PDA

View Full Version : Best Southern Food EVARRRRRRRRR!

Hawkgirl
09-07-2011, 05:59 PM
This weekend, we tried one of the oldest (and perhaps only) remaining tea room in Atlanta that is known for great southern homestyle cooking. Mary Mac's in Atlanta, Georgia. The waitress bragged how the President and Michelle Obama stop by when they are in town (when Michelle isn't eating lettuce, that is)

Great food! I got the catfish with fried okra and squash souffle, along with fried green tomatoes for appetizer. I got my daughter chicken nuggets (the real thing) with french fries and tomatoe pie.
It was amazing...I got a pic of my dish....

http://i53.tinypic.com/vfytxe.jpg

Little Hawk
http://i56.tinypic.com/34fi7pf.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/29cwi84.jpg

Hawkgirl
09-07-2011, 06:25 PM
BTW...the little saucer to the right is called "Potlicker"...a sauce for cornbread dunkin'...very tasty, a southern staple, I am told. Potlikker is the extra broth leftover from cooking greens.

bijou
09-07-2011, 06:36 PM
That fish looks tasty. I'm not a fan of okra usually, but I'd give it a go fried, it seems like it would be drier that way.

PS Little Hawk is very cute. :)

Hawkgirl
09-07-2011, 06:49 PM
That fish looks tasty. I'm not a fan of okra usually, but I'd give it a go fried, it seems like it would be drier that way.

It's not jelly when it's fried...it's really good. The catfish was cooked perfectly, not greasy..delicate and delicious.

Bubba Dawg
09-07-2011, 09:05 PM
BTW...the little saucer to the right is called "Potlicker"...a sauce for cornbread dunkin'...very tasty, a southern staple, I am told. Potlikker is the extra broth leftover from cooking greens.

We went with a church group to a restaurant in Dillard and I asked for a dish of "pot liquor" and some of the people couldn't believe I poured it over my cornbread. :D

Bubba Dawg
09-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Fried okra is wonderful. It's the only way I will eat okra.

Hawkgirl
09-07-2011, 10:11 PM
We went with a church group to a restaurant in Dillard and I asked for a dish of "pot liquor" and some of the people couldn't believe I poured it over my cornbread. :D

What's the "official" name, pot licker, or pot liquor??:confused:

Bubba Dawg
09-07-2011, 10:21 PM
What's the "official" name, pot licker, or pot liquor??:confused:

Either one works. This is the South. As long as it's good we don't mind.

Liikker or Licker is just a spelling convention of liquor because of the way it sounds when we say it.

When I say pot liquor I always pronounce it pot likker or licker.

It's all good.

I grew up eating beans and greens and pork cooked every way and cornbread with pot licker on it.

In fact, I still eat that way. :)

lacarnut
09-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Your little girl is a cutie and the food looks pretty good also.

Going out to eat at the best Cajun seafood rest. in Baton Rouge tomorrow (Parrains). Might order the whole shebang with stuffed shrimp, catfish, gumbo, shrimp, oysters, alligator and crabfingers. Will have enough leftovers for the following day.

malloc
09-08-2011, 01:22 AM
My family is from NC, so I ate that way when I was a kid. Fried okra and catfish were definitely staples. Now, the only place that comes close to food that way out here is Mrs. Whites in downtown Phoenix.

The restaurant is great. They don't even really have a menu. They cook a few different dishes and a few different sides every day, and you don't even know what they have on until you get there. Sometimes it's pork chops with okra gumbo, sometimes it's catfish and greens...you gotta show up to find out.

noworries
09-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Everything looks great except the catfish I am very allergic to all fish and seafood that one bite would send me to the ER. Also your daughter is a cutie

RobJohnson
09-12-2011, 03:36 AM
It's not jelly when it's fried...it's really good. The catfish was cooked perfectly, not greasy..delicate and delicious.

It looks awesome!

Your daughter looks a lot like you! (cute)

noonwitch
09-12-2011, 01:57 PM
The food looks good. I love catfish. We used to have a good place here for it, but they went under when the owner got indicted.

Your little girl is very cute.

Hawkgirl
09-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone! :D

Hawkgirl
09-12-2011, 05:54 PM
It looks awesome!

Your daughter looks a lot like you! (cute)

Thanks Rob :)

noworries
09-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Quick question how much is the food there cause if it is anything like Lady and Sons Paula Deans place it is expensive. But in my opinion well worth the cost.

Hawkgirl
09-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Quick question how much is the food there cause if it is anything like Lady and Sons Paula Deans place it is expensive. But in my opinion well worth the cost.

Very Inexpensive. My meal, which include two huge pieces of fish and two side orders and cornbread...only11.95. Way too much food, enough for two meals...