PDA

View Full Version : HP kills TouchPad, looks to exit PC business

SarasotaRepub
08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Bummer! (http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/technology/hp_pc_spinoff/index.htm?hpt=te_bn1)

By David Goldman (david.goldman@turner.com) @CNNMoneyTech (http://twitter.com/CNNmoneytech) August 18, 2011: 6:12 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hewlett-Packard is taking a hatchet to its business and doing some radical restructuring.

The company said Thursday that it is looking to spin off its industry-leading but struggling personal computer business. HP also killed off the TouchPad tablet it launched last month, as well as its webOS smartphone line.

If I had just bought one of their new tablets, I'd be pissed! And I saw them running a commercial for them last night.

Zafod
08-19-2011, 09:32 AM
The touchpad with web OS is fantastic.... Just can't keep up in the market.

ironhorsedriver
08-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I was planning on buying the touch pad this Friday. I'm glad I saw this, looks like Zoom or IPad.

djones520
08-19-2011, 11:34 AM
That's a shame. My current PC is an HP and I love it. Both my laptops are as well. They make good machines.

Zafod
08-20-2011, 03:57 PM
I was planning on buying the touch pad this Friday. I'm glad I saw this, looks like Zoom or IPad.

Skip the zoom, if you want a good andoid tab get the HTC tab. It's amazing.

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 06:12 AM
People are returning them left and right with major issues.

As far as hp, I am typing on a hp laptop right now.

It's no different then some other companies that keep selling the same crappy computers under different names.

Zafod
08-22-2011, 09:09 AM
People are returning them left and right with major issues.

The touchpad or the HTC tab?

Novaheart
08-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Bummer! (http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/technology/hp_pc_spinoff/index.htm?hpt=te_bn1)

If I had just bought one of their new tablets, I'd be pissed! And I saw them running a commercial for them last night.

Hewlett Packard makes computers? I thought they made printers and doorstops.

Novaheart
08-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Just out of curiosity, why are you buying a tablet? What piece of equipment is it replacing or improving?

Seriously, I think the iPad is a neat idea gadget-wise, but for the price of a fully outfitted one ($850) you are very close to a fully functional macbook ($950).

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 04:37 PM
The touchpad or the HTC tab?

Touchpad.

It could simply be that they rushed to get something out into the market to get their slice of the apple pie.

fettpett
08-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are you buying a tablet? What piece of equipment is it replacing or improving?

Seriously, I think the iPad is a neat idea gadget-wise, but for the price of a fully outfitted one ($850) you are very close to a fully functional macbook ($950).

they do have their uses and place, take the place of a smartphone and laptop where using them would be a pain.

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Touch screens have been used for years, I used them to mix paint for cars, in which a keyboard would be hard to use with rubber gloves on and covered in paint toners....damage appraisers also used them and would upload the estimates from remote locations...

About the touchpad...$100 at Best Buy this weekend? http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/201213/20110821/best-buy-hp-touchpad-rumors-sale-price-specification-models-webos-stock-los-angeles-tablet.htm

ironhorsedriver
08-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm buying it to carry on the road. I'm a railroader who spends time away from home in motels. I carry a laptop now, however it takes up a lot of space in my bag, as well as weight. A tablet is just simple to carry and use for email, browsing, etc.

RobJohnson
08-24-2011, 05:40 AM
I'm buying it to carry on the road. I'm a railroader who spends time away from home in motels. I carry a laptop now, however it takes up a lot of space in my bag, as well as weight. A tablet is just simple to carry and use for email, browsing, etc.

I have a little netbook that slides right in the front pocket of my carry on bag...works great.

Now if I could score a $100 touchpad this weekend at Best Buy, I might reconsider...