PDA

View Full Version : Starting South Beach/Atkins Diet Today...

Hawkgirl
08-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Wish me luck, I need it!:D

They are both so similar..but I am going to allow myself to eat a fruit if I have a bad sugar craving...Atkins doesn't allow that..but SB does.

Yesterday when I got home from work, I had starch cravings...so I made a elbow pasta with peas...really fast and simple to make...but afterwards:( OMG...horrible indigestion, up for hours unable to sleep, my tummy was bloated..I wanted to puke,,but didn't.

I decided I need to get those starchy carbs out of my life..and I need to lose weight.

Goodbye sweets, bagels, pasta, bread...etc....Only carbs will be vegetables and salads...and occasional fruit. Oy vey!

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Good luck with the diet. But I'm not realy sure any diet really works without some serious lifestyle changes.

Molon Labe
08-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Please make sure you do more of the South Beach Diet than Atkins.

Atkins is not healthy in the long run. Don't want to see you do something bad to yourself.

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Atkins is not healthy in the long run. Don't want to see you do something bad to yourself.

She's pretty smart and works in health care. I'm sure she is aware of the dangers. I've seen her picture...she looks great now already.

Hawkgirl
08-22-2011, 05:22 PM

I am planning to...I want to have the healthier proteins like fish and chicken instead of bacon...lol.

Today I am having grilled mahi mahi and a green salad with american cheese.

Hawkgirl
08-22-2011, 05:22 PM
She's pretty smart and works in health care. I'm sure she is aware of the dangers. I've seen her picture...she looks great now already.

Awww thanks...flattery will get you.....

everywhere :o;):D

lacarnut
08-22-2011, 05:30 PM
South Beach was an easy diet for me. Lost 60 pounds. Need to get back on it and start walking again.

Hawkgirl
08-22-2011, 05:36 PM
South Beach was an easy diet for me. Lost 60 pounds. Need to get back on it and start walking again.

Wow...awesome...how long did it take to get 60 pounds off?:eek:

lacarnut
08-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Wow...awesome...how long did it take to get 60 pounds off?:eek:

4 or 5 months. Within the first month, I had lost 20 months. Giving up sweets, eating healthy foods and walking before bedtime did the trick.

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Awww thanks...flattery will get you.....

everywhere :o;):D

:D I call it like I see it...not only are you cute, you are a great mother & have a brain.

RobJohnson
08-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I eat about one good meal a day. I work with graziers that eat junk food all day long at work and then get pissed off when their health care provider suggests that if they lost weight they would have less back problems. Most of these are young girls under 30...in another 10 years they will be huge...

I avoid the junk food, and althoiugh I don't eat the perfect diet, I think twice about what I'm going to eat...those on my facebook page might notice when I do eat, I eat well...lol

I had egg beaters this morning with a little salt & pepper, that was hours ago....

Last year I had to struggle with the seat belt on an airplane...this year I noticed it was easy to snap and even had to tighten it....I have no ass...mostly gut...and it takes soooooooo long to get rid of it, I am making sure I don't gain any of it back and trying to keep the reduction going...

SaintLouieWoman
08-22-2011, 11:19 PM

They are both so similar..but I am going to allow myself to eat a fruit if I have a bad sugar craving...Atkins doesn't allow that..but SB does.

Yesterday when I got home from work, I had starch cravings...so I made a elbow pasta with peas...really fast and simple to make...but afterwards:( OMG...horrible indigestion, up for hours unable to sleep, my tummy was bloated..I wanted to puke,,but didn't.

I decided I need to get those starchy carbs out of my life..and I need to lose weight.

Goodbye sweets, bagels, pasta, bread...etc....Only carbs will be vegetables and salads...and occasional fruit. Oy vey!

Good luck with it, know you will do well.

My doc is extreme. He told me no fruit on South Beach til I reach my goal weight. I went along with it for a couple months, but finally cracked. I'm in phase 2 now, so added a few blueberries and raspberries.

