PDA

View Full Version : Lipstick, Pigs, and a Squad for Truth. Obama Gaffe.

Gingersnap
09-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Lipstick, Pigs, and a Squad for Truth

by Bonney Kapp

Barack Obama has been busy making the point that while McCain and Palin are peddling change, they’re really just offering more of the same. At his town hall meeting in Virginia this evening, Obama unloaded on the Republican ticket once again - adding a line that seems to have caused a stir. Even if that line is as common to politics as are the recent promises from both sides for change.

“You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig,” he said to cheers. “You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change; it’s still going to stink after 8 years. We’ve had enough of the same old thing. It’s time to bring about real change to Washington,” he added.

Before Obama’s event was even over, the McCain camp announced a conference call with reporters to address Obama’s ‘lipstick on a pig’ comments — the debut of the “Palin Truth Squad.” The squad, announced today, is described by the McCain campaign as a network that will “set the record straight against Internet and liberal smears of Governor Palin.”

Certainly being compared to a pig would constitute a smear, which is what the Squad accused Obama of really saying about Palin. But then candidates have been talking lipstick and pigs for years, the Obama campaign pointed out.

“That expression is older than my grandfather’s grandfather and it means that you can dress something up but it doesn’t change what it is,” spokesperson Jen Psaki explained in an email.

This is hitting the airwaves out here. If she hadn't used a "lipstick" reference in her speech, this would just be ordinary political backhanding. Because she did, people are saying Obama is calling her a pig and McCain a dead fish (reference to Navy).

Oink (http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/09/09/lipstick-pigs-and-a-squad-for-truth/)

LibraryLady
09-09-2008, 09:03 PM
This is a perfect example of the kind of stupid mistakes he will continue to make.

Is it me or is he trying to talk like a "good old boy"? They are showing this on Hannity and Colmes and he sounds like he never left the farm.

But to the McCain campaign, this was an example of unbridled sexism. "Sen. Obama ... uttered what I can only describe to be disgusting comments, comparing our vice presidential nominee, Sarah Palin, to a pig," former Mass. governor Jane Swift declared in a burst of outrage.

On a conference call with reporters, Swift, the newly designated chair of the "Palin Truth Squad," demanded that Obama apologize -- and said, when pressed, that he must have been talking about Palin because she is the only one of the four candidates who wears lipstick.

Swift said it was an obvious reference to Palin's convention speech line about hockey moms and pit bulls, in which Palin said the only difference was lipstick.

lacarnut
09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
This type of rhetoric will not change any voters minds but it does show that the Democraps are running scared.

Speedy
09-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Obama is now looking like the rookie politician he is. The Obama campaign is slicing him to pieces. Obama can't even turn around without fucking up. How fucking unpresidential is it to be fighting against not your opponent, but your opponent's VP that has been on the campaign trail officially for less than two weeks.

This is starting to look like the Davey Moore vs Roberto Duran fight. Davey Moore won his championship when he had less than 10 fights under his belt and his camp thought that he could take on Roberto Duran who was a former lightweight and welterweight champion, winner of over 70 fights and had handed the great Sugar Ray Leonard his ass in their first fight. I have been a boxing fan all my life and had a decent amatuer boxing career, but I never saw a champion outclassed the way Moore was that night. It was not just the frightening beating that Moore took at the hands of Duran, but the obvious difference in level and experience that became obvious from the very first bell. It was like whatever Davey Moore tried, Duran had an answer for and in the end, Moore was just floundering and being toyed with. When the knockout finally came, it was devastating, but merciful.

This is the Obama campaign against McCain now. It is almost like McCain is in charge of the Obama campaign and leading him into all of these fucks up. McCain is responding so quickly to Obama's fumbles it is almost like he sees them coming before they happen. Like recognizing that a blitz is on the way and calling an audible to a short, quick pass play.

I was very frustrated at McCain when Obama was out there, practically running away with the race, but know I wonder if it was not a tactic. Giving Obama enough rope so he could hang himself later.

I know, I went a little heavy on the sports metaphors.

antiliberal
09-09-2008, 09:25 PM
On Hannity and Colmes some moron was on saying that Nobama wasn't really talking about Palin.
How stupid do these idiots think we are???

