PDA

View Full Version : Crafts

noworries
08-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Do you do any I enjoy scrap booking as well as needle point anyone out here like to do anything in your spare time?

SaintLouieWoman
08-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Not a crafty person, but did manage to get a large photo that I had purchased into a frame. I was sooo proud! I enjoy dabbling around with decorating without spending a fortune.

I spray painted silver a large wicker hamper that was Pier One dark brown, then put a very light metallic wash over it. Now it's unique, ditto with the matching wastebasket.

In the bathroom there were 2 large oval mirrors over the two sinks. In the middle was a large mirror that the original owner had hung. It looked nice enough, but was a 20 year old fruitwood color. It probably was a dresser mirror that she hung vertically. It looked really bad, so I also refinished that in a silvery color to match the other 2 mirros. Now it looks coordinated. All of this only cost me the price of a can of silver spray paint. It's not exactly crafty, but it's my version of it. :D

bijou
08-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I like the idea of crafts but don't really have the patience to stick to one. I do enjoy home projects eg refurbishing old furniture but only do it when I need to. I'm not very artistic either.

SaintLouieWoman
08-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I like the idea of crafts but don't really have the patience to stick to one. I do enjoy home projects eg refurbishing old furniture but only do it when I need to. I'm not very artistic either.

Way back when it was the craze to "antique" old furniture, my mom covered so much good furniture with the paint and then a glaze. She ruined everything. When she died my sister had an estate sale. We ended up donating all that furniture. I have an old, simply designed Arts and Crafts wood umbrella stand that's antiqued. I need to find someone to get all that gunk off for me. Right now it's in our garage.

Did they ever have that craze in the UK?

Hawkgirl
08-24-2011, 09:19 PM
I like ceramics (painting my own), haven't done it in a while...A new shop opened that is closer to home..but hard right now with the baby. I have a lot of things I painted at home. I also really get into gift wrapping..is that a craft? lol

SaintLouieWoman
08-24-2011, 09:26 PM
I like ceramics (painting my own), haven't done it in a while...A new shop opened that is closer to home..but hard right now with the baby. I have a lot of things I painted at home. I also really get into gift wrapping..is that a craft? lol

When she's a little older you can take her with you. My niece's little girls (age 9 and 6) love to go to those shops. In fact the older one had a birthday party there, where every kid could make their own little thing and bring it home. That little one is so talented. Can't believe my niece let her paint a wall in the powder room downstairs. The art was incredible, not like a kid's art. I'd love to post a pic of the art, but the little one is in the pics and know my niece wouldn't want me posting her pic here.

Even SR was totally impressed. I'd let her do a wall here. She got up on a ladder as she's just a little thing and so cute with her red hair.

PoliCon
08-25-2011, 01:24 AM
I worked as a floral designer during college - does that count?

linda22003
08-25-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm a very serious - and very good - knitter. I used to do needlepoint (including church kneelers), but these days it's knitting.

bijou
08-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Way back when it was the craze to "antique" old furniture, my mom covered so much good furniture with the paint and then a glaze. She ruined everything. When she died my sister had an estate sale. We ended up donating all that furniture. I have an old, simply designed Arts and Crafts wood umbrella stand that's antiqued. I need to find someone to get all that gunk off for me. Right now it's in our garage.

Did they ever have that craze in the UK?

There was a fad for using crackle glaze a while back, more recently the 'shabby chic' fake distressed furniture has been popular. I have painted second hand furniture which wasn't in good condition to give it a second lease of life. With relatively small amounts of paint used you can use expensive paint and get quite a nice effect, I don't do the distressed look because I couldn't put all that work in just to make it look damaged. :)

SaintLouieWoman
08-25-2011, 10:35 AM
There was a fad for using crackle glaze a while back, more recently the 'shabby chic' fake distressed furniture has been popular. I have painted second hand furniture which wasn't in good condition to give it a second lease of life. With relatively small amounts of paint used you can use expensive paint and get quite a nice effect, I don't do the distressed look because I couldn't put all that work in just to make it look damaged. :)

A friend paid big money to buy that distressed furniture. Everyone has their own taste, but I wouldn't invest a lot on something that probably is a passing fad.

It's a good idea to rehab second hand furniture not in good condition. But my mom took what was realtively decent mahogany furniture and put on that "antiquing", also on antique oak furniture that had been in my dad's family for many, many years.

I may have to find some expensive paint that might make my oak umbrella stand more weather resistant in put it in the outdoor entrance, which is covered. It would be useful for not bringing wet umbrellas into the house. You've got me started on a project before I have my surgery. Thanks.