PDA

View Full Version : Troy Davis and Lawrence Brewer: 2 executions, 2 reactions

megimoo
09-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Troy Davis and Lawrence Brewer were executed Wednesday night. And the nation's reaction couldn't be more divided.
snip
Davis used his dying breath to insist he was not responsible for killing Mark MacPhail, an off-duty Savannah, Ga., police officer gunned down in 1989 while coming to the aid of a homeless man. "I personally did not kill your son, father and brother," he told the victim's family as he was strapped to a gurney in a Georgia prison in preparation for the lethal injection. "I am innocent."

Doubt about Davis' guilt had been raised after key witnesses recanted their testimony. Death penalty opponents around the world closely followed the case as it made its way through the courts, including a last-minute attempt for a reprieve from the U.S. Supreme Court -- and were shocked and saddened when it did not come.

Meanwhile, Brewer, a 44-year-old white supremacist, was also put to death Wednesday night in Texas for the racially motivated 1998 dragging death of a black man.

The brutality of the killing shocked the nation and ultimately led to new state and federal hate crime legislation. The victim, James Byrd Jr., was looking for a ride home when Brewer and two friends turned on him. They drove him down a remote road, beat him, and then chained him to the back of a truck and dragged him for several miles before dumping his decapitated body in front of an African American cemetery.

Brewer also proclaimed his innocence, to a degree, acknowledging a role in the attack but insisting he did not kill Byrd.

The reaction on Twitter to his death was almost gleeful in some corners, seeming to reflect a belief that Brewer got what he deserved. Among the Tweets: "JUSTICE SERVED" and "That dude deserved guns AND electric chairs...hot mess!"

As the news cycle churned, reaction in the Davis case seemed to move on to efforts to overturn the death penalty, with many calling the execution a watershed moment.

But there were also plenty of comments pointing out a perception of hypocrisy in the different reactions to the deaths. Among them:

--"Lawrence Brewer was also executed while claiming his innocence. Said he assaulted the man, but did not kill him. He didn't get any attention"

--"Why no outrage among celebrities over the execution of racist lyncher Lawrence Russell Brewer?...looking at you @AlecBaldwin"

--"Funny that people are calling 'racism' for Troy Davis when Lawrence Russell Brewer was also executed yesterday, for killing a black man."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/09/troy-davis-lawrence-brewer-2-executions-2-very-different-reactions.html

Wei Wu Wei
09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
One seemed to have significant doubt while the other didn't.

I don't think either should have been killed though.

Bailey
09-22-2011, 04:27 PM

You are a GW believer so you can say there are two less carbon footprints to worry about.

Odysseus
09-22-2011, 04:43 PM

Yeah, there was no evidence that they were capitalists.

newshutr
09-22-2011, 04:45 PM
You are a GW believer so you can say there are two less carbon footprints to worry about.

+1

noonwitch
09-22-2011, 04:55 PM
I don't know what the law in Texas is regarding first degree murder. In Michigan, if someone is already committing a felonious assault on an individual, and that individual dies, it is still murder one even if the defendant didn't actually kill the victim. By that standard, Lawrence is as guilty as his buddy who tied Byrd to the vehicle and dragged him to his death. Because Lawrence hit Byrd, he participated in the crime. That is usually only used in cases of armed robbery, where one guy is the killer, but the other one is also involved in the robbery.

I'm opposed to the death penalty in all cases. It doesn't mean I mourn for the executed, but I still think it's wrong.

Novaheart
09-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Don't you think it's a tad odd that he said, "I didn't personally kill...."

If Dick Cheney said he didn't personally kill someone, wouldn't we assume that he had had a hand in it?

newshutr
09-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Brewer ate better than most of us..

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2011/09/senate-criminal-justice-chair-enough-is-enough-on-last-meals-for-death-row-inmates/

two chicken fried steaks, a triple meat bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet, a large bowl of fried okra, three fajitas, a pint of Blue Bell ice cream, and a pound of barbecue with a half loaf of white bread

noonwitch
09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Brewer ate better than most of us..

