PDA

View Full Version : Brown signed the Dream Act which gives American tax money to illegal college students

Elspeth
10-08-2011, 04:51 PM
So my taxes are now going to fund the COLLEGE of someone born in another country whose parents came over the border illegally. (These aren't even kids legally born here).

(Of course Brown signs this thing on a weekend. Coward.)

Gov. Jerry Brown has signed California Dream Act, legislator says
October 8, 2011 | 11:53 am

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2011/10/gov-jerry-brown-has-signed-california-dream-act-legislator-says.html

The lawmaker who authored the California Dream Act said Saturday that Gov. Jerry Brown has signed the bill allowing Illegal immigrants attending California universities to receive state financial aid.

Brown's office declined comment, and an announcement on the legislation has not yet been made.

But Assemblyman Gil Cedillo (D-Los Angeles) said he was notified Saturday morning by the governor's aides that Brown has approved the measure, which makes illegal immigrants who are accepted into state universities eligible, starting in 2013, for Cal-Grant assistance.

The governorís action also allows those without citizenship papers to tap into institutional grants while attending the University of California and California State University systems, and to get fee waivers in the California community college system.

What's worse, the illegals think they have a RIGHT to it and that Calfornians are being "selfish".

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2011/10/gov-jerry-brown-has-signed-california-dream-act-legislator-says.html

John Johnson

I don't agree with this at all. This is no step forward for California or the country either. We need to focus on citizens and not illegal immigrants. Yes. Illegal. Get citizenship before getting anything from this country. America needs to focus on it's own people, as I stated before.

I see this as a major step backwards for our people but I can see how it will bring forward a different positive other people are looking towards. It's going to hurt us all in this country, except all those who came here unfairly.
I do not support this bill whatsoever

Diana Ortiz ∑ Pomona College

When has being selfish ever resulted in good outcomes? Look at American History. People need to stop being narcissist and instead open their eyes to the needs of other people not only for the sake of humanity but because, morally, it's the right thing to do. Perhaps some people are so concerned about money money money... yes immigrants have always been scapecoats when it came to economic crisis. Once again I encourage you to look at the history that hasn't been taught to you. All this hate against undocumented immigrants is due to the ignorance about the contributions made by this percent of the working force in the U.S. You want to continue to oppress this population so that you get the benefits and ignore the circumstances in which they find themselves in, through the objectification of their labor and the denial of their huma...n rights. It is a shame to see so much hate from this world. I get so sad. You say, "It's going to hurt us all in this country, except..." Well let me tell you it won't hurt you as much as it has been hurting immigrants since the 1900s. Also you mention to get citizenship...etc. Well if you don't know many of these citizens find themselves in this country because of the foreign affairs that the U.S. has had in their home countries. IF you only knew the push and pull factors of immigration! Documents should not be an excuse to dehumanize people. Why does giving always has to have qualifications and requirement? What happened to treat your neighbor as yourself and give without expecting anything in return. This wold has inverted all the good values that our society should have. Also, "unfair"-who is entitled to talk about this. Unfair means: inequitable, prejudiced, biased, discriminatory; one-sided, unequal, uneven, unbalanced, partisan, partial, skewed.---Immigrants are the ones treated unfair. We should stop distorting reality and once again analyze your history and then come up with your own conclusions!See More

The money that they are taking is from all American citizens.l Look at this exchange from the LA Times blog:

Alyssa Shakur ∑ Evergreen

I can't believe this. It is already hard enough for me to get any aid yet I have to work two jobs.Now I have to compete with people that make no contribution to the funds they are receiving.

Arely Vasquez ∑ University High School

well if you think an education is worth it, then you will find a way to pay for it. It you're smart enough then apply for scholarships. Also, I'm pretty sure your descendants weren't born here. Are you Native American? Your own people had to struggle.

Don Honda ∑ Top Commenter

Arely Vasquez Please don't be hateful, be grateful.

