PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Terror Plot

fettpett
10-11-2011, 05:54 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/us-iran-tied-terror-plot-washington-dc-disrupted/story?id=14711933

Iran 'Directed' Washington, D.C., Terror Plot, U.S. Says

By RICHARD ESPOSITO and BRIAN ROSS (@brianross)
Oct. 11, 2011
FBI and DEA agents have disrupted a plot to commit a "significant terrorist act in the United States" tied to Iran, federal officials told ABC News today.

The officials said the plot included the assassination of the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States, Adel Al-Jubeir, with a bomb and subsequent bomb attacks on the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Washington, D.C. Bombings of the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Buenos Aires, Argentina, were also discussed, according to the U.S. officials.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in an announcement today that the plan was "conceived, sponsored and was directed from Iran" by a faction of the government and called it a "flagrant" violation of U.S. and international law.

"The U.S. is committed to holding Iran accountable for its actions," Holder said.

I wonder if anyone is connecting this plot with Fast and Furious, according to the story I heard earlier the Iranian's were working with Mexican drug cartels.

ironhorsedriver
10-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Looks more to me like they are trying to take fast and furious off the front burner.

Elspeth
10-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Looks more to me like they are trying to take fast and furious off the front burner.

Ahh....

fettpett
10-12-2011, 09:22 AM

yeah, i can see that too....wont stop Issa and other GOP, but my thought was more on that Fast and Furious was an operation to get into the drug cartels to uncover the plot..

or that's how they'll spin it. I still believe that this Administration was trying to drum up anti-gun sentiment.

Odysseus
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
yeah, i can see that too....wont stop Issa and other GOP, but my thought was more on that Fast and Furious was an operation to get into the drug cartels to uncover the plot..

or that's how they'll spin it. I still believe that this Administration was trying to drum up anti-gun sentiment.

More than that. They were trying to make the case that American guns were making their way to the cartels and were planning to use that case as a rational for stricter gun controls. It was Obama's attempt at a Reichstag fire.

I don't believe that this is an attempt to circumvent the F&F investigation so much as an actual attempt at an assassination. The Iranians loathe the Saudis and vice versa. The didn't specifically target Americans, but there would have been collateral damage, especially given the planned location of the hit and the nature of the attack, plus the murder of a Saudi diplomat on US soil would humilate both them and us, but the main target is the Saudis. The call for more sanctions is a tepid response for what is clearly an act of war, but the Saudis will no doubt retaliate through their own devices, mainly oil price manipulation. The last time Iran pissed off Saudi Arabia, the Saudis nearly bankrupted Iran. I have no doubt that they will do so again. If we were smart, we would take advantage of the financial pressure to encourage the anti-regime elements to sieze the initiative and coordinate regime change. If we are not smart, we will take this to the UN or some other toothless multinational agency, where it will go nowhere. Given who is in charge, I'd say that we can expect the State Department to begin flinging the most powerful adjectives at their disposal any minute now.

fettpett
10-12-2011, 03:56 PM
More than that. They were trying to make the case that American guns were making their way to the cartels and were planning to use that case as a rational for stricter gun controls. It was Obama's attempt at a Reichstag fire.

I don't believe that this is an attempt to circumvent the F&F investigation so much as an actual attempt at an assassination. The Iranians loathe the Saudis and vice versa. The didn't specifically target Americans, but there would have been collateral damage, especially given the planned location of the hit and the nature of the attack, plus the murder of a Saudi diplomat on US soil would humilate both them and us, but the main target is the Saudis. The call for more sanctions is a tepid response for what is clearly an act of war, but the Saudis will no doubt retaliate through their own devices, mainly oil price manipulation. The last time Iran pissed off Saudi Arabia, the Saudis nearly bankrupted Iran. I have no doubt that they will do so again. If we were smart, we would take advantage of the financial pressure to encourage the anti-regime elements to sieze the initiative and coordinate regime change. If we are not smart, we will take this to the UN or some other toothless multinational agency, where it will go nowhere. Given who is in charge, I'd say that we can expect the State Department to begin flinging the most powerful adjectives at their disposal any minute now.

oh, no, I believe the plot was real. but as soon as I heard that the Mexican drug cartels were in on it and connected it to F&F, just thought that was the reason why they've been denying it and trying to cover it up because it was part of the operation to uncover this plot....or if that lead to us finding out about this plot. It in no way excuses F&F or makes it any less of an illegal operation