PDA

View Full Version : Ya gotta love Texas

lacarnut
09-02-2011, 02:49 PM
They always do things in a big way. Pisses some people off but being a next door neighbor, it puts a smile on my face.

Texas has adopted a new speed limit going from 80 to 85 miles per hour. Yee haw. So, driving at 100 will only get me a ticket for going 15mph over the speed limit. As an added benefit, driving this fast will decrease gas mileage and just piss of environmentalists and tree huggers that much more. Increased usage of fossil fuels will create more jobs also. Leadfoot can not wait to take a trip to Texas.

KhrushchevsShoe
09-02-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm probably not the only person who has a slight issue with this way of thinking.

Speedy
09-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm probably not the only person who has a slight issue with this way of thinking.

You are probably right.

SaintLouieWoman
09-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I lived in San Antonio Texas for 7 years. They didn't need a law about it then---they just drove that fast. :D

And I do love Texas.

Sonnabend
09-02-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm probably not the only person who has a problem with thinking.

Fixed :D

Odysseus
09-02-2011, 08:16 PM

Nope. But I'm sure that people hate being stuck behind an underpowered "smart" car whose back window is so covered with Obama stickers that you can't see them tailgating you when you drive like a myopic geriatric.

KhrushchevsShoe
09-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Nope. But I'm sure that people hate being stuck behind an underpowered "smart" car whose back window is so covered with Obama stickers that you can't see them tailgating you when you drive like a myopic geriatric.

Pretty huge difference between moping around and blazing around at ridiculously unsafe speeds because you're "only breaking the law by 15 miles per hour." How sad and pathetic is it that making a political point comes down to your perceived right to put people just trying to get around in danger.

Rockntractor
09-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Pretty huge difference between moping around and blazing around at ridiculously unsafe speeds because you're "only breaking the law by 15 miles per hour." How sad and pathetic is it that making a political point comes down to your perceived right to put people just trying to get around in danger.

At least he is in control of himself and not on whatever drug is available like you.

KhrushchevsShoe
09-02-2011, 09:29 PM
At least he is in control of himself and not on whatever drug is available like you.

I dont do drugs. But OK, if thats going to be your argument.

malloc
09-02-2011, 09:36 PM

You seriously can't be the way you are and not be on drugs, can you?

Apocalypse
09-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Actually a slower driver is far more dangerous on the road then those who are driving the speed limit, or as some others up said the current flow of the traffic at what ever speed it may be.

Slower drivers impede the progress of other cars on the road and cause accidents by not responding to the flows of traffic around them. Some staying in the passing lane opposed to the driving lane hindering traffic.

When all traffic is moving at the same speed, the chances of a serious crash are reduced. When one driver deviates from this, accidents are more likely to occur. In other words, driving too slowly actually raises the chances of a collision.

Drivers of the Autobahn regularly drive at speeds over 120 mph. And the Autobahn is one of the safest roads on the planet. Why? Because drivers of the Autobahn understand, drive a steady speed with the flow.

Speedy
09-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Actually a slower driver is far more dangerous on the road then those who are driving the speed limit, or as some others up said the current flow of the traffic at what ever speed it may be.

Slower drivers impede the progress of other cars on the road and cause accidents by not responding to the flows of traffic around them. Some staying in the passing lane opposed to the driving lane hindering traffic.

When all traffic is moving at the same speed, the chances of a serious crash are reduced. When one driver deviates from this, accidents are more likely to occur. In other words, driving too slowly actually raises the chances of a collision.

Drivers of the Autobahn regularly drive at speeds over 120 mph. And the Autobahn is one of the safest roads on the planet. Why? Because drivers of the Autobahn understand, drive a steady speed with the flow.

As a motorcycle rider, I have found that going a little above the speed of the flow of traffic is safer on a bike.

Zathras
09-02-2011, 11:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo

Odysseus
09-03-2011, 12:40 AM

Ah, the nanny state argument, that we must putter around at speeds that you consider safe for the common good. And if those speeds aren't, in fact, any safer, since they end up creating more traffic and congestion, then who are we to argue with the experts? We should just be glad to be herded along at the "right" speed like good little sheep. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
09-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Ah, the nanny state argument, that we must putter around at speeds that you consider safe for the common good. And if those speeds aren't, in fact, any safer, since they end up creating more traffic and congestion, then who are we to argue with the experts? We should just be glad to be herded along at the "right" speed like good little sheep. :rolleyes:

Yep, assholes like the Shoe think we should all be driving electric cars at 60mph. If you go any faster than that, the distance per charge dramatically decreases. How sad and pathetic it is that liberals want to tell us what to drive and how fast to drive. Plus, the government is pissing our tax dollars away with idiotic loans to electric car manufacturers like Tesla Motors that will never be paid back.

