PDA

View Full Version : Mass. musician accused of D.C. terrorist plot

Constitutionally Speaking
09-28-2011, 09:59 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2011/09/29/alg_rezwan_ferdaus.jpg

A 26-year-old Massachusetts man with a physics degree was arrested and charged Wednesday with plotting an attack on the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol with a remote-controlled model aircraft, authorities said.

Rezwan Ferdaus, a U.S. citizen from Ashland, Massachusetts, planned to use model aircraft filled with C-4 plastic explosives, authorities said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/28/us/massachusetts-pentagon-plot-arrest/

Dan D. Doty
09-29-2011, 01:44 AM
Wonder why he's not protesting on Wall Street.

linda22003
09-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Why does the headline say he's a musician? I haven't read or heard that in any of the stories about him.

Tipsycatlover
09-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Every news report leads with "US CITIZEN" Just another ordinary guy. Nothing special. Any Lutheran can be a jihadist.

fettpett
09-29-2011, 09:26 AM
he was going to fly radio controlled planes packed with explosives into Gov Buildings. whats ironic is that I've seen videos of how effective this would be online only withing a couple years of 9/11...

Rockntractor
09-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Why does the headline say he's a musician? I haven't read or heard that in any of the stories about him.

When the story broke, before it was updated, all the major news agencies titled it that way.

Ferdaus, an U.S. citizen and Northeastern University graduate, went by the name "Bollywood" when he played in a Massachusetts band. However, U.S. officials say the drummer is also a self-radicalized jihadist, intent on attacking Americans in the U.S. and overseas.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/28/eveningnews/main20113080.shtml

noonwitch
09-29-2011, 10:16 AM
he was going to fly radio controlled planes packed with explosives into Gov Buildings. whats ironic is that I've seen videos of how effective this would be online only withing a couple years of 9/11...

I don't doubt it would work, if he could get close enough to those buildings to use a remote plane. I don't want to give anyone ideas, but those are some pretty high-security targets and I doubt he'd get close enough to the Pentagon or the Capital to be able to use them without being seen as suspicious and being detected.

Luckily, someone got suspicious before he got a chance to try.

DumbAss Tanker
09-29-2011, 10:57 AM
The amount of damage would be pretty trivial, except of course from the perspective of whoever was in the room under the site where the thing landed. From what I've heard of it so far, this guy was a complete dope, he had the idea but all the resources came from the FBI setting him up, from the RC planes to the fake C4.

Odysseus
09-29-2011, 02:43 PM
The amount of damage would be pretty trivial, except of course from the perspective of whoever was in the room under the site where the thing landed. From what I've heard of it so far, this guy was a complete dope, he had the idea but all the resources came from the FBI setting him up, from the RC planes to the fake C4.

An RC plane is basically a poor-man's cruise missile. He'd have to use a larger model to do much damage, but everything depends on the size and nature of the payloads. Theoretically, an explosive with a metal or glass casing could be detonated by remote control, which would cause a lot of shrapnel damage. An incendiary, directed against an LNG tank or other flammable target would also cause a lot of damage. Also, if he had access to a toxin like ricin, that would make the missile far deadlier.

DumbAss Tanker
09-29-2011, 04:19 PM
An RC plane is basically a poor-man's cruise missile. He'd have to use a larger model to do much damage, but everything depends on the size and nature of the payloads. Theoretically, an explosive with a metal or glass casing could be detonated by remote control, which would cause a lot of shrapnel damage. An incendiary, directed against an LNG tank or other flammable target would also cause a lot of damage. Also, if he had access to a toxin like ricin, that would make the missile far deadlier.

True, but it would take one hell of an RC plane to carry enough explosive to do significant structural damage to a building, that's getting more into the 'Target/recon drone' range, not that a resourceful person couldn't build one with enough time and cash. This guy couldn't even afford the RC plane, the FBI had to give him that, not much chance of him being able to come up with any ricin or anthrax spores on his own.

Odysseus
09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
True, but it would take one hell of an RC plane to carry enough explosive to do significant structural damage to a building, that's getting more into the 'Target/recon drone' range, not that a resourceful person couldn't build one with enough time and cash. This guy couldn't even afford the RC plane, the FBI had to give him that, not much chance of him being able to come up with any ricin or anthrax spores on his own.

Agreed, although ricin is relatively easy to make. My fear is the glass bottle bomb, which creates shrapnel that doesn't show up on X-rays, and is a favority of Hamas and the PA. A single coke bottle with a timer, detonator and gunpowder, detonated by an RC aircraft, would not do much structural damage, but if aimed at a playground or other open area with a large population density, the results would be horrific. Luckily for us, the vast majority of the clowns that the jihad recruits are not capable of running complex ops, but then, they've demonstrated that the simplest attacks are usually the most effective. MAJ Nidal Hasan had a very simple plan (buy a few guns, load them and keep shooting until you're taken down), and carried it out ruthlessly. OTOH, the doctors in Britain who tried to blow up Glasgow's airport failed miserablly at trying to build complex bombs. They could have done far worse damage if they'd used their medical skills. For example, by simply recycling tainted needles, they could have fomented an epidemic of any number of blood-borne diseases, including AIDS, rabies, syphillis or any one of a host of other infections. That would have created far more terror than their incendiary Benny Hill routine. We can't afford to take these guys less than seriously.