PDA

View Full Version : Whopping new tolls take effect on New Jersey-New York roadways

megimoo
09-19-2011, 01:49 PM
How's this for a deal -- $12 for a ticket to New York City! .......But there's a catch: the fare is for drivers entering Gotham via bridges and tunnels from New Jersey, and it's the wallet-busting toll that replaced the $8 fare over the weekend despite a last-ditch attempt by the Automobile Association of America (AAA) to block it. ...,The new toll affects two tunnels and four bridges: Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, George Washington Bridge, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing. There are ways to lessen the sticker shock -- E-ZPass holders pay less, for instance

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/09/whopping-new-tolls-take-effect-on-new-jersey-new-york-roadways.html

Novaheart
09-19-2011, 01:54 PM
So would anyone object to the people of New Jersey breaking the gates on the bridges and refusing to pay the toll?

noonwitch
09-19-2011, 02:46 PM
It's $4.00 to use either the Ambassador Bridge or the Detroit/Windsor tunnel to cross to Canada from Detroit. The Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron is $3.00, and I think the Mackinac Bridge is also $3.00.

They have lower rates that daily commuters can take advantage of, though. I don't know too many people who commute across the border, since 9-11. It used to be really easy to go to Windsor for lunch, now you need either a passport or a special Michigan driver's license.

Articulate_Ape
09-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I personally don't have a problem with tolls for highways and bridges provided the receipts are strictly used for the maintenance and operation of same. I really can't think of a more fair way to support such infrastructure than charging the people that actually use it. It sure beat the feds taxing folks in NJ for a highway or bridge in California and vice versa. The problem at the moment is that both are in place.

djones520
09-19-2011, 03:13 PM
I personally don't have a problem with tolls for highways and bridges provided the receipts are strictly used for the maintenance and operation of same. I really can't think of a more fair way to support such infrastructure than charging the people that actually use it. It sure beat the feds taxing folks in NJ for a highway or bridge in California and vice versa. The problem at the moment is that both are in place.

I agree, but $12 is a bit excessive. If your a commuter, that's a good grip extra your paying each week. Certainly not going to be all to helpful with the state of the economy today.

Articulate_Ape
09-19-2011, 03:24 PM
I agree, but $12 is a bit excessive. If your a commuter, that's a good grip extra your paying each week. Certainly not going to be all to helpful with the state of the economy today.

Perhaps, but it is only excessive in that commuters are also being taxed to support roads and bridges they may never see. I will add that there are other ways to get into the city.

SarasotaRepub
09-19-2011, 07:48 PM
When I lived in Jersey I used the Goethals, Bayonne and Outerbridge Crossings on a regular basis mostly to visit relatives and go shopping. Don't miss it!!! :D

SaintLouieWoman
09-19-2011, 07:52 PM
In the St Louis area, the bridges are free. Don't mind paying the $1 fee for taking the Skyway bridge from Manatee County to Tampa. It's a long bridge and causeway and a beautiful little trip.

Novaheart
09-19-2011, 08:27 PM

The problem I see with that reasoning is that transportation funds are collected at the federal level to maintain critical roadways, which are paths of commerce. Sure, Blue State gasoline taxes prop up red state highways (had to toss a little politics in it) but those red state highways help to transport products from ports to people and producers to ports. So if California is paying part of the expenses of Kansas, we need to consider that the cars built in Oakland are delivered to Overland Park and points east.

I think it's elitist to charge to get into a city, but not to get out of it.

Articulate_Ape
09-20-2011, 01:05 PM
I think it's elitist to charge to get into a city, but not to get out of it.

Yes, but one has to factor in that you're stupid when taking into consideration anything that you think.

NJCardFan
09-20-2011, 04:01 PM

And don't forget we're taxed to death already in this state Ape. When I tell people what property taxes are here, especially with new houses, they can't believe it. Personally, I believe that things like tolls and beach tags should be for out of state people only.

Articulate_Ape
09-20-2011, 04:19 PM
And don't forget we're taxed to death already in this state Ape. When I tell people what property taxes are here, especially with new houses, they can't believe it. Personally, I believe that things like tolls and beach tags should be for out of state people only.

I disagree, NJ, but keep in mind that my support of tolls is predicated on them being used in lieu of taxes, and we both know that ain't the case. Therefore, I see it as just another double dip that our state is so well known for.

Bailey
09-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I disagree, NJ, but keep in mind that my support of tolls is predicated on them being used in lieu of taxes, and we both know that ain't the case. Therefore, I see it as just another double dip that our state is so well known for.

Try being an truck driver and having to pay to go to new york :(

lacarnut
09-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Yes, but one has to factor in that you're stupid when taking into consideration anything that you think.

Plus 1:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::smileyworship: