PDA

View Full Version : Desperate to drink, West Texas turns to wastewater

djones520
08-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Big Spring, Texas (CNN) -- Desperate times call for a tall, cool glass of creativity in this patch of West Texas where water is scarce and quickly disappearing.

But a plan to pump millions of new gallons of drinking water into the system has many people across West Texas holding their noses.

This week construction started on a $13 million water-reclamation facility. That's a fancy way of describing a treatment plant that will turn sewage wastewater into drinking water.

"That's not something I even want to think about," said Eunice Thixton, a Big Spring resident. "It really doesn't sound too good."

There are three major reservoirs that provide drinking water for half a million people who live around Midland, Texas. But the drought is draining those lakes and threatens to create major water shortages in the months ahead.

This is an age-old problem in the dust-hardened landscape of West Texas.

For decades oil has flowed strongly out of the ground here but the hunt for water is a more difficult game.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/10/texas.desperate.to.drink/

In my last course, a portion of it was on reintroducing treated sewage into the water supply.

At first thought, it seems pretty nasty, but the process is pretty sound. The water is clean when it gets back to you.

malloc
08-10-2011, 05:54 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/10/texas.desperate.to.drink/

In my last course, a portion of it was on reintroducing treated sewage into the water supply.

At first thought, it seems pretty nasty, but the process is pretty sound. The water is clean when it gets back to you.

I saw a program specifically about this on Discovery Science or Nat Geo or something (the only channels I really watch).

Yeah, the water comes out drinkable and safe. Kind of mind blowing considering what it looked like when it went in.

djones520
08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
I saw a program specifically about this on Discovery Science or Nat Geo or something (the only channels I really watch).

Yeah, the water comes out drinkable and safe. Kind of mind blowing considering what it looked like when it went in.

Especially considering how they do it... you'd think it was some high tech system, when it's done easily enough by letting nature run it's course.

fettpett
08-10-2011, 06:35 PM
I've seen those systems too, they are really cool, use swamp plants and bacteria to clean the water.

course I bet those in TX would have killed to have that water they dumped out in WA for the dude pissing in it