PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene!!!

SarasotaRepub
08-20-2011, 11:21 PM
http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109_sat.jpg

As of this post it looks like St. Thomas is getting some of Irene with more to follow...
This could be a BIG storm. Till it hits the mountains.

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2011, 10:28 AM
http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109_5day.gif

If it follows this track I doubt it'll be a hurricane when it gets to FL. Hispanola and Cuba will rip it apart.

Hawkgirl
08-21-2011, 04:18 PM
http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109_5day.gif

If it follows this track I doubt it'll be a hurricane when it gets to FL. Hispanola and Cuba will rip it apart.

We can hope....but we're going to get some of it....

djones520
08-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Current track by the NHC has it beelining at Miami.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0911W5_NL+gif/145713W5_NL_sm.gif

Hawkgirl
08-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Current track by the NHC has it beelining at Miami.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0911W5_NL+gif/145713W5_NL_sm.gif

I'm about an hour north of Miami:eek: Where is the dirty side of the storm?

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Miami can take a Cat 1 Storm with it's eyes closed.

Right Hawkgirl??? :eek::D

Hawkgirl
08-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Miami can take a Cat 1 Storm with it's eyes closed.

Right Hawkgirl??? :eek::D

So many new high rises in Miami...I sure hope they were built to Hurricane codes....

BTW...it's a monster storm...HUGE

djones520
08-21-2011, 07:11 PM
So many new high rises in Miami...I sure hope they were built to Hurricane codes....

BTW...it's a monster storm...HUGE

Big doesn't mean strong.

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Big doesn't mean strong.

Exactly. And it will interact with mountains. They kill canes.

SaintLouieWoman
08-21-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm about an hour north of Miami:eek: Where is the dirty side of the storm?
Are you near the coast? We're about 2 1/2 miles inland. SR loves tracking these things. They just frighten me. He's been stopping me from taking the little garden decorative things out of the backyard, says we should wait.

Hawkgirl
08-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Are you near the coast? We're about 2 1/2 miles inland. SR loves tracking these things. They just frighten me. He's been stopping me from taking the little garden decorative things out of the backyard, says we should wait.

About 2-3 miles from the beach...but I'm not in an evacuation zone as I am West of I95.My house has hurricane impact glass windows...but I would still go to my dad's house...as he has accordion shutters, but more importantly, he has a generator and a gas grill....:D

Novaheart
08-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Thankfully I live in the magic no hurricane zone.

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2011, 09:52 PM
About 2-3 miles from the beach...but I'm not in an evacuation zone as I am West of I95.My house has hurricane impact glass windows...but I would still go to my dad's house...as he has accordion shutters, but more importantly, he has a generator and a gas grill....:D

You'll be fine.

Looks like San Juan is getting a good blow right now but it's hardly the end of the world. PR will most likely have flooding problems but that's par for the course there.

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2011, 09:58 PM

We aren't in an evac zone either and like Nova said we're in the Magic Area of no hurricanes too.:D

I've been watching the Weather Channel guys today and they are for sure getting the rain slickers out and heading for Miami...

SaintLouieWoman
08-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Our house came with the hurricane impact glass. The house was built in 1980, but about 8 years ago the previous owners gutted it and put in all the new windows. Those windows are so thick that we can barely hear when it's raining outside. The weird thing is they left the front and side doors unprotected, so we got accordion shutters made for both. We also got that 160 mph hurricane rated new garage door installed.

We were going to put in a whole house generator, but with no natural gas in our development, it would have cost about $11k to get the propane tank dug and the generator installed. With the constant devaluation of these houses, didn't want to put in the money, so have a large portable generator and an electrical box installed so at least we will have fans, electric range and frig going. (as long as we have enough gas to run the generator).

SarasotaRepub
08-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Good, looks like the storm predictions have it moving
more east which will keep the worse winds offshore...

