PDA

View Full Version : While driving into town (we live in a rural area) with my son

Junebug68
06-08-2008, 05:45 PM
They're so touchy! Just can't wait to be offended.

asjr (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 04:48 PM
Original message
While driving into town (we live in a rural area) with my son
today, we passed the local skating rink. Now that school is out they have added more hours. But what absolutely flabbergasted me was the sign on the marquee. "Christian Skate Night" and gave the hours. I don't remember the hours I was in such shock. I am going to call them and ask which nights Muslims and Jews can skate. Will they have a bouncer if a muslim or Jew tries to get in? I know that I live in TN and fundamentals have a strong hold on most people here, but that just takes the cake.

Does anyone else here fail to see the problem with a private business having a Christian Skate Night?

RedCappedBandit (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 04:50 PM
Response to Original message
1. Wow
Pathetic.

YEBBA (989 posts) Sun Jun-08-08 04:52 PM
4. MY LOCAL RINK HAS A CHRISTIAN NIGHT
WHAT A PUKE

THEY ARE SO AFRAID OF OTHER IDEAS.

????? :confused:

patrice (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 04:53 PM
6. That's what churches have become, One Stop Shopping Social Clubs,mutual flattery societies,"misfits"
need not apply. And if a Misfit does get in, s/he will be counseled to enlist in the Military, if they're young enough.

There's some common sense in there, but overall people are disgusted by the idea that Christians skate. How dare they! :rolleyes:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3407327

MrsSmith
06-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Christian skate nights are popular here, too. It generally means that the music being played is either Christian, or at the least, family-friendly. It's safe to bring young kids, they won't go home talking rap-trash. I'm sure the idea that some "fundies" actually raise kids that don't drop the F bomb or any other "bombs" is completely offensive to the DUmpMonkeys. :rolleyes:

Just for the record, no one carries "Christian ID cards," no one checks off your church affliation at the door, and no one really cares who comes...so long as they keep a clean mouth and dress in such a way that no "private parts" become public.

InspiredHome
06-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Well it's an idea in the works under Rove's new leadership... :D

BSR
06-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Christian skate nights are popular here, too. It generally means that the music being played is either Christian, or at the least, family-friendly. It's safe to bring young kids, they won't go home talking rap-trash. I'm sure the idea that some "fundies" actually raise kids that don't drop the F bomb or any other "bombs" is completely offensive to the DUmpMonkeys. :rolleyes:

Just for the record, no one carries "Christian ID cards," no one checks off your church affliation at the door, and no one really cares who comes...so long as they keep a clean mouth and dress in such a way that no "private parts" become public.

you havent gotten your Christian ID card yet? You need to talk to your VRWC chapter C.O. its a requirement to get your VRWC checks cashed. You need your VRWC membership AND now your Christian ID to cash your paycheck.

Gingersnap
06-09-2008, 10:26 AM
This is nuts.

Skating rinks run all kinds of special events: seniors, teens, couples, etc. "Christian Skate" just uses popular Christian pop and rock for the music and enforces the rules against groping and dirty dancing. That's it.

If the rink was located in Dearborn, I'm sure they'd have "Muslim Skate" with popular Muslim music and some kind of dress code for women. It's about the demographics, not indoctrination. :rolleyes:

LibraryLady
06-09-2008, 10:40 AM
To be fair, a lot of DUers get it:

dmordue (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 05:04 PM
11. Anyone can come it means they play christian rock instead of other fare
Dark (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 05:19 PM
15. So what? It's a private business, and it's catering to a group of clientele.

Prisoner_Number_Six (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 05:20 PM
16. It sounds like that really frightens you for some reason.
A church group no doubt reserved the rink and paid for it.
BerryBush (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 08:21 PM
Response to Reply #20
23. I really do think it just means they play Christian music.
I don't think they could legally prohibit anyone who wasn't Christian from using the rink that night! I think it's just that, well, chances are if they play only Christian music that night, chances are they're going to attract more Christians than non-Christians. I'm sure that if someone went up to the door and said "I'm not Christian, can I still skate?" they'd say "Sure, pay the money and you're in."

Of course, there are probably a lot of Christians who'd stay away on those nights because they're not into the whole "Christian music" thing.

linda22003
06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
[SIZE="2"]Christian skate nights are popular here, too. It generally means that the music being played is either Christian, or at the least, family-friendly.

It's really just walking on frozen water. :)

enslaved1
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
If the sign did say Muslim Skate night, the DUmp would be praising the place for their multiculturalism. Since it's Christian, it therefore must be attacked.

Eyelids
06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Its roller skating without the fun!

or ice skating. whatever.

FDK
06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I only skate on Wiccan Skating Night. :D (That should tell you how much I skate.)

DUmiies are always one the lookout for a reason to be offended or depressed. If it weren't this it would be something else to bitch and whine about.

BSR
06-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I only skate on Wiccan Skating Night. :D (That should tell you how much I skate.)

