PDA

View Full Version : Magnitude 5.8 earthquake shakes Virginia, D.C. and New York

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Breaking on CNN...

Anyone feel it???

Bailey
08-23-2011, 02:14 PM
I am here in Newark NJ and i felt it!!! OH MY GOD i thought someone was on my truck messing with me

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 02:19 PM
I've been thru a 5.0 when I lived in Jersey so today must have been quite a shaker!

noonwitch
08-23-2011, 02:20 PM
One of my coworkers was on the phone with someone in DC and the phone went dead.

People on Channel 4's (Detroit) website are claiming they felt a jolt here. I'm in a single-story building, and didn't feel anything.

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 02:22 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/08/23/t1larg.earthquake.map.jpg

Bailey
08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Maybe if we are lucky washington will get swallowed up. :D

megimoo
08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/08/23/t1larg.earthquake.map.jpgIt's them Dune Worms Again...

Bailey
08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
I've been thru a 5.0 when I lived in Jersey so today must have been quite a shaker!

I dont think it was a 5.9 up here where i am at.

Molon Labe
08-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Breaking on CNN...

Anyone feel it???

Yep. Saw some shelves start shaking. About 2 hours west of the epicenter. According to a lady from L.A. I work with, it was a "baby".

linda22003
08-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Maybe if we are lucky washington will get swallowed up. :D

Sorry to disappoint you. We're all fine. I'm on the 8th floor of an office building; the floor shook and the overhead lights danced. We all left the building, and the biggest hazard of the afternoon was that some engineers were actually exposed to direct sunlight.

ironhorsedriver
08-23-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm in a motel in Charlottesville, Va. The whole damn building swayed for a long time. No aftershocks so far. I hope the tracks aren't damaged, gotta take the train home tomorrow.

linda22003
08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
You were a lot closer to it in Cville than we were in NoVa.

Molon Labe
08-23-2011, 03:02 PM
You were a lot closer to it in Cville than we were in NoVa.

Seems like the track of who got the brunt was more North and South. We felt it here in S.W....but not near as much as D.C

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 03:05 PM
I loved how they said there were no tsunamis coming. :rolleyes::D

You guys up north are a bunch of pussies. :p:p:D

hai
08-23-2011, 03:06 PM
I sure hope everyone is ok,i lived near there back when i was younger,in Edgewater,Maryland.

ironhorsedriver
08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
DC is over-reacting, here in Charlottesville, it's business as usual. I don't think it even slowed down.

linda22003
08-23-2011, 03:17 PM
DC is over-reacting, here in Charlottesville, it's business as usual. I don't think it even slowed down.

Overreacting? I was back in my office 20 minutes later.

Odysseus
08-23-2011, 03:20 PM

I was at a light in Springfield and felt it. At first, I thought that the van was idling really rough, or that someone had rear-ended me, but everyone else was looking around and the traffic light was swaying. I figured that it was Obama's approval rating crashing. :D

namvet
08-23-2011, 03:31 PM
they said this morning one hit southeast of denver. im not that far from the new madrid fault line

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
they said this morning one hit southeast of denver. im not that far from the new madrid fault line

Move. Quick. :an::D

ralph wiggum
08-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Sorry to disappoint you. We're all fine. I'm on the 8th floor of an office building; the floor shook and the overhead lights danced. We all left the building, and the biggest hazard of the afternoon was that some engineers were actually exposed to direct sunlight.

:rotfl:

ralph wiggum
08-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Glad everyone is ok. Saw this elsewhere and had to share:

Obama officials pointing out they "inherited" fault lines from previous administration..

:D

namvet
08-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Move. Quick. :an::D

the last time the new madrid blew it rang church bells on the east coast. mover where???

Bailey
08-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I wonder if the magic negro's golf game was screwed up by the quake.

noonwitch
08-23-2011, 03:55 PM

You all have a hurricane headed your way, and if the weatherman on CNN is to be believed, it's worse than Katrina and you are all going to die!!!!

It's time to panic! Run to Walmart and buy anything they have left! Board up your windows and try to make it to the evacuation center without getting stuck behind miles of senior drivers! Or
else you're doomed!

linda22003
08-23-2011, 04:04 PM
It's time to panic! Run to Walmart and buy anything they have left! Board up your windows and try to make it to the evacuation center without getting stuck behind miles of senior drivers! Or else you're doomed!