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2011/09/senate-criminal-justice-chair-enough-is-enough-on-last-meals-for-death-row-inmates/

Was he purposely trying to have a heart attack?

If it was my last meal, though, I'd be having a cholesterol fest, too. Time for a Triple Whopper with bacon and cheese!

Odysseus
09-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Was he purposely trying to have a heart attack?

If it was my last meal, though, I'd be having a cholesterol fest, too. Time for a Triple Whopper with bacon and cheese!

BK? Seriously? When there's Wendy's, Hardee's/Carl's Jr or Whataburger? Some people just don't know from good burgers. :D

NJCardFan
09-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Moral of the story is...

Black man kills a white off duty cop, he shouldn't die and he was innocent.

White man kill a black man...yay death penalty.

lacarnut
09-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Moral of the story is...

That is about the size of it. Damn liberals with their white guilt complex. :vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

Novaheart
09-23-2011, 09:40 PM

Reading Daniel Ruth's column today, it is consistent with what I see in a lot of the folks up in arms about the Troy Davis execution.

Maybe he was no saint. But to opponents of the death penalty, Troy Davis has become a martyr sacrificed on an altar of indifference to common sense, fair play and ultimately justice.

There are no mulligans on death row.

So if the state of Georgia is going to extract the ultimate sanction in taking a life, doesn't it stand to reason that the prisoner strapped to a gurney awaiting a lethal injection should really be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt?

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/article1193076.ece

Now give careful consideration to what Ruth is actually saying here. He's not an ignorant man, so we have to believe that he understands what he is saying.

Troy Davis was indeed found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Not in some liberal's nightmare of the "Old South", but by a jury of his peers, including some peers his same coloration.

So we have to conclude, that Daniel Ruth believes that such cases should go not to the appeals courts (which did not reverse) , but to The Coliseum, where the public rather than a jury can decide whether Davis was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

That's exactly what he's saying. He's saying that the public, the crowd, rather than the jury and the courts should decide guilt, innocence, and sentencing.

Wei Wu Wei
09-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Moral of the story is...

Neither of them should have been executed.

Zathras
09-24-2011, 02:18 AM

Good thing you and your ilk are not in charge then because, if two people ever needed killing, it was these two POS.

Eat a dick and STFU Wee Wee. Justice has been done.

Odysseus
09-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Oh, spare us. You constantly demand more power for government over every aspect of the lives of people whose only crime is wanting to pursue their own happiness, but when someone commits a real crime, you're suddenly appalled that government has the power to inflict punishment. Besides, we all know that if they were capitalists who'd fought to keep their wealth, you'd have been the first one to demand their execution. Your hypocrisy couldn't be more blatant.

Wei Wu Wei
09-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Oh, spare us. You constantly demand more power for government over every aspect of the lives of people whose only crime is wanting to pursue their own happiness, but when someone commits a real crime, you're suddenly appalled that government has the power to inflict punishment. Besides, we all know that if they were capitalists who'd fought to keep their wealth, you'd have been the first one to demand their execution. Your hypocrisy couldn't be more blatant.

Yes yes you got it. Up against the wall! Eat the rich! Into the Gulags! ect. ect.

:rolleyes:

JB
09-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Brewer ate better than most of us..When it all arrived he said "I'm not hungry" and didn't eat it.

Hilarious.

newshutr
09-24-2011, 05:10 PM
When it all arrived he said "I'm not hungry" and didn't eat it.

Hilarious.

Should have charged his family with it..

NJCardFan
09-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I like that video that's floating around of the guy who said that the method of execution should be that the inmate should be strapped face down, a hole punched into the base of his skull, and his brains sucked out with a high powered vacuum. And instead of calling it an execution, they can call it the states right to choose.

Odysseus
09-24-2011, 07:09 PM
I like that video that's floating around of the guy who said that the method of execution should be that the inmate should be strapped face down, a hole punched into the base of his skull, and his brains sucked out with a high powered vacuum. And instead of calling it an execution, they can call it the states right to choose.

ROFLOL!!!!!

Retroactive abortion! I love it!