PDA

View Full Version : Just Got the Gingerbread Update

malloc
08-31-2011, 10:09 PM
I finally got my G2 upgraded to Android Gingerbread (2.3.3). I've been on-call for work since about two seconds before the update notification, so I wasn't able to do the upgrade then just in case it went awry and put my phone out of commission.

The UI changes are fantastic, the WiFi calling feature no longer freezes after a couple days of use without a reboot, and the market is vastly improved. If anyone else is waiting on updating from Froyo to Gingerbread do it!

Anyway, this update also added Google Books to the market service. I use Nook, and have been using Nook for quite a while. Has anyone here used Google Books, and if so, what was your experience?

fettpett
08-31-2011, 11:32 PM
cool, is it just a firmware update?

malloc
08-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Yeah, it's the phone OS upgrade, a big step forward.

T-Mobile originally released the G2 with 2.2 Froyo, which I bought the first sale after it came out. I've been waiting patiently for 2.3 resisting the urge to root the phone and install it myself because I haven't had to root this phone for any other reason. It makes the UI a lot prettier, and lot more functional with visual cues indicating the state of the phone. (For instance instead of "connected to network" or "not connected to network" there's a network speed indicator, and it's green if you are fully connected with Google's services and grey otherwise).

Overall, I'm really impressed with it. I think new G2x's have been shipping with 2.3 for a while.

fettpett
08-31-2011, 11:42 PM
I just started T-mobile service monday, like it so far, I have the sidekick 4G (wanted the galaxy S but they were out) still getting the hang of up, where do i go to update to gingerbread?

malloc
08-31-2011, 11:47 PM
I just started T-mobile service monday, like it so far, I have the sidekick 4G (wanted the galaxy S but they were out) still getting the hang of up, where do i go to update to gingerbread?

T-Mobile will push it to you when it's ready for you phone.

Which hang up are you talking about? The WiFi calling hangup?

Go to

Applications->Settings->About Phone->Android Version and see if you already have Android 2.3.x

If you don't, on that same menu (About Phone), click on System Updates, and see if the update is ready for your phone. If you don't get anything, or the update isn't ready, then the update isn't ready for the 4G.

On Edit: Looked it up, and it looks like T-Mobile is currently pushing a 2.2 bugfix release which may solve the problem. It's a staggered rollout, so not everyone will be getting it at the same time (they do this so their servers don't get overloaded I guess). An Android 2.3 update is on the road map, but doesn't have a release date yet.

fettpett
08-31-2011, 11:49 PM
I meant hang of it, i'm half asleep

thanks i'll look, I haven't done any updates to firmware but i'll check

fettpett
08-31-2011, 11:51 PM
looks like i'm still on 2.2.1

malloc
08-31-2011, 11:53 PM
looks like i'm still on 2.2.1

Yeah that's the "old version". It's okay though, because the new version (2.3) doesn't change how you use the phone, so once you get the hang of it, nothing much will change when T-Mobile releases the update except for performance and stability, and the icons and interface gets prettier.

fettpett
08-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Yeah that's the "old version". It's okay though, because the new version (2.3) doesn't change how you use the phone, so once you get the hang of it, nothing much will change when T-Mobile releases the update except for performance and stability, and the icons and interface gets prettier.

yeah, the phone is a bit clunky because of where some of the buttons are, but other than that i like it...still trying to figure out what some of the icons are for lol

malloc
09-01-2011, 02:58 AM
yeah, the phone is a bit clunky because of where some of the buttons are, but other than that i like it...still trying to figure out what some of the icons are for lol

Ha! You think there are lot of buttons and icons now.....wait till you find toys and games and all sorts of pass times at the market!

If you have any questions or things you can't figure out, PM me. I'm not the end-all-be-all authority on Android, but I'm a Linux Systems engineer, and a big fan on Android who's "rolled his own firmware" a couple of times in the past. Good luck, and I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Now, for the must have apps:

1.) Angry Birds.
2.) Stupid Zombies
3.) Contract Killer
4.) Robot Defense.
5.) Google talk -- If you have friends who have google IM accounts and IM apps on their cell phones, you can use this to "text" them without it counting towards your text limit if you have a text limit.

If you want to try something cool. Next time you are in your car, turn on GPS before you get to your car, and give it a few minutes to pick up the GPS satellites. Find the search bar on your desktop

Looks like this:

http://speckyboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/android_gui_33.jpg

Click on the microphone next to the search thing, and wait for to say "Speak Now". Then say, "Navigate to <Name a Place>". Then just let the phone tell you where to drive.

fettpett
09-01-2011, 09:00 AM
awesome, thanks, already got angry birds :D but i'll look into the others

Zafod
09-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Have had gingerbread on my evo for a while.

RobJohnson
09-18-2011, 01:53 AM

Don't feel bad. My smartpone made me feel realy dumb for the first few months. :D

fettpett
09-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Don't feel bad. My smartpone made me feel realy dumb for the first few months. :D

haha, I'm getting the hang of it now.

still irritated that my phone hasn't been updated to Gingerbread yet :(

Rockntractor
09-19-2011, 10:56 PM
When you update make sure you have plenty of time, everything is back to the starting point like when you got the phone. Have all your passwords and email settings ready and make a list of all your apps so you can reload them. Downloading email apps for your email providers works better than the phones built in email app.

Zafod
09-20-2011, 01:08 AM
When you update make sure you have plenty of time, everything is back to the starting point like when you got the phone. Have all your passwords and email settings ready and make a list of all your apps so you can reload them. Downloading email apps for your email providers works better than the phones built in email app.

That didn't happen to me....

Rockntractor
09-20-2011, 02:25 AM
That didn't happen to me....

what version does your phone say you have now?

Zafod
09-20-2011, 09:21 AM
what version does your phone say you have now?

Zafod
09-20-2011, 09:22 AM
It's gingerbread.

I have the evo. It's a pretty good phone. My only problem is the sms software kinda blows.

Rockntractor
09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
It's gingerbread.

I have the evo. It's a pretty good phone. My only problem is the sms software kinda blows.

I have the Merge it completely reformatted it and set everything back to default It was a 225mb update file.

fettpett
09-20-2011, 11:15 PM
It's gingerbread.

try handcent, i like it, got a few skins for it too

Zafod
09-21-2011, 11:07 PM
try handcent, i like it, got a few skins for it too

Not really the sms interface that bugs me. It's the mass delete feature or lack thereof. I found a 3rd party app to take care of 15000 texts that were clogging up the works. I do like gingerbreads feature to auto delete. Have that setup now so shouldn't be a problem anymore....