PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs Resigns

fettpett
08-24-2011, 07:07 PM
http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2011/08/24/fallen-apple-steve-jobs-resigns/

Fallen Apple: Steve Jobs resigns

By Dan Primack August 24, 2011: 6:39 PM ET

The tech community tonight experienced its version of an earthquake.

Steve Jobs has resigned as chief executive officer of Apple (AAPL). The company has promoted chief operating officer Tim Cook to the position of CEO and said that Cook will join the company's board of directors. Jobs will become Apple's chairman.

Here is a copy of Jobs' resignation letter:

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple''s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple''s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

:eek::eek:

His health must be as bad as some have feared

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Well, he has been looking Jack Skellington for a while now. I don't know why anyone should be surprised. Changing the world as we know it can take it out of a guy.

Rockntractor
08-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Cook'ed Apples?:confused:

fettpett
08-24-2011, 07:21 PM
their stock dropped $22 after the announcement...guess Wall Street remembers the last time that Jobs left Apple

SarasotaRepub
08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
That's a shame as the guy was a genius but cancer doesn't care.:(

megimoo
08-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Tim Cook: Apple’s New CEO and the Most Powerful Gay Man in America

In a tragic moment for Steve Jobs, there is a bright spot: Tim Cook, who will succeed Jobs as Apple's CEO, is an incredibly thorough and detail oriented boss who has revolutionized the way computers are assembled and steadily held the confidence of Apple's employees and partners. He is also, as we reported in January, destined to become an icon for gay advancement.

As chief operating officer, Cook has been running day to day operations since Jobs's most recent medical leave began in January, deferring strategic decisions and other CEO prerogatives to Jobs. Apple's growth and stellar financial performance have continued unabated under his watch.

When Jobs resigned as Apple CEO today, he said he'd like to stay on as chairman, where he would retain substantial authority at the company.

And we're told by a well placed source that Jobs actually went into Apple headquarters all day today and attended the board meeting at which he presumably presented his letter of resignation, an indication that his health problems will not keep him from participating in key decisions.

http://gawker.com/

Sonnabend
08-25-2011, 03:22 AM
their stock dropped $22 after the announcement...guess Wall Street remembers the last time that Jobs left App

It will pick up..these things are transitory. Once Apple announces new software or new technology, that stock will rise again...the market is jittery and this is usually what happens when a CEO changes, it's a confidence thing.

linda22003
08-25-2011, 08:14 AM
And all Megi cares about is whether the new guy is gay. :rolleyes:

Novaheart
08-25-2011, 08:38 AM
their stock dropped $22 after the announcement...guess Wall Street remembers the last time that Jobs left Apple

Really simple to boost confidence. Hire a team of techies from Stanford, Taiwan, and England as well as a design consultant from Ikea. And there you have it.

I love my macs (I have several), but the basics are simple: high quality electronics (thanks Sony and others) , nitpickingly indulgent software, and Scandinavian aesthetic on the hardware.

fettpett
08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
All I was saying is that Apple has a track record of becoming a crappy company after Jobs leaves. I realize that most stocks take a dump after a CEO steps down, and there are other factors involved.

Sonnabend
08-25-2011, 09:32 AM
And all Megi cares about is whether the new guy is gay.

Linda, he can't help it. Someone stuck an eggbeater in his ears and scrambled what brain cells he had to begin with.

Novaheart
08-25-2011, 10:16 AM
[B][SIZE="3"] http://www.photovalet.com/data/comps/GFL/GFLV01P12_18.jpg

Looks nice.

txradioguy
08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
All I was saying is that Apple has a track record of becoming a crappy company after Jobs leaves. I realize that most stocks take a dump after a CEO steps down, and there are other factors involved.

From what I've read they've been grooming the COO Tim Cook for the job for awhile. And Jobs is staying on as Chairman of the Board. So he's not going to be completely gone...and neither has this been a case of a forced resignation as was the case the first time.

I think they'll be alright.

SaintLouieWoman
08-25-2011, 11:34 AM
From what I've read they've been grooming the COO Tim Cook for the job for awhile. And Jobs is staying on as Chairman of the Board. So he's not going to be completely gone...and neither has this been a case of a forced resignation as was the case the first time.

I think they'll be alright.

It might be a good buying opportunity if you have guts and money. Apple stock is priced a bit rich for me so will pass.

Odysseus
08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
And all Megi cares about is whether the new guy is gay. :rolleyes:
That was the title of the original profile piece. He ran it verbatim. Apparently, the only thing that the media cares about is that he's gay.

Looks nice.
I'm sorry that the flag that millions of Americans died for doesn't satisfy your need for validation.

linda22003
08-25-2011, 01:05 PM
That was the title of the original profile piece. He ran it verbatim. Apparently, the only thing that the media cares about is that he's gay.

Yahoo ran a piece about what you need to know about Tim Cook, and didn't include it at all. Megi chose his article BECAUSE it dwelt on his being gay. He's a real Johnny One Note on the subject. There's got to be a reason it fascinates him so much. ;)

Novaheart
08-25-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm sorry that the flag that millions of Americans died for doesn't satisfy your need for validation.

You silly. That's not a gay version of the American flag, it's an American version of the gay flag.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/571987/571987,1272393104,5/stock-photo-uk-rainbow-flag-51894745.jpg

SaintLouieWoman
08-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Yahoo ran a piece about what you need to know about Tim Cook, and didn't include it at all. Megi chose his article BECAUSE it dwelt on his being gay. He's a real Johnny One Note on the subject. There's got to be a reason it fascinates him so much. ;)
I don't think Cook's orientation has anything to do with his position at Apple. He's been doing a good job at Apple running in Jobs absence. That's all folks need to know.

