PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake swarm picks up again in northern Nevada

SarasotaRepub
06-08-2008, 07:45 PM
I sense Teh Rove is afoot!!! (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080608/D9163ULG0.html)

RENO, Nev. (AP) - A months-long swarm of earthquakes picked up again Sunday as a string of minor temblors rattled Reno, causing downtown high-rises to sway and knocking items off walls and shelves.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or major property damage after about 20 minor quakes reported on the western edge of Reno over 12 hours ending about noon.

Magnitude-3.9 and 3.7 quakes struck within a couple minutes of each other shortly before 11 a.m. and were preceded by 3.2 and 3.0 quakes early Sunday, said researchers at the seismological laboratory at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Diane dePolo, a lab seismologist, said it was the strongest sequence of quakes in the past month and signaled a pickup in activity after a recent lull.

:eek::D

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 07:47 PM
it is rather annoying when you go to type a reply and the monitor is moving across the desk.

:mad:

SarasotaRepub
06-08-2008, 08:27 PM
it is rather annoying when you go to type a reply and the monitor is moving across the desk.

LOL!!! Teh Rove is just "testing" some smallish Bunker Busters in preparation
for the Invasion of Iran, take no notice. :cool:

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 08:41 PM

I'll tie the kid down and wait it out

BSR
06-08-2008, 08:50 PM

All hail Teh Rove !!!

http://www.patrickruffini.com/images/starwars/vader-rove.jpg

Bubba Dawg
06-08-2008, 09:12 PM

Is it an earthquake or some sort of...appliance..? :p

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Is it an earthquake or some sort of...appliance..? :p

trust me, its not an appliance...although it could be some sort of ....tool... :p
have you not noticed the coincidence of my disappearing from the net friday afternoon until sunday afternoon and the earthquake clusters? ;);)

Bubba Dawg
06-08-2008, 09:21 PM
trust me, its not an appliance...although it could be some sort of ....tool... :p
have you not noticed the coincidence of my disappearing from the net friday afternoon until sunday afternoon and the earthquake clusters? ;);)

Figured you were off kickin' up your heels. :D Stay safe.

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Figured you were off kickin' up your heels. :D Stay safe.

at our age safe sex means no one breaks a hip!

Bubba Dawg
06-08-2008, 09:28 PM

:D:D nice

You don't hurt no cowboys now. ;)

megimoo
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
That 'tickled me pink',funny stuff !
No more jungle bar gymnastics and midair flips I suppose and the overhead mirror is gone ?

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 09:32 PM
:D:D nice

You don't hurt no cowboys now. ;)

i'm overwhelmed by your concern for me.. :mad:

jinxmchue
06-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I always thought numerous small quakes were a good thing - releasing pressure gradually and not very destructively.

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 09:36 PM
That 'tickled me pink',funny stuff !
No more jungle bar gymnastics and midair flips I suppose and the overhead mirror is gone ?

moved the overhead mirror and put it over the dining room table...
replaced the swinging chandelier with tracklighting due to dimming eyesight
the jungle gym bars are used to hang my support hose and his truss...

its a sad life I live...

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I always thought numerous small quakes were a good thing - releasing pressure gradually and not very destructively.

the area has a lot of thermal energy..hot springs everywhere across the desert here

SarasotaRepub
06-08-2008, 09:41 PM

Well that's true...except when the little ones are really nukes.
Just widdle baby ones. :D

megimoo
06-08-2008, 09:48 PM
moved the overhead mirror and put it over the dining room table...
replaced the swinging chandelier with tracklighting due to dimming eyesight
the jungle gym bars are used to hang my support hose and his truss...

its a sad life I live...Where do you put your false teeth,eyeglasses,knee brace and hearing aid at bed time ?Nothing above the neck or below the hips is original equipment these days ]

Bubba Dawg
06-08-2008, 09:48 PM
i'm overwhelmed by your concern for me.. :mad:

I am concerned. You know and I know if you broke some cowboy's hip, you'd feel obligated to heal him back to health.

You're already busy.

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Where do you put your false teeth,eyeglasses,knee brace and hearing aid at bed time ?Nothing above the neck or below the hips is original equipment these days ]

I neatly arrange things on my bedside table, he has one on his side of the bed for his accessories. That way my poly grip doesn't get mixed up with his hemorrhoid cream, which can make for an interesting evening.

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 09:57 PM
I am concerned. You know and I know if you broke some cowboy's hip, you'd feel obligated to heal him back to health.

You're already busy.

you're telling me! I spent my entire Christmas holiday helping him recover from the back surgery!

oops :o

Bubba Dawg
06-08-2008, 10:08 PM
you're telling me! I spent my entire Christmas holiday helping him recover from the back surgery!

oops :o

And all you got was a rash on your....self...and a broken toe.

You are an angel.

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 10:15 PM
And all you got was a rash on your....self...and a broken toe.

You are an angel.

I'm just that kinda woman...caring...loving...selflessly giving to others

megimoo
06-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I always thought numerous small quakes were a good thing - releasing pressure gradually and not very destructively.They are, they slip and slide and quake a little .It sure beats the heck out of a big slammer and banger !The places that are really dangerous are the edges of the fault lines like those within the New Madrid seismic zone.The plates are pulling apart along that fault line .
The last big one in that area was in 1811 !

"Whatever the seismic history of the region may have been before the first Europeans arrived, after December 16, 1811, there could be no doubt about the area's potential to generate severe earthquakes.

On that date, shortly after 2 AM, the first tremor of the most violent series of earthquakes in the United States history struck southeast Missouri. In the small town of New Madrid, about 290 kilometers south of St. Louis, residents were aroused from their sleep by the rocking of their cabins, the cracking of timbers, the clatter of breaking dishes and tumbling furniture, the rattling of falling chimneys, and the crashing of falling trees. A terrifying roaring noise was created as the earthquake waves swept across the ground.

Large fissures suddenly opened and swallowed large quantities of river and marsh water. As the fissures closed again, great volumes of mud and sand were ejected along with the water. "

megimoo
06-08-2008, 10:40 PM
I neatly arrange things on my bedside table, he has one on his side of the bed for his accessories. That way my poly grip doesn't get mixed up with his hemorrhoid cream, which can make for an interesting evening.
It sure would make your lips kinda numb !

lurkalot
06-08-2008, 10:43 PM
It sure would make your lips kinda numb !

not to mention the shrinkage...spent the weekend drinking coffee out of a straw and eating jelly beans