PDA

View Full Version : Eat your greens---amazing greens

SaintLouieWoman
08-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Some of the things they recommend I'm not that big on---like prickly pear and kale. But read this for some greyt ideas for health the easy way.

Avacadoes are yummy and surprise, surprise, are good for you. :D

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition-pictures/12-amazingly-good-for-you-green-foods.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthWomensHealth_20110 813#/slide-1

Everyone knows veggies are a must in any healthy diet — the phrase “eat your greens” has been drilled into us since childhood. But fewer than 10 percent of Americans eat the recommended amount of fruits and veggies, a 2009 study found, and fewer still choose the dark green vegetables that boast a myriad of disease-fighting health perks.
Even if you’re not a fan of dark green produce (we recommend you give it a second chance), you can still reap tons of health benefits from a variety of green veggies (http://www.everydayhealth.com/senior-health/health-benefits-of-fruits-and-vegetables.aspx), fruits, and other foods you should be eating — but probably aren’t. Read on and see why the rest of your pantry will go green with envy

fettpett
08-13-2011, 10:20 AM
have you tried fresh baby kale? my wife has been working at a CSA all summer getting a full share of the produce and we got a lot of Kale, little bitter but pretty good for a salad

SaintLouieWoman
08-13-2011, 10:35 AM
have you tried fresh baby kale? my wife has been working at a CSA all summer getting a full share of the produce and we got a lot of Kale, little bitter but pretty good for a salad
Have never tried it, but heard it's super nutritious. How does she make it?

noonwitch
08-15-2011, 09:50 AM

You can cook it like collard or mustard greens, but that involves adding pork and simmering it down for a couple of hours. It's good, but it's not exactly as healthy as in a salad.

linda22003
08-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Swiss chard is so good for you - and absolutely yummy. Not to mention, extremely beautiful.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/sites/default/files/images/swisschard.jpg

fettpett
08-15-2011, 02:31 PM

for salads, just use it like lettuce. Otherwise she'll cook them just like collard's

Novaheart
08-17-2011, 10:01 PM

When I was a kid, it seemed like kale was served at every meal. My dad and grandad would put a huge pile of kale on their plate and drench it in vinegar and dose it with black pepper. The women ate a portion. I hated the stuff.

I think I'll give it another try though. Look at the stats:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2462/2

Fats & Fatty Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
Total Fat0.5g1%
Saturated Fat0.1g0%
Monounsaturated Fat0.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat0.3g
Total trans fatty acids~
Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids~
Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids~
Total Omega-3 fatty acids134mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids103mg

Vitamins
Vitamin A17709IU354%
Vitamin C53.3mg89%
Vitamin D~ ~
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)1.1mg6%
Vitamin K1062mcg1328%
Thiamin0.1mg5%
Riboflavin0.1mg5%
Niacin0.6mg3%
Vitamin B60.2mg9%
Folate16.9mcg4%
Vitamin B120.0mcg0%
Pantothenic Acid0.1mg1%
Choline0.5mg
Betaine0.4mg
Minerals
Calcium93.6mg9%
Iron1.2mg6%
Magnesium23.4mg6%
Phosphorus36.4mg4%
Potassium296mg8%
Sodium29.9mg1%
Zinc0.3mg2%
Copper0.2mg10%
Manganese0.5mg27%
Selenium1.2mcg2%

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2462/2#ixzz1VLFxrald

Elspeth
08-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Anyone do juicing with veggies?

SaintLouieWoman
08-17-2011, 11:58 PM
No, but I drink my daily can of V-8 low sodium for 2 extra servings of veggies a day. Do you do it?

SaintLouieWoman
08-18-2011, 12:00 AM
When I was a kid, it seemed like kale was served at every meal. My dad and grandad would put a huge pile of kale on their plate and drench it in vinegar and dose it with black pepper. The women ate a portion. I hated the stuff.