Odysseus
09-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Yep, assholes like the Shoe think we should all be driving electric cars at 60mph. If you go any faster than that, the distance per charge dramatically decreases. How sad and pathetic it is that liberals want to tell us what to drive and how fast to drive. Plus, the government is pissing our tax dollars away with idiotic loans to electric car manufacturers like Tesla Motors that will never be paid back.

Yep, but at 60 mph, they want us to ensure that we wear helmets and knee pads and encase our children in bubble wrap. And, liberals will continue to drive at whatever speeds they want, as they are speeding for our benefit. Sooner or later, there will be exemptions for every manner of government worker to break the speed limits. Remember how the pigs got all the apples and milk in Animal Farm?

The mystery of where the milk went to was soon cleared up. It was mixed every day into the pigs' mash. The early apples were now ripening, and the grass of the orchard was littered with windfalls. The animals had assumed as a matter of course that these would be shared out equally; one day, however, the order went forth that all the windfalls were to be collected and brought to the harness-room for the use of the pigs. At this some of the other animals murmured, but it was no use. All the pigs were in full agreement on this point, even Snowball and Napoleon. Squealer was sent to make the necessary explanations to the others.

"Comrades!" he cried. "You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege? Many of us actually dislike milk and apples. I dislike them myself. Our sole object in taking these
things is to preserve our health. Milk and apples (this has been proved by Science, comrades) contain substances absolutely necessary to the well-being of a pig. We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of this farm depend on us. Day and night we are watching over
your welfare. It is for YOUR sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples. Do you know what would happen if we pigs failed in our duty? Jones would come back! Yes, Jones would come back! Surely, comrades," cried Squealer almost pleadingly, skipping from side to side and whisking his tail, "surely there is no one among you who wants to see Jones come back?"

It's always for our benefit that they set themselves over us, as they always tell us.

Novaheart
09-03-2011, 11:28 AM
They always do things in a big way. Pisses some people off but being a next door neighbor, it puts a smile on my face.

Texas has adopted a new speed limit going from 80 to 85 miles per hour. Yee haw. So, driving at 100 will only get me a ticket for going 15mph over the speed limit. As an added benefit, driving this fast will decrease gas mileage and just piss of environmentalists and tree huggers that much more. Increased usage of fossil fuels will create more jobs also. Leadfoot can not wait to take a trip to Texas.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of Texans will not live near an 85MPH zone, and from personal experience this is not a new speed for I 10 in western Texas.

Still, it would be fin to go somewhere where it's legal to drive.

Novaheart
09-03-2011, 11:30 AM

I wasn't aware that speeding fell on political lines. Around here, it is often the most likely Obama voter who ignores traffic laws, especially residential speed limits.

The redneck boys (if we are to assume they are future Republicans), and the preppies (if you would like to think they are future Republicans) in Nissans and Hondas, appear to obey the traffic laws on regular streets and only go for the big tickets when engaging in illegal races on Gandy Bridge.

The jacked up Novas and Malibus that were the greaser car of my day, are now the show car of the urban black hip hop set.

Odysseus
09-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I wasn't aware that speeding fell on political lines. Around here, it is often the most likely Obama voter who ignores traffic laws, especially residential speed limits.

The redneck boys (if we are to assume they are future Republicans), and the preppies (if you would like to think they are future Republicans) in Nissans and Hondas, appear to obey the traffic laws on regular streets and only go for the big tickets when engaging in illegal races on Gandy Bridge.

The jacked up Novas and Malibus that were the greaser car of my day, are now the show car of the urban black hip hop set.

The difference is, conservatives want the law to impose minimal restrictions on liberty, and obey the laws. Liberals want the law to control behavior, and then make excuses for those who ignore the laws that they imposed on the rest of us, or exempt themselves.

CueSi
09-03-2011, 11:06 PM

And the funny thing is. . .a Prius can go 100 mph. It's "limited" to 103. (http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jul/06/local/me-prius6) I'm sure somewhere a mechanic is trying to create a workaround. . .that will probably be made illegal and modified cars will be forced into "recall". :rolleyes:

~QC

lacarnut
09-03-2011, 11:29 PM
And the funny thing is. . .a Prius can go 100 mph. It's "limited" to 103. (http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jul/06/local/me-prius6) I'm sure somewhere a mechanic is trying to create a workaround. . .that will probably be made illegal and modified cars will be forced into "recall". :rolleyes:

~QC

I can buy a Civic that goes over a 100, gets over 40mpg and is 10 thousand dollars cheaper and does not look like an inverted bathtub. Plus, it will run off and leave a Prius and it is easy to modify. BTW, a Prius going at a high rate of speed will be severely limited on how many miles it can go without a recharge.

