PDA

View Full Version : 5 foods that can trigger a stroke...

RobJohnson
09-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Few things feel more terrifying and random than a stroke, which can strike without warning. And fear of stroke -- when a blood vessel in or leading to the brain bursts or is blocked by a blood clot, starving brain cells of oxygen and nutrients -- is well founded. After all, stroke is the number-three killer in the U.S., affecting more than 700,000 people each year. Here are five foods that cause the damage that leads to stroke.

The list
(http://health.yahoo.net/caring/5-foods-that-can-trigger-a-stroke)

fettpett
09-21-2011, 01:48 PM
everything is bad for you, might as well stop eating :eek: :rolleyes:

marv
09-21-2011, 02:01 PM

Now that's downright unhealthy!

I'll stick with my chips'n'dip and red meat rare with lots of fat... http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/avatars/yum.gif I've made it to 72, and you can, too.

RobJohnson
09-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Now that's downright unhealthy!

:D

djones520
09-22-2011, 12:47 AM
What's the point in life if you can't enjoy it? Fuck these "they may be bad for you" things. It tastes good, so I'm going to eat it. I'd rather die at 65 having lived a good life, then die at 85 eating like a vegan. :rolleyes:

RobJohnson
09-22-2011, 02:01 AM
What's the point in life if you can't enjoy it? Fuck these "they may be bad for you" things. It tastes good, so I'm going to eat it. I'd rather die at 65 having lived a good life, then die at 85 eating like a vegan. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. But........

My dad's family had a history of arteriosclerosis. His brother demanded no one could get him to change his diet or quit drinking, etc. "You have to die some day"

My poor Aunt had her hands full with the guy. He was always having heart attack and strokes. He did die, like everyone else. But he was buried one piece at a time. First a foot, then a leg, then another leg, then the rest of the leg, etc....my Aunt had him to take care plus her career as a director of nursing for a large hospital.

What a way to fucking live. No thanks. At least when my dad died, he was all in one piece.

Novaheart
09-22-2011, 02:16 AM

I've pretty much eliminated all of those foods. I confess that I have a CLEAR diet soda now and then (clear soda being much safer). But I haven't had red meat or much processed food since May 9, 2011, aka 75 pounds ago today.

Yeah, I over did it on the salt restriction, but I'm back to normal now and the same dietary rules (albeit now ensuring that I get both enough sodium and not too much sodium) are taking the weight off painlessly.

When I am 65 my youngest family member will be 28 years old. There is a good chance my mother will still be alive. I would prefer to see my niece into her 40's at a minimum. I would like to live to see my grandnephews/nieces grow up. I realize, I am asking a lot.

RobJohnson
09-22-2011, 04:57 AM
I've pretty much eliminated all of those foods. I confess that I have a CLEAR diet soda now and then (clear soda being much safer). But I haven't had red meat or much processed food since May 9, 2011, aka 75 pounds ago today.

Yeah, I over did it on the salt restriction, but I'm back to normal now and the same dietary rules (albeit now ensuring that I get both enough sodium and not too much sodium) are taking the weight off painlessly.

When I am 65 my youngest family member will be 28 years old. There is a good chance my mother will still be alive. I would prefer to see my niece into her 40's at a minimum. I would like to live to see my grandnephews/nieces grow up. I realize, I am asking a lot.

Good job on the elimination of 75 lbs...

fettpett
09-22-2011, 08:44 AM

hey now, there are some damn good vegan recopies out there AND stuff you already eat that are vegan that you didn't know where, like Oreo's :p

Novaheart
09-22-2011, 09:44 AM
hey now, there are some damn good vegan recopies out there AND stuff you already eat that are vegan that you didn't know where, like Oreo's :p

Fortunately my local health food supermarket isn't vegan, so I can enjoy portions of Thai tuna, some kind of shrimp, curry chicken, and a taste of feta or bleu cheese all from the salad/food bar.

But no one should kid himself about health food store food. A lot of that stuff on the food bar, in the hot food case, and in the deli is loaded with olive oil and salt.

fettpett
09-22-2011, 09:53 AM
the major problem with all those food is the VAST amounts of extra sodium that they have in them, MSG is some nasty stuff, and it's in tons of food that use it as a preservative

edit: stupid spellcheck...not sure why it gave me postoperative...

