PDA

View Full Version : Finally Pulled the Trigger

malloc
09-07-2011, 02:42 AM
There was a great deal at NewEgg on a CPU/Motherboard combo, so I finally pulled the trigger on a new system build.

I'm going to end up with a 6 core system, liquid cooled, with 8GB of RAM and 6 TB of SATA 3 disk space (3 usable w/ RAID).

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz-3.7GHz (w/ H60 Corsair water cooler).

This processor runs 6 cores at 3.2GHz usually, only when it detects that the OS isn't running several software threads, like when in a game engine, it shuts off 3 of it's cores and speeds up the remaining 3 to 3.7GHz. I'm not sure how useful this is actually going to turn out to be, but I thought it'd be neat to check it out.
I'm going to dual fan the water cooler radiator and try to overclock the living hell out of this thing! I think between my geek friends and I, we've worked down a pretty good filtered airflow pattern. I've read reviews online of guys who were able to push 4GHz with water setups, so that's my aim, so long as I keep the case air filters clean.

MSI 990FXA-GD80 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I don't know much about this board except it has all the features I want/need, and it came with the combo deal that made the CPU above a bargain. I've read it has problems until the latest BIOS update, and then it's all good once that is applied, so I'll be updating the BIOS ASAP.
My biggest wanted feature was a SATA 3 RAID 10, and this board supports it, so I guess that's good.

PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

Also on sale! I thought $40 was a pretty good deal for this. I wish it was a bit faster, but if wishes were horses......

Unfortunately the nVidia 460 series cards were still too much for my tastes, so I'm going to continue to the use 9800GTX+ superclocked one I have until the 5x series gets more widespread and the 4x series drops in price, then I'll pick up two of those and SLI them.

I'm like a lion in a cage waiting on shipping though. Internet tracking of shipping is a love/hate thing with me. Tracking the packages online is a blessing and a curse. I'm checking my newegg android app like every 2 seconds and thinking "is it here yet?", "is it here yet?", "is it here yet?". UPS online was my most visited site today! :(

I'll try to get pics of all the shiny new parts and the assembly. It should be cool.

fettpett
09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
very nice...

Ranger Rick
09-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I am looking forward to seeing it.

Zafod
09-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I used to love building machines but I dont have time for it anymore.

I have not used a computer outside of work for the past year.

My HTC Evo is all I use for anything anymore....

SarasotaRepub
09-07-2011, 08:19 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc1mBthg74PLcsbxQdOYJJHDGrlohSq gS7FS1eia32l2cPSdsOVg

:eek::D

malloc
09-07-2011, 08:30 PM
I am looking forward to seeing it.

So am I! I'm going out of my mind waiting for delivery!

I used to love building machines but I dont have time for it anymore.

I'll never buy another commercially assembled computer. I'm "in the business" as it were, and usually I'm notified about great deals by several different people all at once. I bide my time and grab the components I want as they go on sale, or as I'm told about a good deal on them. My friends and I, all of whom build our own systems, have been known to turn out gaming rigs for $1200 that out perform setups which cost over $3000 if bought from Alienware or some other "performance" computer company. It's just not economically efficient to go down to Best Buy or somewhere online and purchase a PC, and it's really not efficient to buy something from one of those gamer performance companies.

Shopping for and gathering the parts can take weeks to months to find the sales and deals, assembly takes 30 minutes so long as no fabrication or modification to the case is needed, and OS install for me takes a few hours because I have to install Windows, Linux, and restore all my backups, so it is time intensive, but it's a hobby I love.

SarasotaRepub
09-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I used to build my own systems and it does give a lot of satisfaction to know you built it yourself. I just don't need super hi performance boxes anymore.

fettpett
09-07-2011, 11:11 PM
I still build them when I have the money and want to do a from scratch build. However there is always some quirk that I end of having that annoyes the piss out of me. Current build just has a crappy CPU. When I have the extra cash, new Mobo and CPU going in.

malloc
09-08-2011, 12:19 AM
I still build them when I have the money and want to do a from scratch build. However there is always some quirk that I end of having that annoyes the piss out of me. Current build just has a crappy CPU. When I have the extra cash, new Mobo and CPU going in.

My first two builds had quirks.