LibraryLady
09-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Actually, Huckabee said give Zer-0 a break.

I think he was being naive.

Gingersnap
09-09-2008, 09:51 PM
It's never a good idea to ape the manners of a group you don't belong in on any level. Clinton did that with her fake drawl and fake black credentials famously.

Fred Thompson could pull off a pig/lipstick comment, Obama, not so much. He may well have meant it as a way to connect with flyover country (or his handlers did) but being so unfamiliar with the cadence of 'back home' speech, he just failed. The same would be true of a real flyover candidate who tried to use "non-citizen" or whatever. It just rings false.

LibraryLady
09-09-2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfiqdRhGNqw

Sounds like a fake Virginia accent to me.

SaintLouieWoman
09-09-2008, 09:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfiqdRhGNqw

Sounds like a fake Virginia accent to me.

I noticed it, too. But he also was trying to sound so cool. He didn't look presidential at all. Those lipstick and old fish remarks were pathetic.

And Colmes was one trying to say that Obama was INNOCENT, wasn't slamming Palin. Alan Colmes is a fool who has been drinking way too much Kool-Aid.

LibraryLady
09-09-2008, 10:01 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/Obama/Obama_kool-aid.jpg

LibraryLady
09-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Look at this DU thread. I don't want that picture in my computer

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x7007854

Other sites are calling this Obama's macaca moment.

Speedy
09-09-2008, 10:49 PM
They can't help themselves, can they?

LibraryLady
09-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Bwahahahahaha!

Obama Out For the Year?
Posted by Darrick Johnson on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:04:48 PM (http://backspin.blogtownhall.com/2008/09/09/obama_out_for_the_year.thtml)

First Tom Brady. Now, Barack Obama..

Tests on Tuesday revealed that the Illinois Senator tore his Anterior Kosiate Ligament, or AKL, and may be out for the season. Obama’s campaign had been limping since the announcement of Sarah Palin as John McCain’s vice presidential choice, but today’s “lipstick on a pig” attack revealed the true extent of the injury.

The AKL is responsible for holding the tongues of liberal politicians. It prevents candidates from veering into Daily Kos-esque personal attacks, and destructive, elitist comments. Obama’s running mate, Joe Biden, lost his AKL during a childhood bout with the chicken pox, and is prone to verbal gaffes and personal attacks, like the one Obama made today.

One Obama official, who refused to be named, suggested he may have to be taken off the campaign trail. “I knew something was seriously wrong when Keith Olbermann let out a girlish shriek after the Palin acceptance speech…I’m not surpised at all.” Another staffer suggested it was in Obama’s best interest to take him off the ticket. “Barack has to look past this election…he has a promising career as a serial autobiographer that he’s putting in jeopardy if he stays on the stump with the injury.”

PoliCon
09-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Obama knows all about lipstick on pigs. He's had to put it on Biden more than once now that he picked him as a running mate.

antiliberal
09-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Look at this DU thread. I don't want that picture in my computer

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x7007854

Other sites are calling this Obama's macaca moment.

Those people make me sick.

LibraryLady
09-09-2008, 11:40 PM
It's kind of mellow here but there are a lot of conservative sites that are really going ballistic over this.

I think he really stepped in it. Sure will endear him to undecided Hillary supporters!

I wish one of our PUMAs was here to comment.

PoliCon
09-09-2008, 11:47 PM
I hope and pray that they spread that around the net.

Lager
09-09-2008, 11:48 PM
We ought to thank DU. They've already been mentioned by name in the media in reference to the Ebay thing. This picture shows that the far left took Obama's comment the same way we did. Their actions reinforce the feeling that he meant it to be an insult. It would be so fun if Obama's campaign accepted their paltry donations and all these posts surfaced afterwards.

lacarnut
09-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Bwahahahahaha!

Obama Out For the Year?
Posted by Darrick Johnson on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:04:48 PM (http://backspin.blogtownhall.com/2008/09/09/obama_out_for_the_year.thtml)

The best thing these two clowns, Obama & Joe, could do would to be incapacitated with 2 broken legs for the next two months. They might get the sympathy vote; that's their only shot at winning. The race card is coming next.