There is a pasta called Dreamfields (think that's right) that I get at Publix. It supposedly has less starch and was specifically mentioned on a little sheet of paper that my internist gave me. Tonight we had their version of macaroni with tons of veggies. I'm cutting down on the amount of olive oil used, too. I know it's allowed but think we shouldn't be quite so liberal with it.

After too long on phase 1, I've lost my taste for sweets. SR had a small pie for his birthday pie and I didn't eat a bite.

I'm getting discouraged as have lost about 20 pounds since April, but it's slowing down. My knee is hurting me so bad now that I'm having a tough time walking. Using a Pilates ring for exercise doesn't exactly give me the cardio I need. I guess that at this point that I should be happy to just maintain til my knee is fixed and I can start walking with SR again.

Rockntractor
08-22-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm sticking with the see food diet.:)

MountainMan
08-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Hawk, my wife and I are finishing phase one... Now we are allowed some complex carbs. You wont believe how much you learn to like whole grain spaghetti. :D

fettpett
08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Hawk, my wife and I are finishing phase one... Now we are allowed some complex carbs. You wont believe how much you learn to like whole grain spaghetti. :D

thats the only type of pasta we get really. it's gotten a WHOLE lot better than it was 10-15 years ago

Novaheart
08-23-2011, 11:21 AM

Most of all, what ever kind of diet you choose (other than Optifast) , keep a food diary of everything you eat meticulously measured and weigh yourself daily. Women have a particularly difficult time of losing weight because their bodies are designed to conserve rather than to burn and their calorie requirements are lower to start with.

Also, have a supervisor. Call your best friend or mother each day and report your weight. You can kid yourself, you can't kid your supervisor.

Got a bicycle?

Novaheart
08-23-2011, 11:25 AM

My doc is extreme. He told me no fruit on South Beach til I reach my goal weight. I went along with it for a couple months, but finally cracked. I'm in phase 2 now, so added a few blueberries and raspberries.

There is a pasta called Dreamfields (think that's right) that I get at Publix. It supposedly has less starch and was specifically mentioned on a little sheet of paper that my internist gave me. Tonight we had their version of macaroni with tons of veggies. I'm cutting down on the amount of olive oil used, too. I know it's allowed but think we shouldn't be quite so liberal with it.

After too long on phase 1, I've lost my taste for sweets. SR had a small pie for his birthday pie and I didn't eat a bite.

I'm getting discouraged as have lost about 20 pounds since April, but it's slowing down. My knee is hurting me so bad now that I'm having a tough time walking. Using a Pilates ring for exercise doesn't exactly give me the cardio I need. I guess that at this point that I should be happy to just maintain til my knee is fixed and I can start walking with SR again.

In the organic vegetable section at Publix is a "pasta" which has almost no calories, no carbs, and not much of anything.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Wh82ZJJCbIk/TfmF4rweCiI/AAAAAAAAAL8/MgUCwLCqV6c/s1600/tofu_shirataki.jpg

Zafod
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM

http://www.livestrong.com/article/297983-anabolic-diet-for-women/

anibolic diet is a better choice.....

noonwitch
08-23-2011, 04:40 PM

Do you have access to a bike (either riding or stationary) or a pool? The bike is good because it keeps your knee from taking the stress because most of your weight will be taken care of by the seat. Swimming will help your knee in general, because it puts no stress on it. Both are good cardio exercise.

I have bad knees, too, I can relate. I watch the people use those elipticals, and just know those instruments of torture would destroy my knees.

I broke my size 20 plateau by adding biking and weights to my daily swim (35-40 minutes), on weekends (2-3 days a week). I ride for 10 minutes, then do 20 abdominal crunches and 25 back stretches. I decided to add a new weight thing every month, so I added the upper arm pulls this month and do about 10 of those. My newest pair of pants is an 18, and my latest dress is a 1X, so it's working. I plan to add 5 more minutes on the bike by Thanksgiving, along with adding a new weight exercise each month. My 30 year class reunion is September 2012 and I want to be as close to my goal as possible. I am currently smaller than when I graduated from WMU, and if I'm a 16 next year, I will only be one size more than when I graduated from high school. A 14 means regular women's sizes. I'm 5'10", I'll be happy with a 14. I'll probably always be a plus size in shirts, as the girls have not lost any size, but have actually gained one cup size since I started exercising. Most people I know in Detroit have never seen me thin, since I didn't grow up here.

