PDA

View Full Version : Clip clop animals

Rockntractor
08-31-2011, 10:07 PM
I have two horses coming Sunday, registered Arabian mares saddle broke and ready to eat massive quantities of grass. What the hell is wrong with me?:confused:

malloc
08-31-2011, 10:11 PM
I have two horses coming Sunday, registered Arabian mares saddle broke and ready to eat massive quantities of grass. What the hell is wrong with me?:confused:

Nothing's too wrong. I mean you can always trade the pair for a good, sturdy, American Quarter Horse, right? :D

I wish I had the property to put horses on.

Rockntractor
08-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Nothing's too wrong. I mean you can always trade the pair for a good, sturdy, American Quarter Horse, right? :D

I wish I had the property to put horses on.

People are giving away horses because of the drought and $80.00 per bail hay, I wouldn't buy any horse.
Now I have to put up a shed for them and fence off more pasture. I do the stupidest crap sometimes!

SarasotaRepub
08-31-2011, 10:27 PM
We'll expect pics of the new gasbags...:D

djones520
08-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice. Horses are one of those dreams that may never be for me. I'd love to have about 20 acres, and two horses when I retired.

Rockntractor
08-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Nice. Horses are one of those dreams that may never be for me. I'd love to have about 20 acres, and two horses when I retired.

It is unbelievable to me that people are giving away registered trained animals, the drought coupled with a bad economy is taking it's toll.
I just don't know if this is a good decision, I have the land and the pasture but horses take time and money to properly care for even if they are free.

djones520
08-31-2011, 11:06 PM
It is unbelievable to me that people are giving away registered trained animals, the drought coupled with a bad economy is taking it's toll.
I just don't know if this is a good decision, I have the land and the pasture but horses take time and money to properly care for even if they are free.

Even if it's not a permanent arrangement, it's bound to be better for them now then with a family that could no longer afford to have them period.

Speedy
08-31-2011, 11:14 PM
This is my 3 year old filly, Gloria. She is green broke, still rears and crowhops when first mounted and will try to bolt sometimes if you let her have her head. She was a rescue that did not cost me a dime when I got her, but DAMN this horse can eat!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/Image21.jpg

Rockntractor
08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Even if it's not a permanent arrangement, it's bound to be better for them now then with a family that could no longer afford to have them period.

That is kind of the reasoning I'm using, I can feed them and if it turns out to be more trouble than I want, eventually hay will be cheaper and the drought will break and I could give them to someone else.

Rockntractor
08-31-2011, 11:24 PM
This is my 3 year old filly, Gloria. She is green broke, still rears and crowhops when first mounted and will try to bolt sometimes if you let her have her head. She was a rescue that did not cost me a dime when I got her, but DAMN this horse can eat!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/Image21.jpg

Two horses can eat a 1000 pound bail every week. For some reason horses like me, even shy and skittish ones. I worked in stable when I was a kid.

malloc
08-31-2011, 11:42 PM
People are giving away horses because of the drought and $80.00 per bail hay, I wouldn't buy any horse.
Now I have to put up a shed for them and fence off more pasture. I do the stupidest crap sometimes!

I wonder if the politically enforced drought in CA is contributing to the alfalfa shortage.

Even with the land and the pasture space, the vet bills alone can be overwhelming, and that's just for maintenance. My aunt has horses because my rides in some sort of group, I can't remember what it's called, but they are like marching bands, minus the instruments, but mounted with flags and stuff. They perform at rodeos. Anyway, just maintenance on the horses has been hard on her in this economy.

Rockntractor
08-31-2011, 11:46 PM
I wonder if the politically enforced drought in CA is contributing to the alfalfa shortage.

Even with the land and the pasture space, the vet bills alone can be overwhelming, and that's just for maintenance. My aunt has horses because my rides in some sort of group, I can't remember what it's called, but they are like marching bands, minus the instruments, but mounted with flags and stuff. They perform at rodeos. Anyway, just maintenance on the horses has been hard on her in this economy.

I pay 16.00 a hundred for alfalfa pellets and two years ago they were 8.00 a hundred.

A sick animal can make things go sour real fast.

malloc
09-01-2011, 03:00 AM
I pay 16.00 a hundred for alfalfa pellets and two years ago they were 8.00 a hundred.

A sick animal can make things go sour real fast.

I wonder if health or loss insurance can be put on the them, and whether or not that would be a smart move.

SarasotaRepub
09-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Blame Bu$h.
:mad::D

Good luck with them Rock.

SarasotaRepub
09-04-2011, 09:08 AM
PICS!!!! :crowds:

Rockntractor
09-04-2011, 09:15 AM
I'll soon have the hay burners, I'm getting ready to head to Muskogee to pick them up.

SarasotaRepub
09-04-2011, 09:19 AM
I'll soon have the hay burners, I'm getting ready to head to Muskogee to pick them up.

LOL!! Safe drive! :D

Rockntractor
09-04-2011, 04:19 PM
The mares were older than I wanted so I picked out this 6 year old gelding, after he is settled in I'll go get another.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/003-3.jpg

SarasotaRepub
09-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Good looking animal!!! :thumbsup:

Speedy
09-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Gorgeous animal!

Rockntractor
09-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Gorgeous animal!

Thank you! He is full of piss and vinegar too, he had an attitude I liked and you could tell he is smart.
He is very affectionate, a real people horse.

SaintLouieWoman
09-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Pretty horse. He looks like a race horse. You can tell he has attitude, looks like a winner. :)

Rockntractor
09-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Here is one in better light.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/IMAG0024.jpg

djones520
09-05-2011, 03:57 AM
You got a lot of rusted metal in your yard.

Constitutionally Speaking
09-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Arabians are stunningly beautiful horses. We had a couple growing up, very fine featured.

noworries
09-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Very pretty I always wanted a horse if only I had the funds for one

Rockntractor
09-05-2011, 09:52 PM
I made them a bigger pasture today, he took over the goat area and chased them all into the new pasture, every time they came back he chased them away again and did a happy dance.
He is an ornery shit!:D

SarasotaRepub
09-05-2011, 10:43 PM
You obviously have a racist horsey. :mad::D:D

Rockntractor
09-05-2011, 11:23 PM
You obviously have a racist horsey. :mad::D:D

He is Arabian, maybe he's a muzzie?:confused::eek:

Hawkgirl
09-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Beautiful horse.....I wouldn't know a thing about having one as a pet though....Good Luck Rock!

Rockntractor
09-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Beautiful horse.....I wouldn't know a thing about having one as a pet though....Good Luck Rock!

He I like a big sappy thousand pound dog. He has had a lot of training. on how to walk as he is being led, he never tugs on the lead.

Rockntractor
09-07-2011, 11:19 PM
I need to figure this whole saddle thing out, I like black ones, will that look right on him?

SarasotaRepub
09-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I think you need a Saddle Consultant. :D

Rockntractor
09-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I think you need a Saddle Consultant. :D

I'm thinking about getting an Aussie saddle

Rockntractor
09-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I like this one.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/aussiesaddle.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemNext&item=280735726766&autorefresh=true

Rockntractor
09-17-2011, 07:00 PM
The saddle came in today, it's in excellent it condition, I oiled it and polished it.
Next week he is off to school for two weeks with a horse trainer. At 52 years old I don't want any surprises like flying through the air, so I decided to have him worked with a little first, the lady I got him from said he hadn't been ridden that she knew of since he was saddle broke.

SarasotaRepub
09-17-2011, 08:12 PM
You are wise, my young app...I mean friend. :D