Bailey
08-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Here's to wishing when the guy dies his company will go with him :D

God I hate everything apple and their fans.:mad:

Novaheart
08-25-2011, 06:59 PM

Well, you're just a ray of sunshine some days aren't you?

Apple is rather like NASA- it has affected you in positive ways that you may not recognize or credit to it.

Articulate_Ape
08-25-2011, 07:09 PM

That's why Irene is coming after YOU!

Bailey
08-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Well, you're just a ray of sunshine some days aren't you?

Apple is rather like NASA- it has affected you in positive ways that you may not recognize or credit to it.

I should say its not apple that pisses me off all that much but their slavish fanboi's that tick me the hell off, case in point my neice would rather have a Iphone4 then a droid thunderbolt that in everyway kicks that phones ass. She reminds me of that baby in the old bugs bunny cartoon that says I WANT AN EASTER EGG I WANT AN EASTER EGG.

Odysseus
08-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Yahoo ran a piece about what they wanted us to know about Cook. The gay part was in the headline. Obviously, it was important to them.

You silly. That's not a gay version of the American flag, it's an American version of the gay flag.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/571987/571987,1272393104,5/stock-photo-uk-rainbow-flag-51894745.jpg

No, it's a mockery of the American flag, meant to advance an agenda.

Hawkgirl
08-25-2011, 08:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

txradioguy
08-26-2011, 04:11 AM
It might be a good buying opportunity if you have guts and money. Apple stock is priced a bit rich for me so will pass.

Yeah if I win the lottery I'll invest in their stock. But for now $330 a share is a little rich for me.

linda22003
08-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Yahoo ran a piece about what they wanted us to know about Cook. The gay part was in the headline. Obviously, it was important to them.

Not if it was their "top stories" piece yesterday morning. If it was edited later in the day, I didn't see it.

Odysseus
08-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Not if it was their "top stories" piece yesterday morning. If it was edited later in the day, I didn't see it.

Just click on the link.

Novaheart
08-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Columbus Day

Many Italian-Americans observe Columbus Day as a celebration of their heritage, the first occasion being in New York City on October 12, 1866.[2] Columbus Day was first popularized as a holiday in the United States through the lobbying of Angelo Noce, a first generation Italian, in Denver. The first official, regular Columbus Day holiday was proclaimed by Colorado governor Jesse F. McDonald in 1905 and made a statutory holiday in 1907.[3] In April 1934, as a result of lobbying by the Knights of Columbus, Congress and President Franklin Delano Roosevelt made October 12 a federal holiday under the name Columbus Day.[3][4]

Odysseus
08-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Columbus Day

Many Italian-Americans observe Columbus Day as a celebration of their heritage, the first occasion being in New York City on October 12, 1866.[2] Columbus Day was first popularized as a holiday in the United States through the lobbying of Angelo Noce, a first generation Italian, in Denver. The first official, regular Columbus Day holiday was proclaimed by Colorado governor Jesse F. McDonald in 1905 and made a statutory holiday in 1907.[3] In April 1934, as a result of lobbying by the Knights of Columbus, Congress and President Franklin Delano Roosevelt made October 12 a federal holiday under the name Columbus Day.[3][4]

So, being gay is your heritage?

Novaheart
08-26-2011, 10:43 AM
So, being gay is your heritage?

Population groups like to keep track of their firsts. As a diverse society, even one with a somewhat unifying dominant culture, we also keep track of firsts and accomplishments are often tracked by sub-group. Colleges, clubs, towns, regions, ethnicities, genders, even left handed or right handed or the color of ones hair. Someone generally keeps track of who did what first, best, or second runner up.

I once had an acquaintance who when asked where he was from would name the town, and then add that the town was known for having more horses than people and had supplied Lee's army with horses. It always seemed like a desperate thing to brag about, but I guess when you grow up in that town a little sense of importance goes a long way towards feeling your place in the world.

You more than most seem to need to know your place in the world and use your vocation to define that place. So let's not be so simplistic, OK?

Odysseus
08-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Population groups like to keep track of their firsts. As a diverse society, even one with a somewhat unifying dominant culture, we also keep track of firsts and accomplishments are often tracked by sub-group. Colleges, clubs, towns, regions, ethnicities, genders, even left handed or right handed or the color of ones hair. Someone generally keeps track of who did what first, best, or second runner up.

I once had an acquaintance who when asked where he was from would name the town, and then add that the town was known for having more horses than people and had supplied Lee's army with horses. It always seemed like a desperate thing to brag about, but I guess when you grow up in that town a little sense of importance goes a long way towards feeling your place in the world.

You more than most seem to need to know your place in the world and use your vocation to define that place. So let's not be so simplistic, OK?

And most people outside of those subgroups tend not to care a whole lot about those firsts. The first gay CEO of Apple may be of interest to gays, but since when is Yahoo News the paper of record for gay America, and why to the rest of us have to be informed of his sexual proclivities? It's really not relevant to the stock price, now is it?

The Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name has morphed into The Love That Won't Let Anyone Else Get a Word In.

CueSi
08-26-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't think Cook's orientation has anything to do with his position at Apple. He's been doing a good job at Apple running in Jobs absence. That's all folks need to know.

And that's all I care to know. I'll continue to hate Apple (more specifically, their fanboys), even if one of mine is running the show.:D <picks up Krispy Kreme and walks out of thread>

~QC

rjas77
08-27-2011, 02:27 AM
:eek: :eek:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/26/steve-jobs-apple-photo-resignation-ceo-sick