PDA

View Full Version : Obama: I 'Pulled America Back From The Brink'

megimoo
09-05-2011, 01:44 PM
In his Labor Day message to the nation, President Obama credits himself and his administration with having "pulled our country back from the brink" of economic disaster.

"In the last several years, we have pulled our country back from the brink, through a series of tough economic decisions," Obama writes. "While we have come far, great challenges still face us."

According to the Labor Department, the national unemployment rate stood at 7.6 percent when Obama inherited a faltering economy from George W. Bush in January 2009. Unemployment rose to 10.2 percent by October 2009, and, with the exception of February and March 2011, it has been at 9 percent or higher ever since. It was 9.1 percent in August -- a month in which the economy created no new jobs. In addition, economic growth has slowed nearly to zero, raising fears that the country is entering another recession.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/obama-i-pulled-our-country-back-brink
COMMENTS:
Yeah he pulled us back from the brink of recovery...
self centered butt muncher
>>> collective bargaining is a cornerstone of the American dream."
Yeah, it's a wet dream for the recipients. It's a nightmare for the people who have to pay the bills: the American taxpayer and consumer.
It's a small point, but even at the level of basic grammar this administration fails to get things right. The line that fails is not a throwaway; with overtones of Alice in Wonderland, the royal president proclaims he has rescued America.

"In the last several years, we have pulled our country back from the brink, through a series of tough economic decisions,"

I went to the White House publication. Yes. Obama uses the outdated "royal" we and refers to himself in the plural. "We have saved the country," says the Queen of Hearts.

There should be no comma after "brink." No doubt, the line means to say that Obama made tough decisions that saved the country. Perhaps someone realized that in the current circumstances this would be hubris of the too visible sort, and he or she tried to soften the assertion with ambiguity. The softening fails. With the comma misplaced, the sentence says, at best, that Obama first pulled the country from the brink, and, afterward, he dragged us through a series of decisions. In other words, it changes the chronology and the cause and effect.
This kind of error shows a lack of basic education and failure to...
Translation: "..we've pulled our country back from the brink of a sound economic recovery by not allowing the American spirit of independence and hard work to shine but instead, allowed my administration to alter the course of government in such a way that it will take years to undo..."
You one pretty smart fellah.
"Brink" means edge. Does anyone think we are back from the edge? Does anyone think we are skating AT the edge? We need to add this to the list of words with which the President is unfamiliar but I cut the guy a break. It would be different if english were his first language.
Obama has prevented our country from getting anywhere near the brink of economic recovery.
But recovery can be expected after the 2012 Elections with the 113th Congress and a new President in the White House.
"I" the most overused pronoun used by this President, I am so in awe of this president.

Ritchie The Riveter, I'm a somewhat-seasoned citizen ... and high-tech redneck ... who holds fast to the belief that you're never too old to rock'n'roll! My lyrics are an effort to revitalize what I consider a rare breed today ... the musician as storyteller, both seriously and humorously playing to the "theater of the mind" of the listener, taking on themes that are more substantial than "I love her, and she loves/hates me ..." You will find through my music, that the state of the Union, and where it is headed, is often on my mind ... but the musical pictures I strive to paint are not the one-dimensional broad-brushing of a partisan hack, but are textured with the twists and folds that exist in the mind of someone who has deeply thought out these subjects. My music is primarily influenced by what I grew up on: Southern Rock and C&W, with blues and folk thrown into the chili pot ... and a very healthy respect for '70's/80's classic/arena rock, which I usually leave to the experts of that genre. The name "Ritchie the Riveter" is a recycling of World War II's "Rosie the Riveter", as my day job involves designing electronic equipment for use by our Men and Women in uniform as they act to defend this nation ... and protect my right to rock'n'roll.
Pulled us back from the brink?

From what I see, we're still standing on the brink ... and the Progressives expect us to follow them over the brink, like lemmings, to their "Utopia" at the bottom of the cliff.

Not this time ...

... we won't get fooled again.
If this is being "pulled back from the brink", next time just push me over.
His understanding of economics is right up there with his ability to match subject/verb tenses in his writing.
Looking forward to the media JournoListing him back into office in 2012.
Unions time has come and gone. At least he doesn't refer to organizing as a fundamental American civil right.
do not give him and the Demoncrats any ideas
OUTLAW UNIONS!!!!!
ARREST and EXECUTE UNION LEADERS !!!!!
ARREST ALL UNION MEMBERS and CONFISCATE THEIR PROPERTY!!!!
ARREST and EXECUTE ANY POLITICIAN that TOOK UNION FUNDS !!!!!