PDA

View Full Version : Rahm Pops His Cork At Teachers Union President..

megimoo
09-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Teachers union president says Mayor Emanuel ‘exploded’ at her

The president of the Chicago Teachers Union says Mayor Rahm Emanuel “exploded” at her during a debate over a longer school day, pointing his finger in her face, yelling and cursing.

CTU President Karen Lewis made the allegations in a Friday morning press release detailing a complaint filed by the union to the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board over the ongoing battle between the union and City Hall.

“A couple of weeks ago I sat down with the mayor in his office to talk about how to roll out a longer school year and what components would go into making it a better school year for our students but he did not want to have that conversation,” said Lewis. “When I explained to him that a longer school day should not be used for warehousing or babysitting our youth he exploded, used profanity, pointed his finger in my face and yelled. At that point the conversation was over — soon thereafter we found ourselves subject to a full-scale propaganda war over a moot point.”

Asked for his version of the incident at an event Friday with U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Emanuel said “I’m not going to get into a he-said, she-said. ... We had a good meeting. ... She hugged me at the end of the meeting.”

However, Lewis, the CTU and its parent union, the Illinois Federation of Teachers were conspicuously absent from Friday’s event featuring key players in passing Illinois new school reform bill. All had been invited.

Duncan took the opportunity to tell a crowd of mostly officials and reporters that “teachers have been beaten down too long” and “I think we need to double the salaries for teachers... Great teachers should make $130,000, $140,000, $150,000. They shouldn’t have to wait to age 55 to make a good living. They shouldn’t have to take a vow of poverty.”

http://www.suntimes.com/7558652-417/teachers-union-president-says-mayor-emanuel-exploded-at-her.html

PoliCon
09-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Schools should NOT be used to warehouse and babysit kids. If you want to make the day or the year longer - have a valid reason for so doing. And for those who kvetch about teachers getting summers off - remember: You're complaining about having the little darlings home for 2 months - who the hell do you think is putting up with them the other 10?

megimoo
09-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Schools should NOT be used to warehouse and babysit kids. If you want to make the day or the year longer - have a valid reason for so doing. And for those who kvetch about teachers getting summers off - remember: You're complaining about having the little darlings home for 2 months - who the hell do you think is putting up with them the other 10?
You are sucking in top dollar to make your later days brighter...Where else could you make so much money with so little effort ?

Novaheart
09-09-2011, 05:28 PM
You are sucking in top dollar to make your later days brighter...Where else could you make so much money with so little effort ?

Teachers in this country, public or private make roughly $26,000 - $100,000 per year from new hires to long term survivors.

They are hardly stealing their paychecks.

fettpett
09-09-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm all for teachers making 100K+/year as long as they meet certain requirements and know how to teach effectively, and not just how to take a test, but actual critical thinking skills. And schools are allowed to get out of unions, teachers allowed not to have to join said unions, and all jobs are competitive and they get rid of seniority

Novaheart
09-09-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm all for teachers making 100K+/year as long as they meet certain requirements and know how to teach effectively, and not just how to take a test, but actual critical thinking skills. And schools are allowed to get out of unions, teachers allowed not to have to join said unions, and all jobs are competitive and they get rid of seniority

Yes, just take worker loyalty and life experience and chuck it down the hole along with collective bargaining rights.

megimoo
09-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Teachers in this country, public or private make roughly $26,000 - $100,000 per year from new hires to long term survivors.

They are hardly stealing their paychecks.Horse biscuits...You critters are the major draw on every city and towns budget in America...

fettpett
09-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes, just take worker loyalty and life experience and chuck it down the hole along with collective bargaining rights.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: if the worker is good, there is no reason for the company/school/government office to get rid of them. They are still covered under all laws governing discrimination and wrongful termination.

Novaheart
09-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Horse biscuits...You critters are the major draw on every city and towns budget in America...

Well, the fact that people breed like rats might have something to do with that.

It also might be that education is a primary function of municipal government.

It's rather like saying that police departments would be alot more affordable if they didn't have to pay people.

I'm sorry, what talent do you bring the world that you give away for free? Other than cross posting from Free Republic that is?

Novaheart
09-09-2011, 06:17 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes: if the worker is good, there is no reason for the company/school/government office to get rid of them. They are still covered under all laws governing discrimination and wrongful termination.

Have you any idea of the politics of schools? One thing collective bargaining does is give employees recourse, so the same bitch who is trying to get you fired isn't the one who get's to decide if her actions are correct.

fettpett
09-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Have you any idea of the politics of schools? One thing collective bargaining does is give employees recourse, so the same bitch who is trying to get you fired isn't the one who get's to decide if her actions are correct.

you realize that they still have those protections, whether they are unionized or not?

megimoo
09-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Well, the fact that people breed like rats might have something to do with that.

It also might be that education is a primary function of municipal government.

It's rather like saying that police departments would be alot more affordable if they didn't have to pay people.

I'm sorry, what talent do you bring the world that you give away for free? Other than cross posting from Free Republic that is?
You seem a bit hostile to people having children,have you had any ? Education is the responsibility of the parents and always has been . Governments role in education has always been spotty and poorly done.......Of late it's been taken over by big labor who's only concern is more money for the union coffers..

You have the tendency of casting off straw men as you go along...Who mentioned anything about the police as opposed to teaching ?....Their role is different and useful .....They aren't like the teachers, always crying for more money and smaller classes..I'm payed for what I do to produce more profits for the people I work for and If,unlike teachers, I fail to produce I'd be unemployed damn quick...

As for where I read the things that I post are you adverse to my posting what I've read or where I've read it ?...Have you something against certain conservative sites ? ...Would you prefer I post from Huffington or the NY Times ? ....Post what you will,as you read it and I'll do the same.....:D

Starbuck
09-10-2011, 12:28 AM

They are hardly stealing their paychecks.

The biggest problem I have with the teaching profession is their habit of demanding a retirement after 20 years. They should be treated just like everyone else and work until they have earned a retirement, either on their own or at age 65 +-.

Maybe "Rahmbo" will blow up one time too many, but I really don't think so. He's a bully and he knows when to bully. Now he has a position where he can really throw his weight around. So that's what he will do.

lacarnut
09-10-2011, 12:42 AM
you realize that they still have those protections, whether they are unionized or not?

Correct. All teachers, state employees, fireman and policeman come under civil service where I live which thank God is a right to work state. They do not need unions. It is very hard to get rid of a bad employee. You can fire them but if they go to civil service court, they will get reinstated 9 out of 10 times with back pay. I have seen it happen too many times.

AmPat
09-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Is Tiny Dancer getting upset with his trained monkeys?:confused::cool: