PDA

View Full Version : you want to lose weight and get strong?

Zafod
09-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Then you need to dead lift.

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/deadlift.htm

SaintLouieWoman
09-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Then you need to dead lift.

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/deadlift.htm
No, I don't, would really mess up my back. Light weights are fine with me.

Zafod
09-13-2011, 01:47 PM
No, I don't, would really mess up my back. Light weights are fine with me.

you have never done it.

You keep buying into the myth that it will hurt your back when there is not proof.

Im not talking about dead lifting heavy. You can dead lift light weight, dumbells even.....

Wei Wu Wei
09-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't know, I don't want to hurt my knees

Zafod
09-13-2011, 01:59 PM

ummm you wont.

dead lifting is the most basic movement. Ever pick up a box? lol

Articulate_Ape
09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
That idea resembles work. I think I'll stick to my get fat and die weak plan, it seems to be working.

SaintLouieWoman
09-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Same here. I'm having knee surgery next month and don't want to take out my knees before the surgery. That cortisone shot I had a few weeks ago is making me feel fine, but want to survive til the surgery. :D

Zafod
09-13-2011, 07:12 PM
a proper dead lift doesnt work the knees any harder than any other joint involved with picking somthing up off the floor... good grief.

dont dead lift, and complain about being weak.

SarasotaRepub
09-13-2011, 11:04 PM
What a bunch of babies, right Zaf???? :mad::D

Zafod
09-13-2011, 11:45 PM
What a bunch of babies, right Zaf???? :mad::D

I don't understand where people get this uneducated information about lifting... Squats do not break your knees. You people realize that Olympic power cleans involve a dead lift as the first motion and involve a full front squat as the second motion? they don't have bad knees....I wonder why?

Fact, dead lifts will not kill your knees.

MountainMan
09-14-2011, 01:21 AM
I can't deadlift either since I cant find a manskirt to fit me correctly..... :D

Zafod
09-14-2011, 08:44 AM
I can't deadlift either since I cant find a manskirt to fit me correctly..... :D

Nice one.

noonwitch
09-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Weights and all that are new to me. I've added a few things to my workout over the past few months. I swim for 35-40 minutes. That is the core of my working out, because I like it and it makes my arthritis feel better.

I added 10 minutes on the bike (which is 20 this week, because the pool is closed for cleaning). Then I added 20 back stretches, 20 abdominal crunches and 15-20 of the upper arm weights. I'm trying to add one new weight machine to my workout a month. I haven't tried just lifting weights, though, I've used the machines at the gym. I added 5 lifts to each while the pool is closed and will revert back to 15 minutes on the bike when the pool reopens, instead of the previous 10 minute level.

I will add something new Friday, when one of my friends will be there and can help me figure out which one to add next.

I'm down another size since I added the bike and weights to my swim on 3 days a week (3 days are usually just swimming, except this week).

Zafod
09-14-2011, 03:03 PM
dead lifting dumbells is a perfect way to start

Tipsycatlover
09-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Whatever exercise you do for the back, make sure that your abs are in good shape or you WILL screw up your back. You need those abdominal muscles to protect your spine.