When you live in the DC area you know that the idea of evacuation is ludicrous, since normal traffic is almost impossible. I'm within easy reach of the Ritz Carlton, so in the event of the Apocalypse I will repair to the bar there, for one last perfect Manhattan, straight up. If it really IS the Apocalypse, I hope they will give me TWO cherries.

Zathras
08-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Meh, 5.9? Is that all? In California when a weak one like that hits we ask if a big truck drove by. :p

namvet
08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
that's not the debt ceiling !!

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4059/oba.png

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 05:05 PM
You all have a hurricane headed your way, and if the weatherman on CNN is to be believed, it's worse than Katrina and you are all going to die!!!!

It's time to panic! Run to Walmart and buy anything they have left! Board up your windows and try to make it to the evacuation center without getting stuck behind miles of senior drivers! Or
else you're doomed!

I used "The Force" and Irene is going to hit Bayonne NJ...no loss. :D

Speedy
08-23-2011, 05:22 PM

I was on an exercise in Yuma in the the Army when the big one hit the Bay Area in California and we felt it good.

Hawkgirl
08-23-2011, 05:42 PM

else you're doomed!

With hurricanes, we can prepare...with Earthquakes....well, you know.

obx
08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
We felt it on the Outer Banks.

Odysseus
08-23-2011, 06:06 PM
There is a nuclear plant not far from the quake epicenter, and they did an emergency shutdown, just in case, but there's been no report of any damage.

namvet
08-23-2011, 06:10 PM
The New Madrid earthquakes were the biggest earthquakes in American history. They occurred in the central Mississippi Valley, but were felt as far away as New York City, Boston, Montreal, and Washington D. C. President James Madison and his wife Dolly felt them in the White House. Church bells rang in Boston. From December 16, 1811 through March of 1812 there were over 2,000 earthquakes in the central Midwest, and between 6,000-10,000 earthquakes in the Bootheel of Missouri where New Madrid is located near the junction of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

In the known history of the world, no other earthquakes have lasted so long or produced so much evidence of damage as the New Madrid earthquakes. Three of the earthquakes are on the list of America’s top earthquakes: the first one on December 16, 1811, a magnitude of 8.1 on the Richter scale; the second on January 23, 1812, at 7.8; and the third on February 7, 1812, at as much as 8.8 magnitude.

http://www.new-madrid.mo.us/index.aspx?nid=132

The Mississippi Ran Backwards. and its still active and monitored today

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
http://www.new-madrid.mo.us/index.aspx?nid=132

The Mississippi Ran Backwards. and its still active and monitored today

Oh yeah, when we were still living in St. Louis a quake hit one early morning and I felt it, SLW slept thru it. 2 years ago I think.

jendf
08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
The news guy broke into local radio this morning to report it. He said there was "pandemonium" on the east coast. My eyeballs rolled so far back into my head I almost had a stroke.

namvet
08-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Oh yeah, when we were still living in St. Louis a quake hit one early morning and I felt it, SLW slept thru it. 2 years ago I think.

this was last june

Franklin County, Mo (KSDK) -- The United States Geological Service has revised the magnitude of the earthquake located near Sullivan, Missouri to a 3.9. from 4.2.

It hit at 3:10 a.m. and lasted several seconds.

The earthquake was 3.2 miles deep and hit 15 miles east, southeast of Sullivan. Sullivan is located about 50 miles southwest of St. Louis.

People have reported feeling it from as far away as Columbia, Missouri and Carbondale, Illinois.

story (http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/262027/3/42-earthquake-located-near-Sullivan)

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
this was last june

story (http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/262027/3/42-earthquake-located-near-Sullivan)

Yep, SLW son felt that one.

JB
08-23-2011, 07:10 PM

You guys up north are a bunch of pussies. :p:p:DHey, in the Northeast we do oppressive humidity, blizzards, thunderstorms and the occassional hurricane.

We do terrorism, mafia wars, drive-byes, gang violence and whatever else you can imagine in the concrete jungle.

We DO NOT do earthquakes!!! :eek:

My house shook pretty good. It may have been swaying. I started heading for the exit by the time it stopped. It certainly was a unique experience.

namvet
08-23-2011, 07:32 PM
TPCarney: Krugman says it wasn't big enough.

