PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Obama Administration to Drop Troop Levels in Iraq to 3,000

txradioguy
09-07-2011, 04:05 AM
The Obama administration has decided to drop the number of U.S. troops in Iraq at the end of the year down to 3,000, marking a major downgrade in force strength, multiple sources familiar with the inner workings and decisions on U.S. troop movements in Iraq told Fox News.

Senior commanders are said to be livid at the decision, which has already been signed off by Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.

Panetta, touring sites Tuesday in advance of the Sept. 11 10th commemoration, insisted "no decision has been made" on the number of troops to stay in Iraq.

"That obviously will be the subject of negotiations with the Iraqis and as a result of those negotiations. As I said no decision has been made of what the number will be," he said.

Currently, about 45,000 U.S. troops are stationed in Iraq. The generals on the ground had requested a reduced number of troops remaining in Iraq at the end of the year, but there was major pushback about "the cost and the political optics" of keeping that many in Iraq. The military's troop-level request was then reduced to 10,000.

Commanders said they could possibly make that work "in extremis," in other words, meaning they would be pushing it to make that number work security-wise and manpower-wise.

Now, sources confirm that the administration has pushed the Pentagon to cut the number even lower, and commanders are concerned for the safety of the U.S. troops who would remain there.

"We can't secure everybody with only 3,000 on the ground nor can we do what we need to with the Iraqis," one source said. Another source said the actual total could be as high as 5,000 when additional support personnel are included.

A senior military official said by reducing the number of troops to 3,000, the White House has effectively reduced the mission to training only.

"There is almost no room for security operations in that number; it will be almost purely a training mission," this official said. The official added that a very small number of troops within that 3,000 will be dedicated to counter-terrorism efforts, but that's not nearly what Gen. Lloyd Austin, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, wanted.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/06/sources-obama-administration-to-drop-troop-levels-in-iraq-to-3000/

djones520
09-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Just 3,000? Well, guess that means I'll never get to see Iraq. That'll be most of the air bases as well.

txradioguy
09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Just 3,000? Well, guess that means I'll never get to see Iraq. That'll be most of the air bases as well.

Well there's always Ali al Salem in Kuwait :D

AmPat
09-07-2011, 09:08 AM
3000??? Now where have I seen that number? Hmmm,,,,,, Never mind.:confused::cool:

noworries
09-07-2011, 10:11 PM
I just don't understand telling plans like that I mean you are giving those that wish our country harm more ammo :mad:

fettpett
09-07-2011, 11:15 PM
I just don't understand telling plans like that I mean you are giving those that wish our country harm more ammo :mad:

yep...pretty much, and this Admin just doesn't give a rat's ass:mad::mad:

djones520
09-08-2011, 12:04 AM
I read a story about the militaries leadership reaction to this. Their pissed. 3,000 people is to few to provide security for the assets that will be left in place. A number that low is just going to put our guys in greater danger.

noonwitch
09-09-2011, 11:38 AM
It shores up the left base for 2012. One of the things that the far left is most disappointed in Obama regarding is his failure to end the use of the US military in Iraq and Afganistan. It was one of his major issues in the primaries vs Hillary, as she had voted to support both ventures as a Senator.

SaintLouieWoman
09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I read a story about the militaries leadership reaction to this. Their pissed. 3,000 people is to few to provide security for the assets that will be left in place. A number that low is just going to put our guys in greater danger.

I honestly think that he doesn't care. It's all about saving his butt in the coming election. The military is handy for chores like going in and getting Bin Laden so O can say that "I got him". I'd like to see him in his mom jeans and a gun going in against any terrorist. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
09-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Pull them all out rather endangering the few remaining. This kind of stupidity reminds me of Black Hawk down. Limited forces like under the Somalia fiasco orchestrated by Clinton and Aspen will just wind up getting more of our boys killed in Iraq.

Chuck58
09-11-2011, 06:59 PM
He doesn't care. He's scrambling for votes and is willing to take them over the bodies of our troops. They'll just blame Bush for getting us in the mess anyway.

This decision shows that he doesn't care how he wins re-election, as long as he wins. He'll do anything to keep the White House.

DumbAss Tanker
09-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Yeah, 3K is a big enough number that it means lots of exposure, but a small enough number to also mean no security and no logistics if they're actually going to do training of the Iraqis on any scale. Damn' sure means no capability to provide an emergency strike force to back up the Iraqis if they get in over their heads.

noworries
09-12-2011, 10:32 PM
I am just worried that the ones that are left over there are going to be burning the candle at both end so much that they are more easily attacked

txradioguy
09-13-2011, 03:54 AM
I am just worried that the ones that are left over there are going to be burning the candle at both end so much that they are more easily attacked

That's exactly what will hapen.

noworries
09-13-2011, 06:02 PM
That's exactly what will hapen.

I would love to know the number of troops that have been hurt or killed because they are just to worn out to fight. It is like Obama just wants to do everything he can to ruin our military and destroy their morale