PDA

View Full Version : Time Capsule Found At Former Bellevue Hospital

Rockntractor
10-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Time Capsule With Over 100-Year-Old Germs Found At Former Bellevue Hospital Medical College
October 7, 2011 2:47 PM

(credit: CBSNewYork)

Reporting Alex Silverman

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) - In 1897, a time capsule was sealed up and hidden away in the cornerstone of what was Bellevue Hospital Medical College in Manhattan. Now, it has been found.

WCBS 880′s Alex Silverman On The Story

A few weeks ago, that building at East 26th Street and 1st Avenue was demolished.

The contents of the time capsule were recovered and they’re now in the hands of New York University bacteriologist Dr. Martin Blaser, who says it was no ordinary time capsule.

“In addition to papers from that time and materials from students from the Bellevue Medical College and the newspaper the New York Sun from 1897, it also had a test tube that had some bacterial spores in it that were gotten and cultured from a patient in 1896,” Blaser told WCBS 880′s Alex Silverman.

Blaser says his team is trying to wake up those spores and grow them so they can study the organisms.

“We are interested in the question of whether seventy years of antibiotics is changing the organisms that live in the body. The organism that was put in the time capsule was a normal organism that lives in the human body. By having this organism and comparing it to present day organisms, we may have a chance to answer the question of whether our own organisms are changing or not,” said Blaser.

Blaser says the specimen was put there by a bacteriologist named Edward Dunham. He says Dunham was one of the city’s early bacteriologists and that it was he who first described that these bacteria actually form spores.

Blaser says that scientists knew spores could last a long time, but they didn’t know how long. There was even a note saying that he hoped future generations would record how long they lasted.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10/07/time-capsule-found-at-former-bellevue-hospital-medical-college/
Think of the germs!:eek:

CueSi
10-09-2011, 12:11 AM
and then there will be zombies.

~QC

Zathras
10-09-2011, 05:48 AM

~QC

Too late...there are already zombies in New York....they're the ones busy protesting Wall Street. :D

fettpett
10-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Too late...there are already zombies in New York....they're the ones busy protesting Wall Street. :D

:rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

noonwitch
10-10-2011, 09:07 AM

~QC

It's definitely the stuff of horror movie plots.

Odysseus
10-10-2011, 02:23 PM
It's definitely the stuff of horror movie plots.

The OWS zombies? Definitely. :eek:

noonwitch
10-10-2011, 02:46 PM
The OWS zombies? Definitely. :eek:

I meant the whole pulling a vial out of some ruins somewhere that has contaminated blood in it. Next thing you know, Mother Abigal and Randall Flagg are recruiting among the survivors.

CueSi
10-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I meant the whole pulling a vial out of some ruins somewhere that has contaminated blood in it. Next thing you know, Mother Abigal and Randall Flagg are recruiting among the survivors.

And THIS is why I wonder how Hollywood has run out of ideas. If three motherfuckers on the internet can take a news story and make a damn zombie movie out of it, how the hell are these assholes remaking footloose?

~QC

Rockntractor
10-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I should have known this was a lounge thread!:D

fettpett
10-10-2011, 08:16 PM
And THIS is why I wonder how Hollywood has run out of ideas. If three motherfuckers on the internet can take a news story and make a damn zombie movie out of it, how the hell are these assholes remaking footloose?

~QC

because it cost more money

Odysseus
10-10-2011, 11:38 PM

~QC

Remakes are safe. New ideas are risky.

If you are a producer, and don't really know anything about creating stories, then you are more concerned about justifying and surviving a bad decision than taking credit for a good one. Remaking Footloose is a justifiable decision, because it made money the first time. If it bombs, the suits can say that it seemed like a logical idea, and who knew that it would bomb? But taking a chance on a clever idea that's untested? If that bombs, there's no defense.

This is why in a couple of years, Jet Li will sign on to do the remake of the remake of the Karate Kid.

noworries
10-10-2011, 11:40 PM
because it cost more money

Still will not be as good as the original

noonwitch
10-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Still will not be as good as the original

The original was good? I never saw it at the theater, but watched it on cable and other than John Lithgow, it was bad acting with a good soundtrack. The only scene I liked was the "tractor chicken" one, mainly because I love the song "I'm Holding Out For A Hero".