Novaheart
09-22-2011, 10:18 AM
the major problem with all those food is the VAST amounts of extra sodium that they have in them, MSG is some nasty stuff, and it's in tons of food that use it as a postoperative

Most processed foods have ingredients in them that we shouldn't be consuming, but a special place in hell is reserved for the makers of diet foods. Almost all of these foods have increased levels of some other chemical or nutrient in exchange for the nutrient they claim to be saving you.

Low fat foods are almost always higher in sugar, sodium, potassium, or phosphorus as well as some stuff that I have no idea what it does.

To the credit of either the food industry or the FDA though, labelling is slowly improving. I am seeing potassium numbers on more foods, and ingredient lists now have an asterisk next to ingredients not normally found in that product. For example, if low fat cream cheese has potassium sulfate (and I don't know why it would) added, it will have an asterisk and a note "ingredient not in regular cream cheese".

Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine, Snackwells and most sugar free products are all chemical nightmares.

fettpett
09-22-2011, 10:59 AM
mostly it's preservative, idk why they would put Potassium Sulfate into it either, other than as a preservative since they aren't using as much salt

noonwitch
09-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Grandpa (98) says the trick to living long is not eating anything in excess, and eating the darkest bread you can buy at the store (he has a breadmaker and makes his own, these days). He eats lots of vegetables, but he also eats bacon with eggs for breakfast at least 2-3 days a week, and eats red meat for at least 3 of his dinners a week (he eats a restaurants a lot-he's old and rich).

Grandpa has never smoked, but he always liked a beer now and then. He's active, which I think is his main reason for living so long.

RobJohnson
09-22-2011, 03:11 PM
the major problem with all those food is the VAST amounts of extra sodium that they have in them, MSG is some nasty stuff, and it's in tons of food that use it as a postoperative

Yep...

SaintLouieWoman
09-22-2011, 04:30 PM

That list of bad foods contains SR's all time favorites. He had a hemorraghic stroke at 52. Believe me, DJones, that's not what you want in life. I've suggested to SR that when he wants to scarf down the bacon, is it worth being back in the hospital with all the tubes, etc and those gruesome tests? I don't think so.

I know a lot of you guys are kidding, but it can happen to you, too. SR didn't think anything like that would get him, with no family history, etc. If you don't care about yourself, think what it does to your family.

Since this has happened I've made a concerted effort to really take control of the only person I can control, myself. I haven't lost any 75 pounds, but have lost 21 since April. I'm really watching the quality of the food going into my mouth.

It's paying off big time beyond the weight loss thing. I just got a report from a cardiologist today that a problem I've had for years, pulmonary hypertension, is not only not getting worse, but it's improving, ditto gastric reflux.

I want to be around to see the little 1 and 3 year old grandbabies grow up and need to stay healthy for SR.

We went to a free lunch again today on finances and tax avoidance, and I took one tiny cube of the scalloped potatoes and 2 small bites of the key lime cheesecake. The rest I just shoved aside and didn't touch. It wasn't worth it.

Molon Labe
09-22-2011, 04:38 PM

The point is that we all love bacon and all that fat junk. But If I die at 60....I want to die on my feet relatively healthy. I want to still be able to run two miles, even if it takes me 30 minutes, I want to be able to lift weights and play basketball, and I want to be able to get "it" up if ya know what I mean. All that stuff is cardiovascular health.

If I die at 60, I don't want to have to go out in a nursing home at 55 and live 5 years dieing on a colostopy bag, drooling and paralyzed from a stroke. I want to go out on my own two feet. Part of that is enjoying the crappy stuff in moderation. Like STLW said

I want to be around to see the little 1 and 3 year old grandbabies grow up and need to stay healthy for SR.

SarasotaRepub
09-22-2011, 05:19 PM

Damn straight! :p I'm gonna have me a T-Bone covered in gravy and sop the juices up with twinkes. And wash it down with a liter of diet coke.

:)