Alyssa Shakur ∑ Evergreen

Arely Vasquez That same thing could be said about illegal immigrants but you are right, my family did have to struggle. I am part native American seeing as though it was common for slaves to reproduce with them-I am half black. Also, the other half of my family immigrated here legally and in no way did I come from a "rich" or "advantaged family" and I am the first to go to college. The difference between people like my family and illegal immigrants is that they never asked for a handout. In the depression never went on government aid. So dont give me a sob story the fact of the matter is life is tough for EVERYONE today and for people to be receiving money from a fund that they don't put into with taxes, that is definitely unfair. I don't care about private funding, but it is not the job of the government to fund illegal immigrants educations

There is a website going up later this week:

http://stopab131.com/

They're trying to get signatures for a ballot measure to undo this travesty. I'll be signing and donating.

Odysseus
10-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Dennis Prager called it when he compared the voters of California to the passengers of the Titanic, saying that at least the passengers didn't vote to hit the iceberg.

Elspeth
10-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Dennis Prager called it when he compared the voters of California to the passengers of the Titanic, saying that at least the passengers didn't vote to hit the iceberg.

This is such a beautiful state, the best weather in the country (except Hawaii). The best state school system. All the Assembly seems to be doing is make it near impossible for hard-working taxpayers to live here. Eventually the state will be the very wealthy along the coasts and the poor and illegal everywhere else. The middle class, the small businesses, will all be gone.

Novaheart
10-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure your descendants weren't born here. Are you Native American?

This bullshit makes sense to illegal aliens and their sympathizers.

I don't give a damn if the assembly did vote for this and the governor did sign it, it's malfeasance. Those politicians have a duty to guard the resources of the state and conduct themselves in the best interests of the citizens, not the illegal aliens. This is criminal as far as I am concerned. Mostly, it pisses me off.

So I would be OK with a federal law forbidding this. The presidency claims that only the feds can make immigration law, let's see them slap down the states that are giving citizenship rights to criminaliens.

Elspeth
10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure your descendants weren't born here. Are you Native American?

This bullshit makes sense to illegal aliens and their sympathizers.

I don't give a damn if the assembly did vote for this and the governor did sign it, it's malfeasance. Those politicians have a duty to guard the resources of the state and conduct themselves in the best interests of the citizens, not the illegal aliens. This is criminal as far as I am concerned. Mostly, it pisses me off.

So I would be OK with a federal law forbidding this. The presidency claims that only the feds can make immigration law, let's see them slap down the states that are giving citizenship rights to criminaliens.

That line is the one they always pull out of their hat.

I totally agree with you and wish you'd write a LTTE with an expanded version of what you said above. It's perfect.

SaintLouieWoman
10-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Maybe I'm dreaming, but thought that California was about bankrupt and trying to beg money from the feds to keep from going under. How in the world can they afford this?

It strike me the same way people who have no money for food for their kids still manage to buy the smokes and booze. I can't comprehend that logic, or lack of it.

Novaheart
10-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Maybe I'm dreaming, but thought that California was about bankrupt and trying to beg money from the feds to keep from going under. How in the world can they afford this?

It strike me the same way people who have no money for food for their kids still manage to buy the smokes and booze. I can't comprehend that logic, or lack of it.

I'm guessing that very few illegal aliens were actually paying out of state tuition rates, so the revenues to the colleges won't actually decrease. The larger issue is that these illegals are taking up space that is subsidized to the degree that the space is needed. Without them in the student seats, the colleges could eliminate the junior professors which teach those classes.

Novaheart
10-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Did you all catch the next headline ?

Gov. Jerry Brown ends fingerprinting for food stamp recipients

Elspeth
10-08-2011, 10:28 PM

We CAN'T afford this. That's one big problem. Unfortunately, the needs of illegal aliens are seen as far more important than making the state of California solvent.

Jerry Brown is going to get the biggest backlash that he's ever seen on this one. It's one thing to fund historically abused minorities who are citizens. It's quite another to fund foreign nationals whose parents criminally jumped the border.

Even many Democrats hate this bill and that's saying something.

Dan D. Doty
10-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Maybe the voters of California should recall Gov.Brown; if it was good enough for Grey, its good enough for Brown.

jediab
10-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Just another way to get more unregistered democrats into the state.

