09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
"Stop slacking and get on with it."
A slogan worth repeating....:)

fettpett
09-20-2011, 11:27 PM
very cool

Novaheart
09-21-2011, 01:01 AM
At what point do your accomplishments stand as evidence that there really isn't all that much wrong with you?

I don't mean to be harsh, but they have so widely expanded the definition of autism that the current claim of percentages is simply outrageous. Most of these people seem to be people that when I was a child would have simply been considered a little slow or odd, but that teachers and parents would have worked with as they do now to build a good and productive person.

This guy has accomplished something few people set their mind to and complete. He is to be applauded, but if as his mother said, "He can do anything." isn't that contrary to the designation that he's disabled?

MountainMan
09-21-2011, 01:08 AM
At what point do your accomplishments stand as evidence that there really isn't all that much wrong with you?

I don't mean to be harsh, but they have so widely expanded the definition of autism that the current claim of percentages is simply outrageous. Most of these people seem to be people that when I was a child would have simply been considered a little slow or odd, but that teachers and parents would have worked with as they do now to build a good and productive person.

This guy has accomplished something few people set their mind to and complete. He is to be applauded, but if as his mother said, "He can do anything." isn't that contrary to the designation that he's disabled?

Or maybe he is just one of those extraordinary autistic kids who used scouts to focus on getting over his autistic needs.

Now I will agree with you that there has been an overreach by educators, lawyers and medical professionals to expand the definition of autism for their own personal gain. However, in that video, you can tell he is autistic at some level and to overcome that in scouting is a major accomplishment.

Apocalypse
09-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I just looked up the badges. I don't think I could do some of them. Wow.

Nuclear Science (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Nuclear_Science)

Aviation (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Aviation)

Entrepreneurship (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Entrepreneurship) <-- Has to start his own business that is successful.

Whitewater (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Whitewater) <-- Has to take a whitewater ride.

But I find it interesting.

Says he earned all 132 badges. Boyscouts only list 131. Wonder if its a mistake, or what that last one is.

fettpett
09-21-2011, 01:28 PM

he probably has Asperger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperberger%27s_syndrome)'s. the Autism spectrum is very wide and includes very high functioning of Asperger's to the atypical "autism" and "Rainman" types.

kieralasion
09-30-2011, 11:57 PM
First let me apologize from bringing this back from last week, but I wanted to comment and created an account just for more information. I am Nathan's oldest sister so I can answer your questions. We are roughly 10 years apart I was fourteen when he was diagnosed.

he probably has Asperger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperberger%27s_syndrome)'s. the Autism spectrum is very wide and includes very high functioning of Asperger's to the atypical "autism" and "Rainman" types.

Yes, he earned all the merit badges, he has accomplished a lot. But... It hasn't changed his social awkwardness, his new found "fame" hasn't made the girls line up to date the weird kid. The film crew had over an hour of footage, unfortunately most of that had to be cut because he is indeed very autistic.

I would also like to point out that he is nearly 18 and not part of the inflated percentages. He was diagnosed at three. He first learned to talk by repeating movies. He didn't understand what he was saying or the movie meant, but if you followed the movie dialog with him he would get excited. He would rewind our movie (VCR days) over and over to learn the words and memorize them. He couldn't have an actual conversation with more than five word exchanges until he was ten or twelve. At his diagnoses he was classified at moderate on the spectrum. If he were tested today he would come across as mild. He is not Asperger's.

As for my mother's statement, "He can do anything." Well, he do anything he is in charge of. He can't hang out with his friends after school because he doesn't have any. He isn't planning a date with his girlfriend because he doesn't have one. He can do anything he wants to accomplish alone. But he hasn't been able to truly overcome the social barriers of autism to be the happy normal teen he wants to be.

Entrepreneurship (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Entrepreneurship) <-- Has to start his own business that is successful.

But I find it interesting.

Says he earned all 132 badges. Boyscouts only list 131. Wonder if its a mistake, or what that last one is.