I think I'll give it another try though. Look at the stats:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2462/2

Fats & Fatty Acids
Total Fat0.5g1%
Saturated Fat0.1g0%
Monounsaturated Fat0.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat0.3g
Total trans fatty acids~
Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids~
Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids~
Total Omega-3 fatty acids134mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids103mg

Vitamins
Vitamin A17709IU354%
Vitamin C53.3mg89%
Vitamin D~ ~
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)1.1mg6%
Vitamin K1062mcg1328%
Thiamin0.1mg5%
Riboflavin0.1mg5%
Niacin0.6mg3%
Vitamin B60.2mg9%
Folate16.9mcg4%
Vitamin B120.0mcg0%
Pantothenic Acid0.1mg1%
Choline0.5mg
Betaine0.4mg
Minerals
Calcium93.6mg9%
Iron1.2mg6%
Magnesium23.4mg6%
Phosphorus36.4mg4%
Potassium296mg8%
Sodium29.9mg1%
Zinc0.3mg2%
Copper0.2mg10%
Manganese0.5mg27%
Selenium1.2mcg2%

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2462/2#ixzz1VLFxrald

All the nutritionists say it's one of the super foods. I just would like to figure out a way that it wouldn't taste too bad. SR and I will eat healthy foods if they aren't too putrid tasting. I'll amend that. I'll eat the foods, SR won't unless it's really tasty. :D

When my kids were little, I'd cut veggies into such tiny pieces that they didn't even notice when I threw the veggies into the pasta. It's all about disguising the healthy stuff.

Starbuck
08-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Swiss chard is so good for you - and absolutely yummy. Not to mention, extremely beautiful.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/sites/default/files/images/swisschard.jpg

Dang, that picture looks like something out of the Willie Wonka movie, or something. Plastic food.

SaintLouieWoman
08-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Dang, that picture looks like something out of the Willie Wonka movie, or something. Plastic food.

My mom used to raise it in her little garden. I don't remember it looking like that. It looked like really dark spinach. We used to eat it all the time as kids. I don't remember particularly liking it, but maybe it was my mom's cooking. :D

Novaheart
08-18-2011, 12:45 AM

I don't know why, but I suspect that kale juice would taste like pond scum and look very similar to it in the process.

Novaheart
08-18-2011, 12:46 AM
My mom used to raise it in her little garden. I don't remember it looking like that. It looked like really dark spinach. We used to eat it all the time as kids. I don't remember particularly liking it, but maybe it was my mom's cooking. :D

I think kale lasts forever in the fridge too. I don't recall it ever getting slimy or needing to be thrown away.

Elspeth
08-18-2011, 01:39 AM
I don't know why, but I suspect that kale juice would taste like pond scum and look very similar to it in the process.

That sounds yummy....

:eek:

Elspeth
08-18-2011, 01:45 AM
No, but I drink my daily can of V-8 low sodium for 2 extra servings of veggies a day. Do you do it?

Sadly, no. I am terribly remiss, although I eat salads.

I was asking because a friend of mine was interested in this program:

www.gerson.org

fettpett
08-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Your mom grew typical collards, what she posted was rainbow collards.

linda22003
08-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Swiss chard is hardly "plastic food", and yes, it does come in quite a color variety. (I like the kind with red veins in green leaves). It's related to beet greens, and just as nutritious. They are NOT collards, which are related to cabbage and broccoli. Totally different plant.

SLW, your mother probably cooked greens too long; most of our mothers did that with most vegetables. I dice the Swiss chard and saute it lightly with garlic, in olive oil; it's wonderful as a bedding for roasted fish, and looks lovely on the plate.

SaintLouieWoman
08-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Swiss chard is hardly "plastic food", and yes, it does come in quite a color variety. (I like the kind with red veins in green leaves). It's related to beet greens, and just as nutritious. They are NOT collards, which are related to cabbage and broccoli. Totally different plant.

SLW, your mother probably cooked greens too long; most of our mothers did that with most vegetables. I dice the Swiss chard and saute it lightly with garlic, in olive oil; it's wonderful as a bedding for roasted fish, and looks lovely on the plate.

You're probably right. She did grow that Swiss chard, not spinach, but she cooked everything too long. Her meat tasted like hockey pucks. A little garlic and olive oil will make almost anything taste good---well, maybe not kale. :D

fettpett
08-20-2011, 04:40 PM

yeah, I meant swiss chard