Zafod
09-04-2011, 11:26 AM
So klulessshoe swoops in, drops a dues on the rug and flaps off.....

Zathras
09-04-2011, 01:22 PM
So klulessshoe swoops in, drops a dues on the rug and flaps off.....

What do you expect from a gutless coward? He doesn't even have the courage to defend his idiocy.

Odysseus
09-04-2011, 01:53 PM

~QC

I can buy a Civic that goes over a 100, gets over 40mpg and is 10 thousand dollars cheaper and does not look like an inverted bathtub. Plus, it will run off and leave a Prius and it is easy to modify. BTW, a Prius going at a high rate of speed will be severely limited on how many miles it can go without a recharge.

And, the acceleration from zero to 100 on a Prius is, what, an hour and a half?

KhrushchevsShoe
09-04-2011, 08:23 PM

This isnt the nanny state argument. When you are on a public road with thousands of other people you are not within your rights to exercise unlimited freedom when it comes to the speed of your car. Cars are designed to an extent to get into accidents; so there's a massive difference between hitting the minivan full of kids at 40 mph and 100 mph.

If you really want unlimited freedom to do whatever the fuck you want regardless of how it endangers the lives of those around you, you can go live in Somalia. That or be a sheep here in the USA. Your call.

lacarnut
09-04-2011, 09:20 PM

Or a hundred miles whichever comes first. :D At 103, the Prius would have to be going downhill with an 80mph wind behind it's back. :rolleyes:

Chuck58
09-04-2011, 10:49 PM
This isnt the nanny state argument. When you are on a public road with thousands of other people you are not within your rights to exercise unlimited freedom when it comes to the speed of your car. Cars are designed to an extent to get into accidents; so there's a massive difference between hitting the minivan full of kids at 40 mph and 100 mph.

If you really want unlimited freedom to do whatever the fuck you want regardless of how it endangers the lives of those around you, you can go live in Somalia. That or be a sheep here in the USA. Your call.

Or buy something besides a sardine can on wheels. You take your obamamobile, whatever the hell it is, and I'll take my Ford F 350 Super Duty. Guess who has the better chance of winning if you run into me, even at 50 mph? I might even be able to drive that Super Duty away from the wreck.

Odysseus
09-04-2011, 11:48 PM

Those aren't the only choices, now are they? I don't want unlimited freedom, I want ordered liberty, the idea that we, as a free people, can govern ourselves and make intelligent decisions about things like speed limits without being lectured to by bureaucrats who commute via metro or are driven by others. I-10 is a perfect example. We drove the length of it from San Antonio to Florida at an average speed of 80 MPH with no danger at all, in a minivan. The only times that we slowed down to the limit were when we thought that there were cops around, but everyone else was keeping the same speeds. The 55 mph limit was dreamed up by people who thought that, because they had an exalted view of their own expertise, they should get to dictate how everyone else lives, even though they have been proven wrong when every previous attempt to impose their will on the rest of us has come to grief. Don't pretend that you care about the minivan full of kids. Urban elitists loathe people who insist on driving anything larger than a Prius. As the driver of the minivan, I can tell you that my kids were perfectly safe, except when some idiot in an econo-box was blocking traffic.

djones520
09-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Or buy something besides a sardine can on wheels. You take your obamamobile, whatever the hell it is, and I'll take my Ford F 350 Super Duty. Guess who has the better chance of winning if you run into me, even at 50 mph? I might even be able to drive that Super Duty away from the wreck.

Amen. When I lived in Japan, there was a number of accidents between Americans and Japanese, leading to fatalities. The local government was getting real pissed, because it was the Japanese who were dying, not the Americans.

It was very easy to tell why. The Japanese buy tiny ass cars that are "energy efficient". The Americans would be all the big cars on the market. When a collision happened, the Japanese cars folded up like aluminum foil.

