PDA

View Full Version : White Supremacist to be Executed In Texas for 1998 killing

megimoo
09-21-2011, 03:19 PM
A white supremacist who was sentenced to death for the murder of a black man in an horrific killing that echoed the atrocities of the lynching era is to be executed today.

Lawrence Russell Brewer, 44, is scheduled to be put to death by lethal injection at 6pm for his part in the 1998 killing of James Byrd, Jr in East Texas......Brewer was one of three men convicted of killing Byrd after they offered him a lift along a remote country road.

Byrd, 49, was beaten unconscious and urinated upon before being bound to the vehicle by his ankles with a heavy logging chain and driven for three miles.......Forensic evidence showed that he was alive for much of the ordeal but was killed when the vehicle hit a concrete drainage channel causing his head and arm to be ripped from his body.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2040000/White-supremacist-Lawrence-Russell-Brewer-executed-1998-racist-killing.html

Tipsycatlover
09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Not much complaint over this guy's execution is there?

ralph wiggum
09-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Not much complaint over this guy's execution is there?

But of course not. White guys are always guilty.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2011, 03:39 PM
If they are absolutely certain he guilty, he should be in prison for a very long time. He should also be treated humanely in prison. I don't think the state should kill him.

Rockntractor
09-21-2011, 04:07 PM
If they are absolutely certain he guilty, he should be in prison for a very long time. He should also be treated humanely in prison. I don't think the state should kill him.

Fry his ass and crush his car!

megimoo
09-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Fry his ass and crush his car!
Or Vice versa..Leave his ass alone .Deep Fry his goat and sex his wife or something ?..

Constitutionally Speaking
09-21-2011, 04:28 PM

Nope. THere is no doubt in this case. I would have no issue with torture before execution.

Odysseus
09-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Right. The state should only kill capitalists, kulaks, counterrevolutionaries, enemies of the party and reactionaries. :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Nope. THere is no doubt in this case. I would have no issue with torture before execution.

Torture is never acceptable. Sometimes it is necessary to kill another human being, but torture degrades their very humanity.

Punishing people can be done by stripping them of their freedoms, their property, and most of their civil rights. However, kiilling people should be done only when necessary (like police shooting an armed gunman, or soldiers killing enemy combatants in a warzone). It is never necessary to kill a man in a cage, that is about revenge, and it's sick.

As for torture, that's even worse, torture violates humanity itself, torture is obscene. Torture is always wrong. Period.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Right. The state should only kill capitalists, kulaks, counterrevolutionaries, enemies of the party and reactionaries. :rolleyes:

You are trying way too hard, your gimmick is running pretty thin.

Novaheart
09-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Is the mental picture of Hell one in which you simply die, or is it one in which you are held captive and tortured for eternity?

How humane would you expect this man's stay in a Texas prison to be? To keep him alive probably requires complete isolation.

Hawkgirl
09-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Torture is never acceptable. Sometimes it is necessary to kill another human being, but torture degrades their very humanity.

Punishing people can be done by stripping them of their freedoms, their property, and most of their civil rights. However, kiilling people should be done only when necessary (like police shooting an armed gunman, or soldiers killing enemy combatants in a warzone). It is never necessary to kill a man in a cage, that is about revenge, and it's sick.

As for torture, that's even worse, torture violates humanity itself, torture is obscene. Torture is always wrong. Period.

Does incinerating 3,000 people after crashing a 747 into their space count as torture? Remember that next time you defend the peaceful islamist tewowists.

Hawkgirl
09-21-2011, 05:46 PM

I agree!!! those abortion methods are barbaric!!

NJCardFan
09-21-2011, 05:56 PM

If you saw the autopsy pictures you would think differently.

NJCardFan
09-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Prison is a fucking vacation.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2011, 06:54 PM
If you saw the autopsy pictures you would think differently.

I don't agree with state-sanctioned killing or state-sanctioned torture, at all.

There are times when killing is necessary, but not when a person is already in a cage.

Hawkgirl
09-21-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't agree with state-sanctioned killing or state-sanctioned torture, at all.

There are times when killing is necessary, but not when a person is already in a cage.

That cage offeres 3 healthy meals per day, tv, internet, and play time outside....all free...and paid for by us taxpayers.