Oh, and it is a hurricane now, barely.

fettpett
08-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Thankfully I live in the magic no hurricane zone.

same here, I may live next to some big lakes, but they don't generate anything worse than a tornado or 2

Novaheart
08-22-2011, 10:10 AM
same here, I may live next to some big lakes, but they don't generate anything worse than a tornado or 2

The Tampa Bay area gets some high wind now and then, and a direct hit every hundred years or so. As such, it's on par with Ocean City Maryland.

Seriously, when people say hurricane they think Florida and vice-versa. Hurricanes tend to skirt Florida, they slam Texas and the Carolinas much more frequently it seems.

SarasotaRepub
08-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Looks like they are saying CAT 3 now since it's NOT going to go over the mountains but stay over water. As long as it keeps curving north and east...

Hawkgirl
08-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Looks like they are saying CAT 3 now since it's NOT going to go over the mountains but stay over water. As long as it keeps curving north and east...

Hurricanes are fickle little stinkers......we won't really know for a day. According to this morning, it was moving NW

Molon Labe
08-22-2011, 04:47 PM
They kill canes.

Know what else kills Hurricanes?

Nevin Shapiro. :D

couldn't resist the sports reference

SarasotaRepub
08-22-2011, 10:25 PM
She's up to CAT 2 at 100mph...

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Eye Wall is forming, about halfway there...

Hawkgirl
08-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Eye Wall is forming, about halfway there...

halfway to where? a 4 or 5 ?:eek:

My cousin in NY always busts on me about living in Florida and Hurricanes. I just left a sweet little note for him on FB...if he needs to find refuge, he can come stay with me in FL...oh, the irony!:cool:

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 09:05 PM
halfway to where? a 4 or 5 ?:eek:

My cousin in NY always busts on me about living in Florida and Hurricanes. I just left a sweet little note for him on FB...if he needs to find refuge, he can come stay with me in FL...oh, the irony!:cool:

Ha! :D

Looks like we're in da clear but NYC may not be. 1st they get a earthquake and then a hurricane!! :D

JoeKwonDo
08-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Been in Sarasota 10 years now and it seems to be the safest place in the state to be when these storms come. Hope I didn't jinx us!

SarasotaRepub
08-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Been in Sarasota 10 years now and it seems to be the safest place in the state to be when these storms come. Hope I didn't jinx us!

Yep, although that almost got changed by Charlie which was headed right for us before it turned!

Irene is a CAT 3 again but the latest forecasts continue to have it curving more east so that is a good thing...

SarasotaRepub
08-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Looks like the Weather Channel guys will have to go to Nassau. I bet they're upset. :D

SarasotaRepub
08-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Here's another cool site to watch these storms... (http://www.stormpulse.com/atlantic?desc=NHC&idx=38&trk=1&sid=201109&lat=27.199&lon=-75.484&z=3&rd=1&cd=1&tk=1&ww=0&mo=0&sl=1&ht=0&mg=0&ob=1&wf=1&ml=1&ql=0)

:thumbsup:

Hawkgirl
08-25-2011, 06:51 PM
it's a monster!

http://i51.tinypic.com/2rogy1l.jpg

SaintLouieWoman
08-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Hawkgirl, did the storm hit your area today? We just had one little quick rain from it and the palms were blowing a bit, but nothing significant.

Hawkgirl
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Hawkgirl, did the storm hit your area today? We just had one little quick rain from it and the palms were blowing a bit, but nothing significant.

Irene bringing her ominous sky over S. Florida....This is what I looked like when I left for work...then rain for my whole commute...but I think the rain will last for a little while longer...but it's not raining as hard....

You probably wont' see much on the West coast...

http://i52.tinypic.com/9u91cz.jpg

SarasotaRepub
08-26-2011, 10:50 PM
This storm has been over-hyped.

It isn't a EOTW storm and is just a real BIG low grade hurricane.

Some flooding and beach erosion but the sun till come out tomorrow
no matter what the idiots on the news stations say.

No :DDsmilie_panic:for you!!! :D

Tecate
08-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Over here in Texas we can barely get a freakin' drop of rain. It's been drier than a popcorn fart here for almost a year now. You could flick a cigarette out the window of your car and burn down the whole damned city.

I wish that storm would have come straight up through the gulf... We need the rain badly.