PDA

View Full Version : Many Afghans Shrug at 'This Event Foreigners Call 9/11'

djones520
09-11-2011, 02:33 AM
This piece here is a big reason why we are still fighting this war.

KABUL—The Sept. 11 attacks that triggered the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan also uprooted 16-year-old Abdul Ghattar from his village in war-torn Helmand province, bringing him to a desolate refugee camp on the edge of Kabul.

Yet Mr. Ghattar stared blankly when asked whether he knew about al Qaeda's strike on the U.S., launched a decade ago from Afghan soil.

"Never heard of it," he shrugged as he lined up for water at the camp's well, which serves thousands of fellow refugees. "I have no idea why the Americans are in my country."

In a nearby tent that is the camp's school, his teacher, 22-year-old Mullah Said Nabi Agha, didn't fare much better. He said he has never seen the iconic image of the Twin Towers burning. He was vaguely aware that some kind of explosion had occurred in America.

"I was a child when it happened, and now I am an adult, and the Americans are still here," Mr. Agha said. "I think the Americans did it themselves, so they could invade Afghanistan."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576556531604340742.html

Much more at the link. This is why I scoff at those who say we should just commit total war to finish this up.

These people have no clue why we are there. They don't know what happened and why we invaded. Ignorance is our biggest enemy, and it always has been. That's what we need to be fighting.

Nobody explained to them the 9/11 story—and it's hard to win the hearts and minds of the fighting-age males in Helmand if they don't even know why the foreigners are here," says Norine MacDonald, president of the International Council on Security and Development, the think tank that carried out the survey of 1,000 Afghan men in eight districts of Kandahar and Helmand. "There is a vacuum—and it's being filled by al Qaeda and Taliban propaganda claiming that we are here to destroy Islam."

txradioguy
09-11-2011, 02:46 AM
These people have no clue why we are there. They don't know what happened and why we invaded. Ignorance is our biggest enemy, and it always has been. That's what we need to be fighting.

I disagree. The ones I talked with out in rural Uruzgan Province knew...the ones in the larger cities like Kabul and Kandahar certainly know why we are there.