If Prisons were indeed what prisons are SUPPOSED to be...then maybe. Prisons should be like the turkish prisons featured on the movie Midnight Express...but they are a joke here.

Hawkgirl
09-21-2011, 07:31 PM

The annoying part is how you make criminals out to be victims. There is an easy way to keep off death row and keep yourself out of prison. Try not acting like an animal and you won't have to endure the hostile prisons of the US. Taxpayers should not be footing the bill of these violent criminals. They should be put to death in a manner that relates to the way they took a life.

It's sickening how you people come to the aid of violent criminals and pedophiles...but are quick to defend the right to butcher an innocent baby.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2011, 07:35 PM
The punishment for doing crimes is being stripped of your freedoms, being unable to move around, having every moment of your day dictated to you rather than your own choice, being unable to live with your family, all of the simple joys of life, and the very basic component of being in control of yourself are taken away. There's no need to torture people on top of that.

Making prisons into torture factories is not only sick and immoral, but it causes more problems than it solves. You get people who go into prison for things like theft or drunk driving, and end up turning into sociopaths because they were raped or abused inside. Torturing people just for vengeance is sick, it's wrong.

The other aspect of prison is to separate potentially dangerous people from the rest of society, which even the nicest swedish prisons do perfectly effectively.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2011, 07:40 PM
The annoying part is how you make criminals out to be victims. There is an easy way to keep off death row and keep yourself out of prison. Try not acting like an animal and you won't have to endure the hostile prisons of the US. Taxpayers should not be footing the bill of these violent criminals. They should be put to death in a manner that relates to the way they took a life.

This isn't Saudi Arabia. That is sick.

It's sickening how you people come to the aid of violent criminals and pedophiles...but are quick to defend the right to butcher an innocent baby.

Who is "you people"?

Hawkgirl
09-21-2011, 07:41 PM
The punishment for doing crimes is being stripped of your freedoms, being unable to move around, having every moment of your day dictated to you rather than your own choice, being unable to live with your family, all of the simple joys of life, and the very basic component of being in control of yourself are taken away. There's no need to torture people on top of that.

What about the simple joys of life that were taken from their victims. Again, you are victimizing the criminal. If they want to keep their liberties, they should abide by the law.

Hawkgirl
09-21-2011, 07:42 PM
This isn't Saudi Arabia. That is sick.

It would be an effective deterrent.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2011, 07:47 PM
What about the simple joys of life that were taken from their victims.

I feel bad for victims of crimes and I think people who commit crimes should be punished, stripped of their freedom, and seperated from society so they cannot harm anyone else.

Wanting to torture people on top of that is just perverted. It's not going to bring back victims, it's not going to un-do crimes. It's sick.

Again, you are victimizing the criminal. If they want to keep their liberties, they should abide by the law.

I'm not "victimizing" the criminal, I'm recognizing that criminals are people too, they are human beings who suffer and love and feel pain and joy. I think criminals should be punished but getting joy out of torturing another human being is just plain evil.

If a person has a strong sense of "justice", and goes around picking up prostitutes and torturing them and murdering them, that is absolutely wrong. Just because he's doing it out of a sense of justice doesn't make it any less wrong. If a state does it though, that's okay? That's obscene.

Laws are necessary, enforcement of laws is necessary, punishment is necessary, but when you take it beyond that and try to torture for vengeance, you become no better than the evil people you are condemning.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2011, 07:48 PM

It's not. The statistics are clear on this.

Hawkgirl
09-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Wee Wee, why do you keep bringing up torture? Lethal injection is virtually painless.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2011, 07:53 PM
It was brought up by another poster and then the subject came up of making prisons as awful as possible for some reason.

Prisons should have 3 purposes:
1. Isolate violent criminals, so that they are not a threat to the rest of society.
2. Strip the freedoms of criminals, punishing them for their crimes.
3. Rehabilitate criminals, giving them therapy, work skills, psychological treatment, so that when they are released they can be productive members of society.

Killing people doesn't need to be a part of that, making their living conditions as awful as possible to torture them isn't necessary and it's wrong.

