PDA

View Full Version : Pawlenty done

fettpett
08-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Tim Pawlenty ends presidential campaign
By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY
Updated 6m ago

Updated at 9:29 a.m. ET

Pawlenty informed his supporters in a conference call and then announced his decision on ABC's This Week. He finished a distant third in yesterday's Iowa presidential straw poll, well behind the winner, Rep. Michele Bachmann, his Minnesota rival.

"We needed to get some lift to continue on and have a pathway forward," Pawlenty told ABC. "That didn't happen, so I'm announcing this morning on your show that I'm going to be ending my campaign for president."

The surprise decision by Pawlenty, who made John McCain's short list of vice presidential picks in 2008, was first reported by Politico.

Pawlenty struggled this year to gain traction despite being widely touted as a possible alternative to Mitt Romney, the current front-runner for the GOP nomination.

Despite spending months campaigning and organizing in Iowa, Pawlenty had trouble catching fire and was polling in the single digits both in the Hawkeye State and nationally.

He had emphasized his record as a two-term governor in a Democratic state, as a contrast to Bachmann and her three terms in Congress.

While the Iowa straw poll is not a reliable indicator of who will win the state's presidential caucuses or the GOP nomination, it is a test of organization. Pawlenty last night had congratulated Bachmann, but conceded he had a lot of work to do to win the nomination.

Bachmann's momentum, however, is tempered somewhat by Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who formally joined the race on Saturday with a speech in South Carolina. Perry and Bachmann both appeal to social conservatives and the Tea Party movement, and are politically to the right of Romney.

couldn't see this coming:rolleyes::rolleyes:

SarasotaRepub
08-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Ames, Iowa (CNN) -- Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty abandoned his bid for the GOP presidential nomination on Sunday after a disappointing finish in the Ames Straw Poll in Iowa.

"We needed a boost from Ames that didn't happen," Pawlenty told staff on a conference call Sunday morning, CNN learned.

Speaking to ABC's "This Week," Pawlenty said his campaign needed a lift in the straw poll.

"The pathway forward for me doesn't really exist and so we're going to end the campaign," he said.

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/08/14/pawlenty/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

Hawkgirl
08-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Wow...I didn't see this coming...

Molon Labe
08-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Wow...I didn't see this coming...

It's all clear now. He's out because he was the Republican party poster boy...but he was weak. And now they have Perry. He completely understands this. And the new chosen candidate Perry siphons his votes. Same with Huntsman..he'll go too real soon. And after Romney can't keep up...bye bye

Molon Labe
08-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Bachmann's momentum, however, is tempered somewhat by Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who formally joined the race on Saturday with a speech in South Carolina. Perry and Bachmann both appeal to social conservatives and the Tea Party movement, and are politically to the right of Romney

This is laughable. Perry does not take votes away from Bachman. Its the rest of the field. I do not know where people get this guy as defacto tea party guy.

The Texas tea party hates him. (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20110719no_tea_party_for_perry_as_he_weighs_nomina tion_bid/)

Perry was an early tea party supporter, but some conservative activists have turned sour as he moves closer to launching a presidential campaign. They’re particularly upset with his position on immigration, but also criticize his record on public health, spending and his former affiliation with the Democratic Party.

Tea party groups in Texas have shared criticism with the New Hampshire Tea Party Coalition, which now dedicates a section of its website to attacking Perry.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I HOPE that the votes will go to Santorum - who in my mind is the best on the issues across the board. Of course that is probably not very likely.

Either way I could vote FOR most of these candidates (with varying amounts of enthusiasm) - and absolutely will vote against B.O. and his stench.

SaintLouieWoman
08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I HOPE that the votes will go to Santorum - who in my mind is the best on the issues across the board. Of course that is probably not very likely.

Either way I could vote FOR most of these candidates (with varying amounts of enthusiasm) - and absolutely will vote against B.O. and his stench.

Isn't it sad that it always comes down to "anyone but ___"? I'm with you that I indeed would vote for anyone but Obama, the worst president ever.

I'd vote for my dog Darlene before I'd vote for Obama. At least she wouldn't do any harm. Darlene loves everyone and has no agenda. :D