Yes for Entrepreneurship he started a dog walking business. He continues to run this business.

As for the 131 listed. The Boy Scouts are constantly changing and updating merit badges. There are actually not 131 currently available because several of the heritage badges released last year only (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/2010_Historic_Merit_Badge_Program) and are no longer achievable. Because the flux in available the Boy Scouts do not have a set number of badges, but a list of possible badges (http://www.meritbadgeknot.com/registry.htm)and that is currently 131.
His 132nd badge comes from a revision of a previous badge. The Boy Scouts had major revisions to the auto mechanic merit badge that made it much easier and released it as auto maintenance. Nathan had earned the original badge early in his scout career and approached the local council and asked permission to complete the new requirements and earn the new revised badge. He was given approval as long as he didn't count any of the work from the previous merit badge. So he was fortunate enough to work extra hard and have a merit badge revised enabling him to earn 132.

Interestingly enough the Chess badge was released on 9/10/2011. He discovered this after his final Court of Honor was scheduled for 9/11/2011 and he had already announced and had council approval for earning all the badges. Once again he approached and asked if he could complete it as soon as the requirements were posted online (9/8/11) and he completed the badge in two days to be able to really complete all the badges, even though the council had already recognized him as completing prior to the release of chess.

I'd be happy to answer anymore questions and if you'd like to learn more about his merit badges he is reviewing his experiences in his autism blog (http://theartofautism17.blogspot.com/). You can also discover more of his diagnosis and childhood here. (http://twelvemakesadozen.blogspot.com/search/label/Autism?updated-max=2011-04-09T05%3A59%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=20)

Rockntractor
10-01-2011, 12:08 AM
First let me apologize from bringing this back from last week, but I wanted to comment and created an account just for more information. I am Nathan's oldest sister so I can answer your questions. We are roughly 10 years apart I was fourteen when he was diagnosed.

Yes, he earned all the merit badges, he has accomplished a lot. But... It hasn't changed his social awkwardness, his new found "fame" hasn't made the girls line up to date the weird kid. The film crew had over an hour of footage, unfortunately most of that had to be cut because he is indeed very autistic.

I would also like to point out that he is nearly 18 and not part of the inflated percentages. He was diagnosed at three. He first learned to talk by repeating movies. He didn't understand what he was saying or the movie meant, but if you followed the movie dialog with him he would get excited. He would rewind our movie (VCR days) over and over to learn the words and memorize them. He couldn't have an actual conversation with more than five word exchanges until he was ten or twelve. At his diagnoses he was classified at moderate on the spectrum. If he were tested today he would come across as mild. He is not Asperger's.

As for my mother's statement, "He can do anything." Well, he do anything he is in charge of. He can't hang out with his friends after school because he doesn't have any. He isn't planning a date with his girlfriend because he doesn't have one. He can do anything he wants to accomplish alone. But he hasn't been able to truly overcome the social barriers of autism to be the happy normal teen he wants to be.

Yes for Entrepreneurship he started a dog walking business. He continues to run this business.

As for the 131 listed. The Boy Scouts are constantly changing and updating merit badges. There are actually not 131 currently available because several of the heritage badges released last year only (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/2010_Historic_Merit_Badge_Program) and are no longer achievable. Because the flux in available the Boy Scouts do not have a set number of badges, but a list of possible badges (http://www.meritbadgeknot.com/registry.htm)and that is currently 131.
His 132nd badge comes from a revision of a previous badge. The Boy Scouts had major revisions to the auto mechanic merit badge that made it much easier and released it as auto maintenance. Nathan had earned the original badge early in his scout career and approached the local council and asked permission to complete the new requirements and earn the new revised badge. He was given approval as long as he didn't count any of the work from the previous merit badge. So he was fortunate enough to work extra hard and have a merit badge revised enabling him to earn 132.

Interestingly enough the Chess badge was released on 9/10/2011. He discovered this after his final Court of Honor was scheduled for 9/11/2011 and he had already announced and had council approval for earning all the badges. Once again he approached and asked if he could complete it as soon as the requirements were posted online (9/8/11) and he completed the badge in two days to be able to really complete all the badges, even though the council had already recognized him as completing prior to the release of chess.