Hawkgirl
09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
3. Rehabilitate criminals, giving them therapy, work skills, psychological treatment, so that when they are released they can be productive members of society.

:rotfl:

In the United States, 53% of arrested males and 39% of arrested females are re-incarcerated (2003).[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recidivism

The only thing prisons teach criminals, is how to become better criminals.

Rockntractor
09-21-2011, 08:00 PM
People like Wei give little to no value for a human life. When someone takes a life by murder it is worth just that another life. To say a human life is only worth 10 20 30 years or even the rest of your days is devaluing the life that was stolen.

CueSi
09-21-2011, 08:04 PM

I don't think so. Albert Fish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fish), H.Mudd looked FORWARD to their execution.

So....yeah.

~QC

Hawkgirl
09-21-2011, 08:09 PM
I I'm recognizing that criminals are people too, they are human beings who suffer and love and feel pain and joy. .

Someone hand me a tissue...this is HEARTBREAKING!! Criminals are people too? You should watch an episode of Gangland...and get back to me.

Hawkgirl
09-21-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't think so. Albert Fish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fish), H.Mudd looked FORWARD to their execution.

So....yeah.

~QC

There are arguements for both sides of the Death Penalty.

CueSi
09-21-2011, 08:23 PM
There are arguements for both sides of the Death Penalty.

Who you telling. :)

~QC

Novaheart
09-21-2011, 10:02 PM

Since you mention it, should I be beaten and raped in prison by lifers who have nothing to fear because they already have life sentences?

Should the lifers be confined to their own prisons, so they can only prey on each other? Even if that is the case, wouldn't the weaker lifers be experiencing state sanctioned torture at the hand of the lifers?

What exactly are we to do with violent and malevolent lifers who wake up in the morning thinking about who they are going to victimize today?

And what about the guards? Since we won't let the guards run the prison with absolute compliance, obedience, order, and respect (or else) then how can we ask these people to go into a workplace where they might be harmed by an incorrigible monster that society simply doesn't have the stomach to execute?

Novaheart
09-21-2011, 10:03 PM

So....yeah.

~QC

I think we should at least give the convicts the choice of life or execution. I think I would take execution, but I suppose I could never really know unless I were in that situation.

Rockntractor
09-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Since you mention it, should I be beaten and raped in prison by lifers who have nothing to fear because they already have life sentences?

Should the lifers be confined to their own prisons, so they can only prey on each other? Even if that is the case, wouldn't the weaker lifers be experiencing state sanctioned torture at the hand of the lifers?

What exactly are we to do with violent and malevolent lifers who wake up in the morning thinking about who they are going to victimize today?

And what about the guards? Since we won't let the guards run the prison with absolute compliance, obedience, order, and respect (or else) then how can we ask these people to go into a workplace where they might be harmed by an incorrigible monster that society simply doesn't have the stomach to execute?

Well said!

Sonnabend
09-21-2011, 11:17 PM

In the chair in front of you is a man who tells you he has the information as to where an eight year old girl has been buried alive, and will die in less than less than 12 hours. He sits there and smugly demands his "rights".

Her life is in your hands.

What would you do?

Punishing people can be done by stripping them of their freedoms, their property, and most of their civil rights.

Which is what this man did when he murdered a man because of the colour of his skin,

However, kiilling people should be done only when necessary (like police shooting an armed gunman, or soldiers killing enemy combatants in a warzone). It is never necessary to kill a man in a cage, that is about revenge, and it's sick

Fine, don't kill him in a cage. Take him outside where the sun is shining and the birds are singing, then take five men and five rifles with 30.06 cartridges, put him up against a wall and blow his head off.

As for torture, that's even worse, torture violates humanity itself, torture is obscene. Torture is always wrong. Period

There are only three things to remember about torture.

Red is positive.
Black is negative.
Make sure his balls are wet.

CueSi
09-21-2011, 11:20 PM
I think we should at least give the convicts the choice of life or execution. I think I would take execution, but I suppose I could never really know unless I were in that situation.

Most would take life with the condition of prisons at present. If LWOP meant using some of those Alaskan and Pacific atolls we don't use to stash these people for a while. . .it would be a meaningful choice.

~QC

djones520
09-22-2011, 12:35 AM
He's dead now.