PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Principal Takes Aim at Fall Holidays, Says They're Insensitive

bijou
10-15-2011, 01:15 PM
An elementary school principal in Massachusetts has banned fall holidays, saying they’re insensitive, MyFoxBoston reported Friday.

Anne Foley, the principal at Kennedy School in Somerville, Mass., sent an email to teachers warning them about celebrating Thanksgiving, the Boston Herald reported.

"When we were young we might have been able to claim ignorance of the atrocities that Christopher Columbus committed against the indigenous peoples," Kennedy School Principal Anne Foley wrote.

"We can no longer do so. For many of us and our students celebrating this particular person is an insult and a slight to the people he annihilated. On the same lines, we need to be careful around the Thanksgiving Day time as well."

Teachers have already been told not to let students dress up for Halloween.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/15/massachusetts-principal-bans-fall-holidays-says-theyre-insensitive/#ixzz1as6TMYmR

Tipsycatlover
10-15-2011, 02:38 PM
The man is clearly insane. He has no business being around children, or indeed anyone.

NJCardFan
10-15-2011, 02:45 PM
This is the world the left wants.

Novaheart
10-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Too broad of a brush. The only people I am aware of who whine on Columbus Day and Thanksgiving are some folks who have bought into the whole "American Genocide" bullshit, and most of them have another agenda like Reconquista, "immigrant rights", or a variety of Indians and ersatz Indians (caucasians whose great grandmother was a Cherokee princess, YKTD) who think we should return the land to "native ways (Stone Age)".

Yeah, like any of these jackasses would last under the laws of the Stone Age.

JB
10-16-2011, 02:01 PM
...sent an email to teachers warning them about celebrating ThanksgivingYou can have my turkey and stuffing when you...well, you know the rest.

Elspeth
10-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Way to crap on Italian Americans too, but I guess some ethnicities are more important than others.

txradioguy
10-16-2011, 04:07 PM

It's the world they are getting too.

Try and find a school calendar anymore that lists "Christmas Break" or "Easter Break" or the days off.

Hell they are banning traditional Christmas Music from the "Winter Holiday" music programs. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
10-16-2011, 04:49 PM
This teacher must show up for work on Thanksgiving Day and Columbus day as well. They are no longer allowed to enjoy the benefit of having the days off.

Odysseus
10-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Too broad of a brush. The only people I am aware of who whine on Columbus Day and Thanksgiving are some folks who have bought into the whole "American Genocide" bullshit, and most of them have another agenda like Reconquista, "immigrant rights", or a variety of Indians and ersatz Indians (caucasians whose great grandmother was a Cherokee princess, YKTD) who think we should return the land to "native ways (Stone Age)".

Yeah, like any of these jackasses would last under the laws of the Stone Age.

You've pretty much described the vast majority of leftists. They do buy into the "American Genocide" meme, and many of them do have other agendas, including the environmentalists, who decry the industrialization of North America, the various immigration activists and the various other pathologies that pass for thought on the left.

Clearly, this principal has bought into one or more of those agendas. I would say that such insensitivity to the nation's holidays and the sensibilities of hundreds of millions of Americans who do celebrate Thanksgiving and consider Columbus a hero (despite the worst efforts of propagandists) makes her unfit to teach, much less run a school. She should be subjected to extended bouts of sensitivity training until she no longer feels the need to mouth off about the holidays celebrated by her students, or until what passes for her brains begin oozing out of her ears (a common end result of such training, or so I am told), whichever comes first.

fettpett
10-16-2011, 09:46 PM
You've pretty much described the vast majority of leftists. They do buy into the "American Genocide" meme, and many of them do have other agendas, including the environmentalists, who decry the industrialization of North America, the various immigration activists and the various other pathologies that pass for thought on the left.

oh man, I have run into that stupid meme in not only a history class but a sociology class :vomit: Particularly pissed me off when the damn stupid sociology teacher tried to sit there and tell us that George Washington wiped out entire villages of Iroquois for no reason, which was a blatant lie. And that we passed out smallpox blankets on purpose. :mad::mad::mad::mad: very few things piss me off more than blatantly getting history wrong and badmouthing a Great man at the same time

Odysseus
10-16-2011, 09:57 PM
oh man, I have run into that stupid meme in not only a history class but a sociology class :vomit: Particularly pissed me off when the damn stupid sociology teacher tried to sit there and tell us that George Washington wiped out entire villages of Iroquois for no reason, which was a blatant lie. And that we passed out smallpox blankets on purpose. :mad::mad::mad::mad: very few things piss me off more than blatantly getting history wrong and badmouthing a Great man at the same time

Your prof neglected to mention that the Iroquois had sided with the British and carried out a series of massacres in western New York and Pennsylvania, which was why Washington sent the troops out the first place. Those tribes that didn't ally themselves with the British were left alone. The Mohawk tribe still occupies a small part of upstate New York.

