PDA

View Full Version : Drinking is a 'handicap,' fired former Florida State administrator says

bijou
08-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Florida State University was hit with a wrongful termination lawsuit on Wednesday.

Frank Stephenson, who was the director for research communications at FSU, is asking for $75,000 to compensate for the emotional distress and damage to his career and reputation.

The lawsuit was filed in United States District Court for the North District of Florida.

In an unusual claim, Stephenson said the university should have provided "reasonable accommodations" for his handicap of alcoholism, which the suit says his supervisors were aware of. ...http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/os-drinker-sues-fsu-over-firing-20110819,0,1095836.story

Articulate_Ape
08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
I could be on disability? Who knew? :confused:

bijou
08-19-2011, 06:55 PM

Missed a trick, that's why he is an academic and you aren't. :D

Apache
08-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Missed a trick, that's why he is an academic and you aren't. :D

Huh?

He's smoking....

a cigarette.....

:eek::p

lacarnut
08-19-2011, 07:46 PM

Me too and to think I squandered 30 years of no booze. :rolleyes::)

Novaheart
08-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Me too and to think I squandered 30 years of no booze. :rolleyes::)

Wow, you're like this and you're sober? I always assumed you were crocked. OK, fess up, what meds are you on?

Apache
08-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Wow, you're like this and you're sober? I always assumed you were crocked. OK, fess up, what meds are you on?

Step back ..... fucker :mad:

noonwitch
08-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that people can be eligible for SSI for conditions related to substance abuse-the diseases like cirrohsis, that are caused by decades of drinking or drugging.

Novaheart
08-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that people can be eligible for SSI for conditions related to substance abuse-the diseases like cirrohsis, that are caused by decades of drinking or drugging.

People can be on disability for all kinds of self inflicted conditions, from smoking to occupational illnesses.

Alcoholism is treated both as an illness and "willful misconduct (in military parlance) ". As such, major employers tend to offer treatment or rehabilitation but are under no obligation to tolerate a drunken employee on the job or other behavioral effects of non-abstinent alcoholism.

Frankly, I think most of the "alcoholism as illness" stuff is pure psychobabble. AA and all the anonymouses became a fad in this country in the 1970's and 1980's , especially in California, but there are literally millions of people who either with the assistance of AA or without it, simply continued to be sober or rarest users without the ongoing membership in what really amounts to a behavior focussed religious cult. I don't say "cult" to be nasty, merely using it in the clinical sense.

noonwitch
08-22-2011, 03:32 PM
People can be on disability for all kinds of self inflicted conditions, from smoking to occupational illnesses.

Alcoholism is treated both as an illness and "willful misconduct (in military parlance) ". As such, major employers tend to offer treatment or rehabilitation but are under no obligation to tolerate a drunken employee on the job or other behavioral effects of non-abstinent alcoholism.

Frankly, I think most of the "alcoholism as illness" stuff is pure psychobabble. AA and all the anonymouses became a fad in this country in the 1970's and 1980's , especially in California, but there are literally millions of people who either with the assistance of AA or without it, simply continued to be sober or rarest users without the ongoing membership in what really amounts to a behavior focussed religious cult. I don't say "cult" to be nasty, merely using it in the clinical sense.

My dad quit drinking cold turkey without rehab or 12 steps. I'm not a big fan of 12 step programs, although I think they help a lot of people who need group support to stop. The original AA program/literature was made to define alcoholism through a specific pattern of behavior. Now, everyone who is caught DUI is sent to AA, even though not everyone who is caught DUI is an alcoholic by Bill Ws definition. Binge drinkers are not necessarily alcoholics-they might not have blackouts, they might not drink daily, they may be young people/college students who will grow out of the phase.

I'll bet when I was in college, I drank as much as Lindsay Lohan-I just was too poor to have a car, so no DUIs. I didn't do any hard drugs, though. I got out of college, got a job that required me to get up before the crack of dawn, and stopped drinking.

But there is money to be made off labelling people alcoholics-insurance companies to bill, books to be sold, and so on.

Bailey
08-22-2011, 04:01 PM

listen up nancy boy he makes a whole lot more sense then you.

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Shut the fuck up.

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 04:35 PM

Your big gov't mandates that many go to AA...so who is pushing the cult???

lacarnut
08-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Don't need drugs. I am high on life. What is your excuse for being a pathetic downer?

Novaheart
08-22-2011, 08:39 PM
My dad quit drinking cold turkey without rehab or 12 steps. I'm not a big fan of 12 step programs, although I think they help a lot of people who need group support to stop. The original AA program/literature was made to define alcoholism through a specific pattern of behavior. Now, everyone who is caught DUI is sent to AA, even though not everyone who is caught DUI is an alcoholic by Bill Ws definition. Binge drinkers are not necessarily alcoholics-they might not have blackouts, they might not drink daily, they may be young people/college students who will grow out of the phase.

I'll bet when I was in college, I drank as much as Lindsay Lohan-I just was too poor to have a car, so no DUIs. I didn't do any hard drugs, though. I got out of college, got a job that required me to get up before the crack of dawn, and stopped drinking.

But there is money to be made off labelling people alcoholics-insurance companies to bill, books to be sold, and so on.

Don't get me wrong. I think there is tremendous value to AA, much more so than your average religion or church. After attending AA many times, I came to believe that there ought to be an AA for people who aren't alcoholics. What could be better for most folks than to get up from the dinner table and go to such a therapeutic environment, where there is valuable structure and a forum for discussing your problems as well as listening to other people. Beats the hell out of game shows.

Novaheart
08-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Shut the fuck up.

Your big gov't mandates that many go to AA...so who is pushing the cult???