PDA

View Full Version : Girls at risk of talking too much, scientists find

bijou
08-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Girls who talk to their friends at length about their problems could be making them worse, psychologists have warned.

By Andy Bloxham

2:22PM BST 23 Aug 2011

The scientists conducted a series of studies and found that girls hoped to feel more cared for, understood and less alone by talking things through.

However, they said it could actually lead to depression and stress.

They advised parents to try to persuade their children that there were other tactics to cope with issues than merely talking.

Four different studies were conducted including surveys and observations of nearly 2,000 children and teenagers.

Amanda Rose, associate professor of psychological sciences in the University of Missouri College of Arts and Science, who led the research, said: “Many girls are at risk for excessive problem talk, which is linked with depression and anxiety, so girls should know that talking about problems isn't the only way to cope.”

The research also confirmed the widely held view that boys think that discussing their problems is a waste of time.

Prof Rose added: “For years, popular psychologists have insisted that boys and men would like to talk about their problems but are held back by fears of embarrassment or appearing weak.

“However, when we asked young people how talking about their problems would make them feel, boys didn't express angst or distress about discussing problems any more than girls.

“Instead, boys’ responses suggest that they just don't see talking about problems to be a particularly useful activity.” ...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8718157/Girls-at-risk-of-talking-too-much-scientists-find.html

Bailey
08-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Well I know this points out the obvious but they have been talking too much for a long time now. :D

Articulate_Ape
08-25-2011, 02:28 PM
They required a study to come to this conclusion?

SaintLouieWoman
08-25-2011, 03:06 PM
They required a study to come to this conclusion?
Some people are just smart donkeys. :nono: :D :D :D :D

fettpett
08-25-2011, 04:21 PM
girls talk too much? who knew :rolleyes: :D ;)

Rockntractor
08-25-2011, 05:02 PM
It's all relative. Do we have a brown nose smiley?:confused:

Odysseus
08-26-2011, 08:58 AM
girls talk too much? who knew :rolleyes: :D ;)

Anyone who ever dated one? :D

fettpett
08-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Anyone who ever dated one? :D

I was thinking more along the lines of anyone that lived with one for more than 10 mins :cool::D

Bailey
08-26-2011, 09:58 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of anyone that lived with one for more than 10 mins :cool::D

Aint that the truth. :D

Odysseus
08-26-2011, 10:25 AM

By the time you're living with one, you've already dated her. If you don't know it by then, you're deaf.

Novaheart
08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Ever since she discovered the internet, I have worried about crazy neurotic girls sitting in closed bedrooms writing dark fan fiction poisoning the mind of my niece. I am never fully convinced that they haven't, but every now and then she will say or do something so fiercely independent of intellect or spirit that I am comforted.

Most recently, when I was nudging her to go to normal high school (I really liked high school) rather than homeschool, she looked me directly in the eye and said, "I am not going to waste my time at some (trashy urban/pop culture) high school when I could be homeschool, traveling, or moving to (my sister/her aunt's ranch near Los Angeles). It was then that I realized that she wasn't being difficult, I was being inconsistent. It had only been the year before when I told my mother (her grandmother) that I was glad she wasn't going to public high school, that it was simply too dangerous.

SaintLouieWoman
08-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Ever since she discovered the internet, I have worried about crazy neurotic girls sitting in closed bedrooms writing dark fan fiction poisoning the mind of my niece. I am never fully convinced that they haven't, but every now and then she will say or do something so fiercely independent of intellect or spirit that I am comforted.

Most recently, when I was nudging her to go to normal high school (I really liked high school) rather than homeschool, she looked me directly in the eye and said, "I am not going to waste my time at some (trashy urban/pop culture) high school when I could be homeschool, traveling, or moving to (my sister/her aunt's ranch near Los Angeles). It was then that I realized that she wasn't being difficult, I was being inconsistent. It had only been the year before when I told my mother (her grandmother) that I was glad she wasn't going to public high school, that it was simply too dangerous.

It sounds like you have a very admirable niece and think it's great as an uncle that you take an interest in her. It helps for kids to know that they have the backing and concern of their family. I really miss my only niece's two little girls back in St Louis. They are such a delight.

Elspeth
08-26-2011, 01:41 PM
The only logical conclusions from this study are:

1. Boys and girls have figured out the way adults of their gender handle problems and model themselves on it.

2. Talk and depression/anxiety are linked, but there's no causal direction, according to the study. In other words, excessive talk could be a result of depression/anxiety and not the other way around. Since it is well known that more women than men suffer from anxiety and depression, it would make sense that women talk more in the personal sphere to alleviate that depression and anxiety.

This article only addresses women talking about their problems in the private (family and friends) sphere. Men still talk far more in the public sphere.

fettpett
08-26-2011, 05:39 PM
By the time you're living with one, you've already dated her. If you don't know it by then, you're deaf.

ah, but you are forgetting Mothers, Sisters, anuts, nieces, that crazy girl next door that claims the sky is Puce. :D:D