1.) The machine would never power off after a shut down (This was back in the era of Windows 2000). I had to manually press the button to actually shut the machine off, even though the OS had shut down. The motherboard chipset didn't support the proper ACPI functionality Win2000 required.

2.) This one was weird. I had a board which had two onboard NICs. One of the onboard NICs had a driver which was buggy in Linux, and the other had a driver which was buggy to the point of useless in Windows. I dual booted this box between Linux and Windows! :mad: I ended up buying a PCI NIC, just so I didn't have to swap cables around every time I booted into Windows or Linux, and because the driver updates were taking too long! This was because pure laziness on my part, as I didn't look up how either NIC was supported in either OS before buying the board.

Now I know that the key is research, research, research! I've also learned not to skimp on the important things if they are necessary. I tried to get away with a 450 watt power supply on a gaming rig to save some money once, that was a bad idea.

ON EDIT: If you build another one, and run into quirks, don't hesitate to call the manufacturer! I know a lot of people, myself included on several occasion, who try to work around the problem on their own, and just end up spending a lot of time, on what might be solved by a very simple operation.

I'm not going to have that problem this time though. This CPU has enough horsepower and supports AMD-V, so that I'm going to install Windows 7 Enterprise on it, for gaming and what not, and use a VMware to virtualuze my Linux needs. 90% of what I do with a computer is done in Linux (development, even email & web), the rest is gaming on Windows. Now I won't have to reboot between doing those things. I'll just "pause" my Linux VMs and go play!

SarasotaRepub
09-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Let us all know how it turns out!

malloc
09-09-2011, 03:00 AM
All the parts are in, and here are images of all the components:

http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy153/malloc2048/NewBox/

If you guys are interested in checking them out. Hopefully I'll be able to start assembly soon! I'm performing and organizing backups soon.

SarasotaRepub
09-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Is it done yet??? :confused::D

malloc
09-13-2011, 04:29 AM
I've been a way for a while. It's put together, and it's bad ass.

The good news is that I can run windows 7 with Fallout: New Vegas on Ultra High Quality while running a Linux virtual desktop machine with 4GB of RAM and 2 full processor cores *AT THE SAME TIME*! Woohoo about that!

The bad news is that I really messed when allocating disks and lost about 500 MB worth of movies and T.V. shows that I'll now have to re-download or re-rip from DVD's. God that sucked. I would have lost all my music too if it wasn't synced to my phone. When I realized what I'd done I had that classic....."Oh, fuckberries...." feeling. If I had been at work, I could have just backed everything up to the SAN, reformatted, and gone with it. But in this conversion I had almost 1 TB of data, and was swapping two 500 MB SATA 1 drives for some 2TB SATA 3 drives, so things got all sorts of hectic.

I ran the "Windows Experience Index" thing, and every single test passed at or above 7.0 for this setup, except my disks for some reason got a 5.9. They are all SATA 3 6GB/s disks in a RAID 1, so I think the bottleneck here is the RAID controller on the box. It's some new product that came out of the AMD/ATI buyout or merger or whatever it was. I'm hoping this will improve drastically after a couple of driver releases by AMD.

The box runs ridiculously cold. I have an Antec case that has ports for 5 fans, plus the water cooler kit went in without a hitch. With the 120mm fans in the right place and the water cooler installed, the components in the case don't break a sweat. With the smart fan features on the motherboard, the fans change speeds depending upon heat levels, and so far the fans have been on low speeds and very quiet. The hard disk drives seeking have been louder than the fans.

Here's a pic of me posting this message (clickable thumbnail):

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy153/malloc2048/NewBox/th_DesktopFeatures.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy153/malloc2048/NewBox/?action=view&current=DesktopFeatures.jpg)

I'll post more pic's of some of the features later, also I might do a pic of the the install products from the inside of the case. I've got to warn you though, I don't trick these like some people do, so it doesn't look like a rice rocket from "The fast and the furious" on the inside. VirtualBox virutalization now has the ability to pass 3D graphics capability to virtutal machines, so the Compiz window manager runs just fine in my VM. I should probably do a little video showing the awesomeness that is compiz someday.

The only real problem I'm experiencing is that the network seems to be slow and unresponsive from inside the Linux VM. I'm sure it has to do with the way it's virtualized, so I'm trying different configurations to try and fix it.