Novaheart
10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Just another way to get more unregistered democrats into the state.

Comments like that don't serve any useful purpose, which means they detract from legitimate issues. There are very few documented cases of illegal aliens voting in the US.

What there is plenty of evidence for is that a significant percentage of the hispanic or latino vote is or is perceived has having an allegiance to their ethnicityy over their nationality. No American should be supporting illegal aliens in this country. No American should be willing to accept that there Mexico has allowed or sponsored 5% to 10% of its population to illegally emigrate to the US. No American should be willing to listen to or side with members of his ethnic community who demand an open border or reconquista.

And no US politician whether it's Rick Perry or Jerry Brown should be pandering to a voting bloc that is unabashedly anti-American.

SaintLouieWoman
10-09-2011, 01:22 PM
We CAN'T afford this. That's one big problem. Unfortunately, the needs of illegal aliens are seen as far more important than making the state of California solvent.

Jerry Brown is going to get the biggest backlash that he's ever seen on this one. It's one thing to fund historically abused minorities who are citizens. It's quite another to fund foreign nationals whose parents criminally jumped the border.

Even many Democrats hate this bill and that's saying something.
But you forget, he's counting on those illegal alien votes. Hope the people of California rise up against this.

I've always loved California more than the East coast, but couldn't stand living there because of the taxes and poltics---and earthquakes. I collect crystal and don't think it would survive in an earthquake. :D

Novaheart
10-09-2011, 01:33 PM
But you forget, he's counting on those illegal alien votes. Hope the people of California rise up against this.

That's the most disturbing part, Brown isn't counting on the illegal aliens themselves voting. Their "right to vote" won't come until they are granted amnesty and apply for citizenship, and we have no reason to think that they won't end up as citizens (see Reagan).

No, the disturbing part is that he's pandering to people who are American citizens on paper, but who prefer to speak Spanish, and relish the idea of a Mexican rather than an American California.

Elspeth
10-09-2011, 02:41 PM
That's the most disturbing part, Brown isn't counting on the illegal aliens themselves voting. Their "right to vote" won't come until they are granted amnesty and apply for citizenship, and we have no reason to think that they won't end up as citizens (see Reagan).

No, the disturbing part is that he's pandering to people who are American citizens on paper, but who prefer to speak Spanish, and relish the idea of a Mexican rather than an American California.

They believe that California is theirs and that they should reconquer it.
http://archive.newsmax.com/articles/?a=2000/6/5/154335

Edited to add: I went on snopes.com to check out the veracity of some quotes I found about the reconquering of California and the Southwest (Reconquista) . Here are the quotes snopes.com verifies as being TRUE:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/hispanicleaders.asp

"Go back to Simi Valley, you skunks! Go back to Woodland Hills. Go back to Boston. Go back to Plymouth Rock, Pilgrims! Get out! We are the future. You are old and tired. Go on. We have beaten you. Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die... Through love of having children, we are going to take over." -- Augustin Cebada, Brown Berets

"They're afraid we're going to take over the governmental institutions and other institutions. They're right. We will take them over. We are here to stay." -- Richard Alatorre, Los Angeles City Councilman

"We have an aging white America. They are not making babies. They are dying. It is a matter of time. The explosion is in our population" -- Professor Jose Angel Gutierrez, University of Texas

"Remember: 187 (proposition to deny taxpayer funds for services to non-citizens) is the last gasp of white America in California. Understand that. And people say to me on the Senate floor when I was in the Senate, "Why do you fight so hard for affirmative action programs?" And I tell my white colleagues, "Because you're going to need them." -- Art Torres, Chairman of the California Democratic Party
(A month after making this statement, Torres was appointed Chairman of the California Democratic Party.)

