PDA

View Full Version : No, no, no, never................

marv
10-12-2011, 03:42 PM
From New York Times reporter Bill Vlasic's new book, "Once Upon A Car," (http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2011/10/new_book_says_general_motors_w.html)
(snip)

"[In] July of 2008, the CEO of General Motors, Rick Wagoner, decided to approach Bill Ford and Alan Mulally, the Chairman and Chief Executive of Ford Motor Company, about a merger. The way I describe it in the book is, 'this would have been the moment when the Big Three would really have become the Big One.' [It was] completely out of character for GM to do this and [was] turned down flat by Ford Motor Company,"

(snip)
As a loyal Ford owner, I think I can say that it would never have happened. NEVER.

noonwitch
10-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Ford couldn't have afforded to buy GM, even if they had wanted to. Mulalley saved the company and got them on strong ground, but Ford was never the largest US automaker. That was GM, and there is no way that Ford could have merged or bought them out, no matter how good they are doing right now.

Part of what saved Ford was getting rid of unsuccessful model lines, like the re-invented Cougar from a few years ago, and the Crown Victoria, which only police departments were buying. Plus, they returned to making the Taurus, which has been a very popular and safe car. GM has been slow to do this, and they screwed up by getting rid of some of their best cars, like Oldsmobiles. My 68 Cutlass from high school was an awesome car, even 13 years down the road when I drove it. A 2011 Chevy Cruz feels like it's going to fall apart when it goes over the railroad tracks (we have some at work). The new Camaro is cool, though, I have to admit that.

SarasotaRepub
10-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I couldn't see this ever getting approval.