NJCardFan
10-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Your prof neglected to mention that the Iroquois had sided with the British and carried out a series of massacres in western New York and Pennsylvania, which was why Washington sent the troops out the first place. Those tribes that didn't ally themselves with the British were left alone. The Mohawk tribe still occupies a small part of upstate New York.
But I thought Uncus was the last of the Mohicans?

fettpett
10-17-2011, 12:09 AM

yes, thus why I was mad....stupid Marxist idiot (she admitted she was a follower of Marx).

noonwitch
10-17-2011, 09:15 AM
This teacher must show up for work on Thanksgiving Day and Columbus day as well. They are no longer allowed to enjoy the benefit of having the days off.

They get Columbus Day off from school? Since when? We never got that off when I was in school. I agree that this principal should have to report to work on those days, though.

Thanksgiving is part of american history, and should be taught as such.

Novaheart
10-17-2011, 09:38 AM

I followed the tale about Lord Jeffrey Amherst around the web a couple of times. This bit of disinformation keeps going back to a place called "nativeweb" (http://www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/amherst/lord_jeff.html) which employs the tactic often found in places like Family Research Center and AFA of covering-ass by saying "some people say otherwise but..." and then going on the most unfounded stuff, often footnoting to themselves.

But to the best of my knowledge, nativeweb has no more responsibility to the public than Stormfront does. More disturbing is when you find this kind of crap on .edu websites.

It takes a special kind of fool to claim that Columbus unleashed genocide on the American aboriginals, and to then claim that Jeffrey Amherst was responsible for the same destruction some 250 years later. But that doesn't stop them.

NJCardFan
10-17-2011, 10:10 AM
They get Columbus Day off from school? Since when? We never got that off when I was in school. I agree that this principal should have to report to work on those days, though.

Thanksgiving is part of american history, and should be taught as such.

I remember getting Columbus Day off.

txradioguy
10-17-2011, 10:39 AM

DoD schools were closed Columbus Day.

Novaheart
10-17-2011, 02:26 PM

I can't specifically remember getting off on Columbus Day, but the odds are I did at least once.

Articulate_Ape
10-17-2011, 06:22 PM
The only issue that I have with Columbus Day is that Columbus wasn't the first to discover North America. He was a Chrissy come lately.

Odysseus
10-17-2011, 08:16 PM
yes, thus why I was mad....stupid Marxist idiot (she admitted she was a follower of Marx).
Being a follower of Marx should be a bar to teaching. It's like admitting to being a follower of Hitler or any other philosopher of mass murder.

I followed the tale about Lord Jeffrey Amherst around the web a couple of times. This bit of disinformation keeps going back to a place called "nativeweb" (http://www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/amherst/lord_jeff.html) which employs the tactic often found in places like Family Research Center and AFA of covering-ass by saying "some people say otherwise but..." and then going on the most unfounded stuff, often footnoting to themselves.

But to the best of my knowledge, nativeweb has no more responsibility to the public than Stormfront does. More disturbing is when you find this kind of crap on .edu websites.

It takes a special kind of fool to claim that Columbus unleashed genocide on the American aboriginals, and to then claim that Jeffrey Amherst was responsible for the same destruction some 250 years later. But that doesn't stop them.
FRC usually just publishes stats from peer-reviewed studies. No wonder you can't stand them.

I can't specifically remember getting off on Columbus Day, but the odds are I did at least once.

Must you?

NJCardFan
10-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Thank you for proving that you are really an idiot 12 year old in disguise.

Rockntractor
10-17-2011, 08:49 PM
The only issue that I have with Columbus Day is that Columbus wasn't the first to discover North America. He was a Chrissy come lately.

Leif got off the boat, decided it was too much to mow and went home.