"California is going to be a Hispanic state. Anyone who doesn't like it should leave." -- Mario Obledo, California Coalition of Hispanic Organizations and California State Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare under Governor Jerry Brown, also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Bill Clinton

"We are practicing 'La Reconquista' in California." -- Jose Pescador Osuna, Mexican Consul General

RobJohnson
10-10-2011, 10:43 AM
All this hate against undocumented immigrants is due to the ignorance about the contributions made by this percent of the working force in the U.S. You want to continue to oppress this population so that you get the benefits and ignore the circumstances in which they find themselves in,

Illegal immigrants are criminals. The only difference is they are not behind bars, but going to college on the state's dime. What a scam.

Novaheart
10-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Illegal immigrants are criminals. The only difference is they are not behind bars, but going to college on the state's dime. What a scam.

I can't see how this can go to court without the states being forced to either charge everyone the same tuition or to not give instate to illegal aliens.

How is is an equal application of the law to charge a Mexican $3600 a semester and charge a Canadian $7200 a semester simply because the Mexican has been illegally in the US for ten years and already has consumed at least $120,000 in state resources?

These "immigrant rights" activists act like the student having graduated from a California public high school is a qualification rather than further evidence of their drain on society.

And while we are on the subject, let's not let the Catholic Church off the hook. Catholic Schools have their share of illegal aliens attending there are well, each of which hopes to go on to a publicly supported college education.

The Catholic Church, the UMC, and the UCC especially are known for assisting illegal aliens in staying in this country illegally. Why do we let them get away with it? Because they are churches? Has ANYONE seen in the news a call to punish these churches for their complicity in this assault on American sovereignty? Of course not. Because when you wrap anything in religion the religionists act like it's off limits.

Elspeth
10-10-2011, 06:20 PM
I can't see how this can go to court without the states being forced to either charge everyone the same tuition or to not give instate to illegal aliens.

How is is an equal application of the law to charge a Mexican $3600 a semester and charge a Canadian $7200 a semester simply because the Mexican has been illegally in the US for ten years and already has consumed at least $120,000 in state resources?

What I see happening is other foreign nationals (Chinese, Saudi, Indian, etc.) demanding state taxpayer aid as well since, technically, the illegal alien is also a foreign national. How can we give money to one country's foreign nationals and not another's?

Odysseus
10-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Arely Vasquez ∑ University High School

well if you think an education is worth it, then you will find a way to pay for it. It you're smart enough then apply for scholarships. Also, I'm pretty sure your descendants weren't born here. Are you Native American? Your own people had to struggle.

Actually, my descendants were born here. I know, because I was there for the delivery. My children are my descendants. My ancestors, on the other hand, were also born here, at least, the last generation of them was. Before that, my ancestors came from Europe.

Perhaps University High School should reevaluate whether Mr. Vasquez is college material.

Elspeth
10-11-2011, 02:04 PM
[INDENT]

Perhaps University High School should reevaluate whether Mr. Vasquez is college material.

Or even high school material.:rolleyes:

Tipsycatlover
10-13-2011, 07:47 AM
What I see happening is other foreign nationals (Chinese, Saudi, Indian, etc.) demanding state taxpayer aid as well since, technically, the illegal alien is also a foreign national. How can we give money to one country's foreign nationals and not another's?

ALL illegals get in-state tuition. Not just those from mexico.

Odysseus
10-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Or even high school material.:rolleyes:
At this point, most of these lefties are comedy material, but only if you don't think too much about the cost of "educating" them.

ALL illegals get in-state tuition. Not just those from mexico.

Because my wife is British, our kids get dual citizenship (as does my wife, since she didn't have to renounce hers to become an American). So, can we get half-of the in-state discount if we claim that the British halves are here illegally? :D

Tipsycatlover
10-13-2011, 05:26 PM
At this point, most of these lefties are comedy material, but only if you don't think too much about the cost of "educating" them.

Because my wife is British, our kids get dual citizenship (as does my wife, since she didn't have to renounce hers to become an American). So, can we get half-of the in-state discount if we claim that the British halves are here illegally? :D

Did they go to high school in California? That's one of the requirements.

Odysseus
10-14-2011, 09:28 AM
My oldest was born there. Oh, wait! Damn! That means that she's ineligible. :mad:

Elspeth
10-14-2011, 09:24 PM

For now. Wait until they "update" the law.