DUmiies are always one the lookout for a reason to be offended or depressed. If it weren't this it would be something else to bitch and whine about.

Such as Ralph's thread about the tornado alarm? Their predictablity is boring..

Space Gravy
06-09-2008, 04:59 PM
People still roller skate? I'm shocked. Maybe they have an air hockey table too.

Goldwater
06-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I myself am quite partial to nude skating night. You clothed people should be put in your place.

MrsSmith
06-09-2008, 06:38 PM
you havent gotten your Christian ID card yet? You need to talk to your VRWC chapter C.O. its a requirement to get your VRWC checks cashed. You need your VRWC membership AND now your Christian ID to cash your paycheck.

Of course I got it...I just don't carry it when I'm skating! :D

LibraryLady
06-09-2008, 06:40 PM
I myself am quite partial to nude skating night. You clothed people should be put in your place.

That's an offshoot of Christian skating night - it's called Garden of Eden Midnight Madness..:D

SarasotaRepub
06-09-2008, 07:18 PM
I only go skating on Death Star night. :D

Zeus
06-09-2008, 07:35 PM

In these parts all the churches sponsor some kind of get together. There is a Christian house of Prayer Church(called the CHOP SHOP even by some members). They sponsor a majority of the summer activities like swimming, rollerskating, Bike riding both trail & BMX, night at thew movies etc etc. The Local Businesses aren't scared to mention churches and whatnot in their sponsorship ads. None of the acclaimed religious rivalry you here so much about. Good natured kidding of course but us Lutherans need to be careful because we are a minority among st all the Catholics & Baptists around here. Must be about 15 or so different flavors of baptist churches in this little town. God is invited to the schools,football games & graduation. Nobody has been forcibly converted, yet ;)

Zathras
06-09-2008, 08:46 PM

Must be "interesting" when the rebels do their "flyovers".

LibraryLady
06-09-2008, 09:08 PM

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/Sara%20vader/848195483_f1d8e06145_o.jpg

MrsSmith
06-09-2008, 10:36 PM

I think I could enjoy watching that. It's probably the only night when people jump up faster than they fall down.

LibraryLady
06-10-2008, 09:09 AM

You didn't comment on the last one so I will pick at you again!
You skate at:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/Sara%20vader/vader-2.jpg

Full-Auto
06-10-2008, 10:52 AM
I've been trying to organize a drunken, orgy, heavy metal, womanizing, dog kicking Skate Night lately. I've had very little support. The darn Christians have all the fun with their good morals and clean living. Drives me crazy. Who wants these do-gooders in their town anyway?

I want my kids exposed to drugs, rock and roll, alcohol, sex, and violence... it builds character. It's my right as a progressive father to demand these Christians leave my kids alone!

Idiots.

Zeus
06-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I've been trying to organize a drunken, orgy, heavy metal, womanizing, dog kicking Skate Night lately. I've had very little support.

Aren't those called Gwar concerts ? :rolleyes:

linda22003
06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I've been trying to organize a drunken, orgy, heavy metal, womanizing, dog kicking Skate Night lately.

All the other stuff aside, I would think that womanizing on skates would be dangerous, as well as beyond most people's skills in flexibility and balance.

enslaved1
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Aren't those called Gwar concerts ? :rolleyes:

GWAR on ice! Quick, someone call Sleazy P. Martini! They'll make another fortune. :D

jinxmchue
06-10-2008, 02:05 PM
To be fair, a lot of DUers get it:

And alternatively, a lot of them don't:

RedCappedBandit Donating Member (1000+ posts)
Sun Jun-08-08 04:50 PM
1. Wow

Pathetic.

Vincardog Donating Member (1000+ posts)
Sun Jun-08-08 04:51 PM
2. Ask if they will have a PAGAN Sate night?

YEBBA Donating Member (993 posts)
Sun Jun-08-08 04:52 PM
4. MY LOCAL RINK HAS A CHRISTIAN NIGHT

WHAT A PUKE

: puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: :puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: : puke: : puke:

THEY ARE SO AFRAID OF OTHER IDEAS.

patrice Donating Member (1000+ posts)
Sun Jun-08-08 04:53 PM
6. That's what churches have become, One Stop Shopping Social Clubs,mutual flattery societies,"misfits"

need not apply. And if a Misfit does get in, s/he will be counseled to enlist in the Military, if they're young enough.

Idealist Hippie Donating Member (1000+ posts)
Sun Jun-08-08 05:28 PM
17. Wonder if they have separate drinking fountains? & non-Xians have to come in the back door maybe?

liberal N proud (1000+ posts)
Sun Jun-08-08 05:35 PM
20. Many skate rinks have Christian Skate nights

Not sure what is different from any other night but it is a scheme to get the bible bangers into the rink and spend some money there.

And a big ol' "f you" to you, too, DUmp monkeys.

LibraryLady
06-11-2008, 03:39 PM
This will really thrill them (see purple box)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/magicSprings.jpg