And that is why I prefer SUV's and Trucks. Because in the event there is an accident, I'll be the one who will most likely survive it.

noworries
09-07-2011, 10:20 PM
The car I had before the accident was a tank strong and I never imagined the damages it caused. But if you saw my car you should have seen the bucket of tin the girl who hit me had.

lacarnut
09-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Those aren't the only choices, now are they? I don't want unlimited freedom, I want ordered liberty, the idea that we, as a free people, can govern ourselves and make intelligent decisions about things like speed limits without being lectured to by bureaucrats who commute via metro or are driven by others. I-10 is a perfect example. We drove the length of it from San Antonio to Florida at an average speed of 80 MPH with no danger at all, in a minivan. The only times that we slowed down to the limit were when we thought that there were cops around, but everyone else was keeping the same speeds. The 55 mph limit was dreamed up by people who thought that, because they had an exalted view of their own expertise, they should get to dictate how everyone else lives, even though they have been proven wrong when every previous attempt to impose their will on the rest of us has come to grief. Don't pretend that you care about the minivan full of kids. Urban elitists loathe people who insist on driving anything larger than a Prius. As the driver of the minivan, I can tell you that my kids were perfectly safe, except when some idiot in an econo-box was blocking traffic.

I feel your pain driving thru LA on I-10. We have some terrible roads. MS, AL and FL have good interstate roads

fettpett
09-07-2011, 11:13 PM
I feel your pain driving thru LA on I-10. We have some terrible roads. MS, AL and FL have good interstate roads

can't be worse than ours here in MI...potholes the size of your car! :eek::eek:

CueSi
09-08-2011, 03:55 AM

It goes from 0-to60 in 10.1 seconds (http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0310_toyota_prius/index.html), which means it prolly takes maybe 15 seconds to get to 100. :p

Still... my mom's old-school "stealth hybrid" Accord prolly goes faster. :p

~QC

txradioguy
09-08-2011, 10:29 AM

There are stretches of I-10 between Midland and El Paso that contains nothing but Tumbleweeds and jack rabbits.

The state has raised the speed limits there to 75.

New Mexico has returned some of their highways to R&P.

Drive in D.C. and NOVA in general and get back to me on who drives unsafe and ignores traffic laws before you pass judgement on Texas.

How sad and pathetic is it that someone tries to pass judgegment on some one without being up to date on the laws in that state.

txradioguy
09-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I lived in San Antonio Texas for 7 years. They didn't need a law about it then---they just drove that fast. :D

And I do love Texas.

I can't wait to get my BMW back there and running flat out on I-10 :D

Speedy
09-08-2011, 05:50 PM
There are stretches of I-10 between Midland and El Paso that contains nothing but Tumbleweeds and jack rabbits.

I-10 does not run through Midland. That is I-20 and it runs through Ft. Worth, Abilene and Midland before merging with I-10 and running on to El Paso. I-10 runs through San Antonio and my hometown of Sonora.

txradioguy
09-09-2011, 05:00 AM
I-10 does not run through Midland. That is I-20 and it runs through Ft. Worth, Abilene and Midland before merging with I-10 and running on to El Paso. I-10 runs through San Antonio and my hometown of Sonora.

I know that...but out around Ft. Stockton where 20 and 10 merge is where I was thinking of actually. That's a long stretch of nothing beteween Marfa and El Paso

malloc
09-09-2011, 05:33 AM
It goes from 0-to60 in 10.1 seconds (http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0310_toyota_prius/index.html), which means it prolly takes maybe 15 seconds to get to 100. :p

Still... my mom's old-school "stealth hybrid" Accord prolly goes faster. :p

~QC

Nah, it takes a lot longer than that, probably 20 at least. Acceleration isn't a constant function, it's an exponential one. (i.e. the faster you are traveling, the more energy it takes to increase your speed, which means as the car moves faster, it begins to accelerate at a slower rate)

As for your other comment about modification, yes there are probably many hackers and mechanics who can modify the engine control module to remove the governance. It's like flashing your smart phone with an upgrade or upgrading the firmware on your home cable modem. There's no real mechanical intervention involved, the speed governor is all software in most cases. The legality is on a state by state basis. In Arizona, it's perfectly legal to make whatever modifications you want to your vehicle so long as the modified vehicle meets the minimum federal law and federal regulatory requirements for its model year. I think there are additional Arizona laws about exhaust noise and window tint as well. However, all of these laws are just in theory. If you don't have an illegally loud exhaust system and your car passes emissions inspections, that all you really need. Police officers don't know all the regulations and laws from every model year. If you don't pass emissions, you don't get tags, and that the only way they know your car isn't in line with federal laws.

noonwitch
09-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Speed limit of 85? Hmmm. I don't want to live in a hot place like Texas, but I do like to drive fast.

The closest thing we have is I-696. The speed limit is 70 mph, but it's our autobahn. We in metro Detroit are allegedly the scariest drivers in the world. I don't know-California drivers are crazy and Florida drivers are just plain annoying (especially on the first of the month, when Social Security checks come in the mail) . My father has become a very annoying driver since moving to Florida, and he once outdrove a tornado when I was a kid.