The soundtrack was big in my college years, but most of the songs remind me of drunken fraternity bashes in Holidomes in places like Three Rivers or Lansing.

fettpett
10-12-2011, 09:38 AM

If you are a producer, and don't really know anything about creating stories, then you are more concerned about justifying and surviving a bad decision than taking credit for a good one. Remaking Footloose is a justifiable decision, because it made money the first time. If it bombs, the suits can say that it seemed like a logical idea, and who knew that it would bomb? But taking a chance on a clever idea that's untested? If that bombs, there's no defense.

This is why in a couple of years, Jet Li will sign on to do the remake of the remake of the Karate Kid.

correct.

also, it should have been Kung-fu Kid :rolleyes:

noonwitch
10-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Wouldn't that be a remake of a remake?

Some of the most creative Hollywood projects are now cable series. Game Of Thrones, True Blood, Justified, and so on-these are creative shows. The PBS/BBC production of Hamlet with Patrick Stewart and David Tennant was better than some movie versions of the play, although made on a much smaller budget than an overblown production like Brannagh's version was. Even Brannagh is making his Shakespeare films for cable now-he did a version of As You Like It for HBO.

Odysseus
10-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, that's the gag.

Some of the most creative Hollywood projects are now cable series. Game Of Thrones, True Blood, Justified, and so on-these are creative shows. The PBS/BBC production of Hamlet with Patrick Stewart and David Tennant was better than some movie versions of the play, although made on a much smaller budget than an overblown production like Brannagh's version was. Even Brannagh is making his Shakespeare films for cable now-he did a version of As You Like It for HBO.

You can get away with a lot more on cable because the budgets are lower, and the audience is built in. It's difficult to lose money, so the creative teams get to do what they want within reason. On the plus side, you get some great series and specials, but you can also get some self-indulgent crap, but even the crap has its interesting moments.

CueSi
10-12-2011, 02:03 PM

The justification in the case of our hypothetical zombie movie is - - Zombie movies are almost always hot, especially now. And it's been a while since we had one. So why not? Bellvue or an abandoned hospital keeps the budget low. We left it open ended to be revamped for sequels or a TV series a la The Walking Dead. It's not hard to justify anything if the would just fucking think about it.

Breaking Bad. Enough said. Vince Gillian has created a modern day morality play that sucks the viewer in.

~QC

fettpett
10-12-2011, 02:10 PM
The justification in the case of our hypothetical zombie movie is - - Zombie movies are almost always hot, especially now. And it's been a while since we had one. So why not? Bellvue or an abandoned hospital keeps the budget low. We left it open ended to be revamped for sequels or a TV series a la The Walking Dead. It's not hard to justify anything if the would just fucking think about it.

Breaking Bad. Enough said. Vince Gillian has created a modern day morality play that sucks the viewer in.

~QC

actually we're getting a Zombie movie (well suppose to they are having problems). It's a adaptation of World War-Z (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_z). Sadly it's staring Brad Pitt and there are rumblings of them taking huge liberates with the narrative. They also got the warehouse raided by a SWAT team in Budapest over their functional guns that they were using in the shoot.

Odysseus
10-12-2011, 02:45 PM
The operative word is "think". We're talking Hollywood, remember?

Okay, I'm just bitter because I couldn't get Mel Brooks to read my script for "Blazing Saddles 2: A Fistful of Pasta." :D

noonwitch
10-12-2011, 03:33 PM
actually we're getting a Zombie movie (well suppose to they are having problems). It's a adaptation of World War-Z (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_z). Sadly it's staring Brad Pitt and there are rumblings of them taking huge liberates with the narrative. They also got the warehouse raided by a SWAT team in Budapest over their functional guns that they were using in the shoot.

They cast Brad Pitt for us ladies. He's our "dumb blonde".

Odysseus
10-12-2011, 03:45 PM
They cast Brad Pitt for us ladies. He's our "dumb blonde".

Then they have type-cast him well. :D

fettpett
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Then they have type-cast him well. :D

could be worse, could be Tom Cruise...that idiot has to learn gun safety every time he shoots a movie that he has to use them

CueSi
10-16-2011, 02:11 AM
The operative word is "think". We're talking Hollywood, remember?

Okay, I'm just bitter because I couldn't get Mel Brooks to read my script for "Blazing Saddles 2: A Fistful of Pasta." :D

Yeah. . . or they read it and will probably rip it off and use it in another script. It's been known to happen.

could be worse, could be Tom Cruise...that idiot has to learn gun safety every time he shoots a movie that he has to use them

I try not to think about Tom Cruise and his gun skills, or lackthereof.

~QC