But I'm not dieting. No South Beach, no Adkins, no Weight Watchers. Ice cream is good, I make my own brownies or cookies, which means no preservatives and chemicals to add to the calories. I eat restaurant food pretty much every working day, too.

Hawkgirl
08-23-2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.livestrong.com/article/297983-anabolic-diet-for-women/

anibolic diet is a better choice.....

I like the idea of "carb cycling"...it's not as restrictive of main food groups...which is a good thing. I may switch to this method after a few weeks on SB....and see if there is a difference.

Thanks for the link!

Know where I can get a sample meal plan?

Edit: I found one..http://www.3fatchicks.com/free-sample-menu-for-the-anabolic-diet/
Is one supposed to eat 5 meals a day??

Zafod
08-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I like the idea of "carb cycling"...it's not as restrictive of main food groups...which is a good thing. I may switch to this method after a few weeks on SB....and see if there is a difference.

Thanks for the link!

The reason atkins and SB dont work well is they force the body to break down muscle and convert it to suger to burn.

A refeed day or two keeps the body from doing this because you replenish gycogen stores.

I cant do this diet now because I compete all the time and need carbs all the time.

But I also eat 4500 cals a day and gain nothing lol

Hawkgirl
08-23-2011, 05:47 PM
The reason atkins and SB dont work well is they force the body to break down muscle and convert it to suger to burn.

A refeed day or two keeps the body from doing this because you replenish gycogen stores.

I cant do this diet now because I compete all the time and need carbs all the time.

But I also eat 4500 cals a day and gain nothing lol

So how fast does this diet work? I have no patience...I need to see progress after 2 days..:o My goal is to lose 30 pounds.

Zafod
08-23-2011, 06:11 PM
So how fast does this diet work? I have no patience...I need to see progress after 2 days..:o My goal is to lose 30 pounds.

the first 10 days is no carbs.

30 grams or less per day.

you should lose right off the bat. Take fiber supliments.....

I lost 100 lbs in 10 months

SaintLouieWoman
08-23-2011, 07:19 PM
In the organic vegetable section at Publix is a "pasta" which has almost no calories, no carbs, and not much of anything.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Wh82ZJJCbIk/TfmF4rweCiI/AAAAAAAAAL8/MgUCwLCqV6c/s1600/tofu_shirataki.jpg

Thanks, will try some. How does it taste? SR is still getting over the shock of no white rice or regular pasta. It's whole grains for us, now that I'm past that phase 1. :D

SaintLouieWoman
08-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Do you have access to a bike (either riding or stationary) or a pool? The bike is good because it keeps your knee from taking the stress because most of your weight will be taken care of by the seat. Swimming will help your knee in general, because it puts no stress on it. Both are good cardio exercise.

I have bad knees, too, I can relate. I watch the people use those elipticals, and just know those instruments of torture would destroy my knees.

I broke my size 20 plateau by adding biking and weights to my daily swim (35-40 minutes), on weekends (2-3 days a week). I ride for 10 minutes, then do 20 abdominal crunches and 25 back stretches. I decided to add a new weight thing every month, so I added the upper arm pulls this month and do about 10 of those. My newest pair of pants is an 18, and my latest dress is a 1X, so it's working. I plan to add 5 more minutes on the bike by Thanksgiving, along with adding a new weight exercise each month. My 30 year class reunion is September 2012 and I want to be as close to my goal as possible. I am currently smaller than when I graduated from WMU, and if I'm a 16 next year, I will only be one size more than when I graduated from high school. A 14 means regular women's sizes. I'm 5'10", I'll be happy with a 14. I'll probably always be a plus size in shirts, as the girls have not lost any size, but have actually gained one cup size since I started exercising. Most people I know in Detroit have never seen me thin, since I didn't grow up here.

