PDA

View Full Version : Pat Summitt has early onset dementia

txradioguy
08-23-2011, 04:12 PM
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Pat Summitt plans to coach the Tennessee women's basketball team "as long as the good Lord is willing," despite recently being diagnosed with early-onset dementia.

"There's not going to be any pity party and I'll make sure of that," she told the Knoxville News Sentinel Monday evening. The newspaper first reported Summitt's condition.

In a statement from Summitt released by the university Tuesday, the Hall of Fame coach said she visited with doctors at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., after the end of the 2010-11 basketball season and was diagnosed with the condition during the summer.

"I plan to continue to be your coach," Summitt said. "Obviously, I realize I may have some limitations with this condition since there will be some good days and some bad days."

The 59-year-old Summitt told the newspaper she had been feeling erratic earlier this year, and plans to rely on medication and mental exercises to manage the progressive condition that could lead to Alzheimer's, which her grandmother had.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6888321/tennessee-lady-vols-pat-summitt-early-onset-dementia

Chuck58
08-23-2011, 10:34 PM
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Pat Summitt plans to coach the Tennessee women's basketball team "as long as the good Lord is willing," despite recently being diagnosed with early-onset dementia.

"There's not going to be any pity party and I'll make sure of that," she told the Knoxville News Sentinel Monday evening. The newspaper first reported Summitt's condition.

In a statement from Summitt released by the university Tuesday, the Hall of Fame coach said she visited with doctors at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., after the end of the 2010-11 basketball season and was diagnosed with the condition during the summer.

"I plan to continue to be your coach," Summitt said. "Obviously, I realize I may have some limitations with this condition since there will be some good days and some bad days."

The 59-year-old Summitt told the newspaper she had been feeling erratic earlier this year, and plans to rely on medication and mental exercises to manage the progressive condition that could lead to Alzheimer's, which her grandmother had.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6888321/tennessee-lady-vols-pat-summitt-early-onset-dementia

Dementia pugilistica. It's an insidious disease, most common in boxers but common in football and other sports where athletes receive blows to the head.

Starbuck
08-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Dementia pugilistica. It's an insidious disease, most common in boxers but common in football and other sports where athletes receive blows to the head.
I didn't find where she had been diagnosed with this particular disorder. 59 is way to young to begin dementia. Not that there is a better age; just seems like 59 is awful young.

SaintLouieWoman
08-25-2011, 01:42 PM
I didn't find where she had been diagnosed with this particular disorder. 59 is way to young to begin dementia. Not that there is a better age; just seems like 59 is awful young.

Thinking the same thing. It's very sad. There was a woman in my mom's nursing home who was strikingly attractive. She probably was the same age and would walk the halls, very anxious and obviously out of it. I felt so bad for her and her family.

It's something that can strike at all economic levels and ages, very frightening. She's in my prayers, hope they can hold it off longer. She's commendable for staying in her job as long as possible.

Chuck58
08-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Pugilistica dementia can strke at any age. Many, many boxers begin to show symptoms in their 40's. Muhammed Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson's at age 41 or 42, attributed to the head blows he received in his later fights.

I don't know that this is what she has. It sounds similar which is why I mentioned it.