@comradescott: Evidently the quake occurred on a little known fault line outside of DC called "Bush's Fault".

@calebhowe: Breaking: Obama administration points out they "inherited" fault lines from previous administrations.

@MaizeBlueNation: Fox News claims the Washington monument is leaning to the right, MSNBC claims it's leaning to the left. More news at 11.

@charliespiering: I won't stop shaking until Obama makes a speech telling me that everything is ok and that he has a plan

@Ben_Howe: As all of DC leaves work at the same time, the United States experiences a brief economic recovery.

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2011, 07:39 PM
TPCarney: Krugman says it wasn't big enough.

@comradescott: Evidently the quake occurred on a little known fault line outside of DC called "Bush's Fault".

@calebhowe: Breaking: Obama administration points out they "inherited" fault lines from previous administrations.

@MaizeBlueNation: Fox News claims the Washington monument is leaning to the right, MSNBC claims it's leaning to the left. More news at 11.

@charliespiering: I won't stop shaking until Obama makes a speech telling me that everything is ok and that he has a plan

@Ben_Howe: As all of DC leaves work at the same time, the United States experiences a brief economic recovery.

Excellent!!! :D

Bubba Dawg
08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
I felt it in my office in Northeast Georgia. My folks also felt it on The Mountain.

It wasn't that bad but it definitely felt weird.

ABC in Georgia
08-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Hey, in the Northeast we do oppressive humidity, blizzards, thunderstorms and the occassional hurricane.

We do terrorism, mafia wars, drive-byes, gang violence and whatever else you can imagine in the concrete jungle.

We DO NOT do earthquakes!!! :eek:

My house shook pretty good. It may have been swaying. I started heading for the exit by the time it stopped. It certainly was a unique experience.

Wow!

Your experiences sound as varied as mine, however, I have done EARTHQUAKES , and WW2 bombings as well.

Was born in 1940 in England, just south of London (born in an Army Hospital, actually) lived in Toronto, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Cincinnatti, Houston, Dallas, Manasota Key. Fla, summers in Murphy, NC. ... and finally now in North Georgia.

Have been through, earthquakes, hurricanes, oil spills, snowstorm "of the Century" ... don't remind me! Aaarg on Interstate 75 ... flash floods (Houston) you name it ... been there, done that!

Then again, if you are as old as I am, and have have lived in as many places as I have, you get to experience a lot of things, and am thankful to have made it through them all.

However ... even though hubby and I spent our long ago honeymoon in NYC ... am still glad that we do NOT live in the DC area or anywhere near NYC now. That must have been scary to say the least. Last thing on your minds would have been an earhquake.

What scares me the most? The upcoming 10th. Anniversary of Sept. 11 ...

Gotta run ... have company!

~ ABC

namvet
08-23-2011, 08:15 PM
just Muslims test firing a new weapon

the director
08-24-2011, 04:37 AM
Ha!

I was in Haiti four days after the earthquake and worked in the US embassy ... there were quite a few aftershocks. It got to the point that I was wondering if I was "imagining" earthquakes so I left a half-full bottle of water on my desk and would check it if I thought there was an aftershock.

On the third floor in a building that felt like it was on rollers that is built on land that shakes like jello? Fun times.

linda22003
08-24-2011, 08:06 AM
When I got home I found that two out of three decorative candles had fallen off a stand and cracked.
We've decided not to file an insurance claim.

SarasotaRepub
08-24-2011, 09:08 AM
When I got home I found that two out of three decorative candles had fallen off a stand and cracked.
We've decided not to file an insurance claim.

:rotfl:

SarasotaRepub
08-24-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm surprised Fox didn't get Geraldo to go stand in a field and wait for aftershocks...

Odysseus
08-24-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm surprised Fox didn't get Geraldo to go stand in a field and wait for aftershocks...

Is that why he's outside my window with a camera crew? :D

namvet
08-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Washington monument is cracked. Inspections found a crack “at the very, very top” of the monument

SarasotaRepub
08-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Washington monument is cracked. Inspections found a crack “at the very, very top” of the monument

Repair Bill: 2 Billion Dollars.

(And that's with no paint.) :D

namvet
08-24-2011, 09:26 AM

that's because its leaning to the left

Odysseus
08-24-2011, 09:36 AM

It's shovel-ready. :D