But I'm not dieting. No South Beach, no Adkins, no Weight Watchers. Ice cream is good, I make my own brownies or cookies, which means no preservatives and chemicals to add to the calories. I eat restaurant food pretty much every working day, too.

I had a nice recumbant bike, but sold it when we moved here. I couldn't use it because my knees are so stiff that they won't bend enough to do a rotation. When I had my first knee surgery it took almost 6 months to make that complete rotation. Everyone in the physical therapy place applauded when I finally did it. I worked like crazy, but then life interfered. When I wasn't doing PT every day, the knee started to stiffen again.

The knee that's getting replaced in October got this way because the other knee surgery was a pretty botched job. I put too much pressure on the "good" knee and it's been destroyed over a 10 year time frame.

It sounds weird to have a pool here and not get in it, but I keep waiting til the afternoon when the water is warmer to go in. But all summer it's been raining almost every afternoon.

I've been doing a lot of exercises every day with a Pilates ring, also the physical therapy exercises to strengthen the legs that I was given when I had the surgery originally scheduled (week after SR ended up having the stroke). The knee almost feels raw now when I walk.

Sounds like you've done great, particularly since you haven't been on a "diet". I think it all boils down to lifestyle changes. I'm looking forward to being able to walk again for distances. The darned knee is limiting my life. I want to go to these beautiful beaches around here, but the physical therapist told me to stay off the sand, too hard on the knee.

RobJohnson
08-24-2011, 05:45 AM
The darned knee is limiting my life

So sorry to hear this. I hope you are able to get it fixed soon. I know you have a lot on your plate right now.

RobJohnson
08-24-2011, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the link!

Know where I can get a sample meal plan?

Edit: I found one..http://www.3fatchicks.com/free-sample-menu-for-the-anabolic-diet/
Is one supposed to eat 5 meals a day??

Some science claims our body does better on five small meals a day.

For those of us that work, have kids, and even a life...I think that might be difficult. I know a couple over the road truck drivers that did that to lose weight...but it was easy for them to eat and drive for most of the meals...

Novaheart
08-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks, will try some. How does it taste? SR is still getting over the shock of no white rice or regular pasta. It's whole grains for us, now that I'm past that phase 1. :D

What these noodles accomplish has less to do with taste than it does with scratching a culinary itch. You'll need to experiment with them, according to your dietary restrictions. They don't hold tomato sauce all that well, but if you drop them in a hot pan with a little olive oil some onion, garlic, and a little romano it's almost food.

Seriously, these noodles aren't gong to replace real pasta, but they are better than nothing. They are also rather expensive. Each pouch is billed as two servings, but I consider it one serving. Then again, when I make mostaccioli for myself, a weigh out two servings (according to the box) because I would rather have one good plate of pasta for breakfast and no lunch, than a little pasta for breakfast and a little for lunch.

nightflight
08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
The big thing to remember and adhere to is eat real food. Don't eat things that have ingredients you can't pronounce.

RobJohnson
08-29-2011, 05:56 AM
Everyone wants quick results...those usually result in the quick return of the pounds... :D

Zafod
08-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Everyone wants quick results...those usually result in the quick return of the pounds... :D

Except when doing the anibolic diet....

creepingdeath
08-30-2011, 09:34 AM
I have lost some weight recently by cutting out crap things like sugary soda, and by not snacking very much. I returned to martial arts training a few months ago also, after three years out. It was pretty hard to get back into it, but now it's part of life again, and I really like it. I have lost just under 20 pounds in the past few months, and have 45 to go to get to my ideal fighting weight. Lose fat, add muscle. The more muscle you have, the faster you burn fat, too.

I still eat ribs sometimes, and even a slice of pie once in a while, and my whole plan involves just eating stuff you can find at any grocery store without hitting the weird section, cause then it can't last.