any aggressive actions that come out of Afghanistan, and do so in such a way that future generations of Afghans learn not to mess with us.

djones520
08-10-2011, 04:56 PM
The lesson of Afghanistan are that nothing good comes from staying there, but many bad things can fester if left alone. Our policy should be that we will punish any aggressive actions that come out of Afghanistan, and do so in such a way that future generations of Afghans learn not to mess with us.

I'm not a huge fan of that concept, but I prefer it to the total war scenario that I see a lot of people push.

The Soviets took total war into Afghanistan. All it did was mold an entire generation of people ready to live in caves and fight guerilla wars, which we are now having to deal with.

Nation building, that's the only way we're ever going to fix that place. Compassion in one hand, with a big ass stick in the other. If history has ever taught us anything though, it's not done over night. It can take decades to do.

lacarnut
08-10-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm not a huge fan of that concept, but I prefer it to the total war scenario that I see a lot of people push.

The Soviets took total war into Afghanistan. All it did was mold an entire generation of people ready to live in caves and fight guerilla wars, which we are now having to deal with.

Nation building, that's the only way we're ever going to fix that place. Compassion in one hand, with a big ass stick in the other. If history has ever taught us anything though, it's not done over night. It can take decades to do.

You overlook many facts:
1. We will never win that war. Americans are tired of war. 10 years is long enough. We can not afford to nation build that shit-hole country. We are broke. We need to nation build in this country. We should have nuked or bombed Iran into oblivious years ago because they are responsible for many soldier's being killed.
2. The Afghan/Iraq country is made up of tribes. These people hate each-other. Many Muslims are savages. We can not police the infighting.
3. Their government is corrupt. We are being bilked out of millions/billions of dollars that go into politicians coffers.
4. Their leaders want our money but not our presence there.
5. Betcha you do not know how the oil royalties were bid on. Let me clue you in. In Iraq, large American oil companies did not bid because of the greed of the Iraq leaders. The winning bidders will barely break even at 1 or 2 dollars a barrel that is brought up out of the ground. If they drill a dry hole, that is what you call tough titty cause the government will only pay the measly amount for what comes out of the ground. We spill our blood and spend a great deal of money and the leaders kick us in the ass. Like Donald Trump said we have a bunch of idiots running our government. Consequently, you can take that nation building crap and stick it where the sun don't shine. Once again, we are f......g broke.

Odysseus
08-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Actually, the Soviets pretty much won their war, until we began supplying stingers and other modern weapons to the Mujahedeen. Had we not done so, the Soviets would have had effective control of the cities and the routes between them, and marginal control of the tribal areas, which weren't really of much interest to them, as they couldn't sustain an effective resistance without the support of an outside agency. This, BTW, is one of the critical facts of counterinsurgency warfare, that most insurgencies cannot win without a major benefactor that provides them with arms, security and financial support. The Taliban has Iran providing them with arms, training and financial support, and Pakistan providing them with secure havens. Eliminating Iranian and Pakistani support for the Taliban would render them combat ineffective very quickly.

You overlook many facts:
1. We will never win that war. Americans are tired of war. 10 years is long enough. We can not afford to nation build that shit-hole country. We are broke. We need to nation build in this country. We should have nuked or bombed Iran into oblivious years ago because they are responsible for many soldier's being killed.
In other words, kick their asses so hard that they don't think about coming after you again.

2. The Afghan/Iraq country is made up of tribes. These people hate each-other. Many Muslims are savages. We can not police the infighting.
We don't have to police it. Infighting between factions that don't like us is to our benefit. We should be encouraging it. It's a nasty way to fight a war, but ultimately, when they are busy killing each other, they won't be bothering us. Think Iran/Iraq war, where the goal was to ensure that both sides lost.

3. Their government is corrupt. We are being bilked out of millions/billions of dollars that go into politicians coffers.
Agreed. We are trying to buy love, but as Machiavelli wrote, it is better to be feared than loved.

4. Their leaders want our money but not our presence there.
Actually, their leaders need our presence there, as we are the only thing standing between them and their subjects. When we leave, the governments will be destabilized by outside elements that want to control the region for their own reasons. Iran wants another Islamist state. Pakistan wants strategic depth against India. Nobody wants to see the Afghans become powerful enough to threaten them. It's the same with Iraq.