PDA

View Full Version : The EPA’s Most-Wanted List

megimoo
09-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Everyone knows about the FBI’s famous “Ten Most Wanted” list. The current roster includes murderers, racketeers, kidnappers, drug smugglers, and armed robbers — criminals who represent real dangers to society.

But did you know that the Environmental Protection Agency also has its own FBI-type list of 18 most-wanted environmental fugitives?

Their menacing violations include “multiple counts for the blending of motor fuel” (oh my!), selling “R-12 Freon, an ozone depleting substance” (gadzooks!), importing “automobiles that did not meet” U.S. emissions standards (horrors!), giving “indications that the oil-content monitor downstream of the [freighter] vessel’s oily-water separator had been bypassed” (heavens to Betsy!) and aiding and abetting “false entries into an Oil Record Book” (bring out the guillotine!).

The EPA website presents the entire list of these wily, dangerous criminals, complete with downloadable “Wanted Posters.” (I kid you not.) And the EPA website warns: “Do not attempt to apprehend any of these individuals.” My goodness — one of them might spray you with Freon or put a false entry in the maintenance records you keep for your car on how often you change the oil.

The Heritage Foundation has an entire project on overcriminalization, the alarming trend in Congress to try to use criminal law to solve every problem, punish every mistake, and generally coerce Americans into conforming their behavior to satisfy liberal social-engineering objectives.

Criminal law is supposed to be used to punish dangerous conduct deserving of the greatest, most substantial punishment.

For less serious, less dangerous activities, we’re supposed to use civil penalties. Especially disturbing is the way in which Congress has, over the years, given federal regulatory agencies such as the EPA the ability to criminalize conduct through regulations.

Only Congress should have the power to determine what type of intentional and knowingly wrongful conduct is deserving of criminal, as opposed to civil, punishment, and criminal punishment should be the exception rather than the norm.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/277517/epa-s-most-wanted-list-hans-von-spakovsky

Elspeth
09-27-2011, 03:17 PM
OMG it's for real!

I thought this was some kind of joke. Are they serious?

noonwitch
09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
If you read through the listings, some of these guys have been charged with serious crimes. One was charged with laundering money, in addition to the environmental charges.

All of them are legally fugitives, because they have either not shown up for sentencing (the first one) or because they have not appeared for arraignment.

Madisonian
09-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Damn, I just scored 4 cans of real Freon R-12 at an auction last week and was looking to off them soon.

txradioguy
09-28-2011, 08:29 AM
OMG it's for real!

I thought this was some kind of joke. Are they serious?

Sadly it's no joke and yes they are very serious.

Unless this kind of crap is stopped...giving your kids french fries in their Happy Meal will be considered child abuse.

txradioguy
09-28-2011, 08:30 AM
If you read through the listings, some of these guys have been charged with serious crimes. One was charged with laundering money, in addition to the environmental charges.

All of them are legally fugitives, because they have either not shown up for sentencing (the first one) or because they have not appeared for arraignment.

It doesn't bother you even in the least that this is the EPA doing this?

noonwitch
09-28-2011, 08:49 AM
It doesn't bother you even in the least that this is the EPA doing this?

No, because all of them have criminal charges pending, thus warrants for their arrest issued by legitimate courts. One of them was convicted and skipped out before sentencing-he's a criminal. The others have been charged with crimes and did not show up for their hearings.

txradioguy
09-28-2011, 09:20 AM
No, because all of them have criminal charges pending, thus warrants for their arrest issued by legitimate courts. One of them was convicted and skipped out before sentencing-he's a criminal. The others have been charged with crimes and did not show up for their hearings.

Show me where and what exactly are the EPA's law enforcement powers to make this kind of call much less the right to come up with their own "Most Wanted" list.

If they feel there was a criminal act...they are supposed to refer the case to the FBI or proper state law enforcement agency. Not take the law into their own hands.

This is akin to the FDA issuing an arrest warrant for a restraunt violating the NYC salt ban.

Maybe you'll think different when you're hit with a fine or criminal charges from the EPA for excessive emissions from your lawn mower or not using the current "green" approves insulation in your house.

You Libs only care about the intrusion of Federal Agencies and their over reach of power when it's suddenly your doorstep that they are at.

Until then Libs react like you do...cheer the power grab.

:rolleyes:

Zathras
09-28-2011, 09:46 AM

It's not the EPA's job to enforce criminal laws. That's why we have police and sheriff departments and the FBI.

noonwitch
09-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Show me where and what exactly are the EPA's law enforcement powers to make this kind of call much less the right to come up with their own "Most Wanted" list.

If they feel there was a criminal act...they are supposed to refer the case to the FBI or proper state law enforcement agency. Not take the law into their own hands.

This is akin to the FDA issuing an arrest warrant for a restraunt violating the NYC salt ban.

Maybe you'll think different when you're hit with a fine or criminal charges from the EPA for excessive emissions from your lawn mower or not using the current "green" approves insulation in your house.

You Libs only care about the intrusion of Federal Agencies and their over reach of power when it's suddenly your doorstep that they are at.

Until then Libs react like you do...cheer the power grab.

:rolleyes:

The EPA investigates and the US attorney's prosecute in court.

Of course I don't have a problem with this, I'm a government baby snatcher.