I'd be happy to answer anymore questions and if you'd like to learn more about his merit badges he is reviewing his experiences in his autism blog (http://theartofautism17.blogspot.com/). You can also discover more of his diagnosis and childhood here. (http://twelvemakesadozen.blogspot.com/search/label/Autism?updated-max=2011-04-09T05%3A59%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=20)

Thank you for dropping in, this is very interesting and welcome to CU.:)

kieralasion
10-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Thank you. I don't have much time for forums but I will have a look around on the weekends.

Starbuck
10-01-2011, 12:34 AM
I still love his statement, "Stop Slacking and Get on with it!"

Ranks right up there with, "Let's roll!":)

Constitutionally Speaking
10-01-2011, 12:06 PM
As a parent with an autistic son, I can assure you that in many ways you CAN'T tell there is anything "wrong" with an autistic child.

Unless you saw my son in a SOCIAL situation with someone his own age, you would not know anything was different.

Only when you see the social skills side by side would you notice. He is very bright, not just smart but advanced smart in a LOT of things, but when it comes to communicating - he is WAY behind.

10-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Thank you. I don't have much time for forums but I will have a look around on the weekends.

I would appreciate any insight you can lend - our son is 2 1/2 years old and although we have seen enormous progress, his communication skills are far behind where he should be. He doesn't talk at all and can only use about 5-6 signs appropriately - although he seems to have had a break through in this in the last day or two.

fettpett
10-01-2011, 11:53 PM
I would appreciate any insight you can lend - our son is 2 1/2 years old and although we have seen enormous progress, his communication skills are far behind where he should be. He doesn't talk at all and can only use about 5-6 signs appropriately - although he seems to have had a break through in this in the last day or two.

my son was 3 before he really started talking, and even now his communication skills are very lacking. Give him time, find something he likes too...my son used Blue's Clues to start talking

10-02-2011, 06:56 AM
my son was 3 before he really started talking, and even now his communication skills are very lacking. Give him time, find something he likes too...my son used Blue's Clues to start talking

He does like Blue's Clues - and we have seen major progress,so thank you for the words of encouragement.

Is your son autistic also?

fettpett
10-02-2011, 10:28 AM
He does like Blue's Clues - and we have seen major progress,so thank you for the words of encouragement.

Is your son autistic also?

he has Asperger's

SaintLouieWoman
10-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Thank you so much for joining. I'm so very proud of your brother, who is indeed a wonderful young man.

I have a great niece who has asperger's. She is so very special to me. I've seen first hand the struggles that the little girl has had and the social awkwardness, but applaud the progress she has made. Like your brother, she has had the support of a wonderful mother and father and the grandparents and extended family.

It's easy to say that it is over-diagnosed, but having the information out there just might help some parent who doesn't know the signs. As you know it's best to get the early diagnosis at 2 or 3 or even before, so help might be given to offset it.

Please continue to stay in touch with us.

SaintLouieWoman
10-03-2011, 12:38 AM
So glad that he's doing better and getting those break throughs. Believe me, with help he'll advance. Also little boys often don't talk as soon as girls. My little grandson (will be 3 Nov 30th) talks, but not like some of the little chatterbox girls in the family.

kieralasion
10-03-2011, 02:23 AM
Don't give up. I said before my brother was nearly 8 before he could communicate. He couldn't sign, we had no way of know what he wanted to eat. It was just grunts and tantrums.
My youngest is nearly five years old and not autistic. He is actually perfectly "normal" (for now). He was a late talker. But when it happened it was full sentences. Now we kind of wish he would stop talking. (He talks in his sleep.) Kids will progress at different times. I am kind of surprised you have a diagnosis of autism already at 2 1/2. It sounds like you are already working with him and concerned. Those are the best skills for a parent with any child. Keep helping and encouraging him and he will grow.